Clifford Brown With Strings

Late

Eddie Sauter, maybe? Maybe? In 1955?

Part of it's an A&R issue, the same one that befell Bird, a real lack of understanding of what stings can do in jazz rather than just play pads or otherwise sound "sophisticated" (and in anything BUT that), So the A&R people just want something "nice", not understanding that "nice" and "blah" are not the same thing.

OTOH, Hefti did "Repetition" and that WAS a true landmark (of sorts). But I still look at Hefti as a "singles band". His hits kept coming, but over the long haul....a Greates Hits album works just fine.

But Bob Freedman would have been the guy if chronology was not a real thing:

Clifford's playing with those charts....yeah.

There's not enough Bob Freedman in the world, at least not that I can find.

22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Eddie Sauter, maybe? Maybe? In 1955?

Part of it's an A&R issue, the same one that befell Bird, a real lack of understanding of what stings can do in jazz rather than just play pads or otherwise sound "sophisticated" (and in anything BUT that), So the A&R people just want something "nice", not understanding that "nice" and "blah" are not the same thing.

OTOH, Hefti did "Repetition" and that WAS a true landmark (of sorts). But I still look at Hefti as a "singles band". His hits kept coming, but over the long haul....a Greates Hits album works just fine.

But Bob Freedman would have been the guy if chronology was not a real thing:

Clifford's playing with those charts....yeah.

There's not enough Bob Freedman in the world, at least not that I can find.

Why overlook the obvious? Tadd Dameron.

11 minutes ago, Milestones said:

Here are some records with strings that I like quite a bit:

• Forever Love--Mark Whitfield
  • Rush Hour--Joe Lovano
  • Focus--Stan Getz
  • Fly With The Wind--McCoy Tyner

The first two albums don't use strings on every track.  The variety is interesting.

I started a "with Strings" thread a few years back that can still be found.

I think there is a big difference between records placing a jazz guy in an orchestral setting and what I think of as the "with strings" albums.  The former category, including Focus, seem to aim for a hybrid between jazz and symphonic music. The "with Strings" albums lean more toward creating a relaxed late-night mood, consisting primarily of ballads  played by the soloist with "romantic" strings.  There must be albums that fall on a spectrum someplace between the two.