The most identifiable jazz composer

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Teddy Edwards, I think. But I don't think I've heard any Teddy Edwards songs played by anyone else, so I'm not sure how recognisable they'd be. But they all have a very down to earth feel about them and a good groove, as well as sounding as if they were meant to have words - Teddy wrote his own words to many, which were also very down to earth.

MG

Monk, Mingus, Wayne, and Pat Metheny. You know a Metheny melody right off, the phrasing, and the kind of chords.... he has a distinct harmonic sense in his tunes. Now, one could argue that you can't tell whether Lyle Mays or Pat wrote the melody lines of some of their greatest tunes, but Pat is more concerned with singable melody, and Lyle's melodies to me have more of a sense of a "process" to them, if you know what I mean.

For me, it's Gil Evans. No one uses instruments like he does.

Except Herbie on "Speak Like a Child" and "The Prisoner".

And speaking of Herbie...

...how about Wayne for this thread?? The tunes he wrote for Miles sure are incredibly distinctive, as as nearly all of his other tunes (at least in the 60's - I'm less familiar with his tunes after about 1970). Same with Herbie, for that matter.

I believe those charts were done not by Herbie but Thad Jones. Herbie's tunes, though. Correct me if I'm wrong. Don't think I am, though.

I'd have to say Monk too. Nice to find that so many people are like me, in that they find it easy to recognize a composition as being by Monk, not so easy to put a name to it. Except for a few like "In Walked Bud," "Well, You Needn't," and a few others, I usually can't say which Monk tune I'm hearing without some help. ...But I know it's Monk!!!!!!!!

• 6 years later...

Monk, Mingus, Ornette, Golson would be my first-tier. Among those I usually recognize, Benny Carter. As a collective effort (as opposed to a single composer, I find the head arrangements for the Basie band (classic era) to be distinctive.

Anyone want to include Bird? I think I would.

thad jones big band compositions are very distinctive/identifiable. and i know many here would scoff, but allan holdsworth is definitely one of the most immediately identifiable composers (and players) in the history of modern music. it's instantaneous. he's one of the most unique musicians i can think of...

Edited by thedwork

For me, it's Gil Evans. No one uses instruments like he does.

Except Herbie on "Speak Like a Child" and "The Prisoner".

And speaking of Herbie...

...how about Wayne for this thread?? The tunes he wrote for Miles sure are incredibly distinctive, as as nearly all of his other tunes (at least in the 60's - I'm less familiar with his tunes after about 1970). Same with Herbie, for that matter.

I believe those charts were done not by Herbie but Thad Jones. Herbie's tunes, though. Correct me if I'm wrong. Don't think I am, though.

Not sure I've ever heard that (that Thad did the charts), but I have no idea, either way.

Anybody know?