The most identifiable jazz composer

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Monk is the most obvious one to me.

Eric Dolphy as well.

It's difficult. Are we talking recognising the changes during solos? I could pick Monk then. If we're talking hearing the melody, perhaps Ellington? I don't know.

A really interesting question, though - I'm interested to see what people say! For example, I don't think I'd get Herbie Hancock compositions necessarily.

I agree

with Hardbopjazz - I've gotten pretty good at spotting Monk's tunes.

with Sal - Hancock's music has a fairly distinct flavor (even across genres - straight ahead jazz, funk, etc.) although I have been known to confuse a Hankcock tune with one from Wayne Shorter.

After exposure to Bobby Timmons - This Here Is Bobb Timmons, I could spot his stuff fairly consistently.

I've heard lots of Monk covers that I'd be hard-pressed to pick as being written by him. Same with a lot of the folks mentioned so far.

I'd vote for Ellington, especially the later stuff. Not that the longer suites have been covered much anyway, but the compositions - and in this case I'm embracing the players, the arrangements, everything, as every aspect seems vitally part of the music and interdepedent - are instantly identifiable.

Misha Mengelberg.

No matter what he compose,they always sound fantastic to my ears.

Saw/heard him live in my hometown 3 years ago with Han Bennink and some bass player whose name I've forgot already.

I was grinning throughout their performance. I was a happy man in the next few hours.

I can almost always tell that it's a Monk tune, at least the better-known ones; however, I can'tt always put the title to the tune. But I did win tickets on a radio call-in contest once on the local jazz station (WPFW) by correctly identifying Monk's "Ruby, My Dear" :g