AMG facelift

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this have something to do with the AMG SonicGuide?

I wouldn't bet that AMG is becoming entirely a pay-site, because the risk of failure is rather high. It is difficult today to sell content that mainly consists in databases of freely available information (discographies, trackslists). The real selling argument would be the revews, but they are too sketchy right now.

The data is obviously placed by software, because it is riddled with errors, some quite hilarious. I looked up my name and found out that I had worked with Charlie Green! I was five when he died. That's only one blatant error, there are man, many more, throughout AMG. Before they add sound and other embellishments, I think they ought to check out what they have and make corrections.

The data is obviously placed by software, because it is riddled with errors, some quite hilarious. I looked up my name and found out that I had worked with Charlie Green! I was five when he died. That's only one blatant error, there are man, many more, throughout AMG. Before they add sound and other embellishments, I think they ought to check out what they have and make corrections.

What is a tolerable error ratio for a database like AMG's?

http://www.allmusic.com/amg_stats.html

• 2 weeks later...

I got this e-mail from AMG a few days ago:

Now for the big news: allmusic.com is undergoing a well-deserved makeover! Shhhh...don’t tell anyone. It’s a secret that only Insiders know.

In the coming months, look for the unveiling of a completely revamped site with expanded content, improved functionality, and a compelling new look. Feedback from our users was a direct inspiration for much of the new site. We’ve listened to your suggestions and requests and we’ve responded.

The new allmusic will remain completely free to our users. However, access to portions of the site that have been designated as Premium Content will require registration through a simple online form. Is the Premium Content worth registering for? You tell us!

Premium Content includes:

Music Samples – Over 5 million samples woven throughout the site

Advanced Search – An expanded search function that powers more refined search of the allmusic archive. Additions include expanded search terms (i.e. birth date, birth place, UPC) and the ability to search using multiple search terms (i.e. search for indie rock albums with an AMG Rating greater than 3 stars)

Expanded Artist Info

Expanded Album Info

New Editorial Features – AMG will guide you through an exploration of the “best of the best” where you’ll discover both critically acclaimed notables and lesser-known gems in thousands of categories.

The allmusic site generates revenue only through advertising and the sale of products through its commerce partners. Registration allows us to gather limited information about our users in order to attract more relevant partners. AMG does not sell, rent or trade the personal information of its users and individual personal information is never shared outside of AMG. Only aggregate information is shared with third parties (i.e. 30% of our users are between the ages of x and y, or x% of our users are from outside the US.)

I got that, too, after signing on - out of sheer curiousity - to become what they are calling "an AMG insider".

I wouldn't bet on the service - which I uses dozens, perhaps hundreds of times each and every working day - staying free forever.

But reading between the lines of this, it sounds to be like they've done their research and crunched the numbers and discovered that, for the time being at least, they'd lose more than they'd gain by charging fees.

I'd be pissed off to lose use of their site, despite its flaws, but I'm sure I could find most of what I want/need through Google searches. It'd just a while longer, that's all.

Edited by kenny weir

That's maybe the most Smilies Chuck's ever used in a single post, ever!!

Chuck, I remember you saying back on the old BNBB about how you about never used Smileys (which got you in trouble for never using the 'winky' one - ;) ). Two clicks later, and I was looking at page after page of your posts - and you were right, I could only find maybe one or two with any Smilies at all.

You tryin' to make up for lost time, or somethin'?? ^_^

• 1 month later...

Was AMG taken down for a relaunch, possibly with the pay element? I haven't been able to access it since Friday. Very annoying since I am working on my next BFT and it helps to check AMG to see if some choices can be easily identified or not.

I kind of figured this development would be mentioned here by now-is it possible this is limited to the Gould household???

:tdown

That's maybe the most Smilies Chuck's ever used in a single post, ever!!

Chuck, I remember you saying back on the old BNBB about how you about never used Smileys (which got you in trouble for never using the 'winky' one - ;) ). Two clicks later, and I was looking at page after page of your posts - and you were right, I could only find maybe one or two with any Smilies at all.

You tryin' to make up for lost time, or somethin'?? ^_^

Actually, I remember that very post very well, too! I believe Chuck said that he had used smileys maybe two or three times ever, raising questions if maybe these rare posts by Chuck could even have a commercial value on eBay. I tried to find them by inserting the code level versions of the smileys, but the BNBB "search function" (anyone remember that one, eh?) couldn't handle them...

Well, I had bookmarked allmusic.com, but now I see the link above is allmusic.com/index.

Then again, my allmusic.com link works now. All I can say is, weird!

And thanks for giving me a functional link! My withdrawal symptoms were only slightly less painful than when the board was down .... ;)

FYI, I got this in my e-mail earlier today...

Dear Rooster,

Construction continues on the complete makeover of allmusic.com. The new site is really taking shape and we can’t wait to share it with you. We are currently hoping for an early July launch, but that’s a tentative date as a site of this size and complexity tends to have its own timetable.

In the meantime, we wanted to take a moment to share with the AMG Insiders some of what you’ll soon be seeing.

• Lovely to behold. The first thing you’ll notice is that the new site is just downright attractive. Don’t worry, the content is still the star, but the new design really showcases that content in an engaging and easy-to-use manner.

• All music. Our very extensive classical content has been a well-kept secret for too long. The new site integrates our popular music and classical music content into one singular site so that you’ll be able to truly explore all music.

• Search. The Holy Grail. This one is near and dear to our hearts and yours. Our goal is to give you more sophisticated tools for searching the database and for navigating the search results. We’re developing an Advanced Search that will enable you to search by new criteria and by multiple criteria. Additionally, we’re improving the search output with features such as making the results sortable by every field. For now we’re going to be a bit of a tease and leave any more details about search for a later date.

• The AMG View. One thing you’ll notice on the new allmusic is a much more front and center position for the views of the AMG editors. One thing we’ve heard loud and clear from our users is that they want to hear what the AMG editors’ opinions are, what they’re listening to, what they recommend, etc. So, we’ll be bringing you regular features that will give you the AMG take on the world of music. Wonder what albums AMG Editor Stephen Thomas Erlewine would take to a desert island? Interested in hearing what the AMG editors think are the best releases from the last three months? Want to know what’s in AMG Contributor Richie Unterberger’s player? Tune in and get the AMG view.

• Music to your ears. You’ll have access to over 5.8 million samples, the largest sample catalog in the world. Listen to everything from the latest chart toppers to out of print gems, and from rock to Rachmaninoff.

• So long clutter. We’ve added two strong organizational elements to our Artist and Album sections that greatly enhance data presentation and navigation:

• Tabs: We’ve added a tab system to better organize the volume of information we have on each artist and album, rather than inundating you with everything at once. Each artist and each album page will be organized into the following tabs:

• Artist: Overview, Biography, Discography, Songs, Credits, Charts & Awards

• Album: Overview, Review, Credits, Charts & Awards

• Sidebar: We’ve added a sidebar on each artist and album page that contains the basic information about the selected artist or album. The sidebar is the anchor for the selected artist or album and travels with each tab so that basic information is always available.

That’s all for now. Stay tuned. More details to come, including some fun benefits and opportunities only for AMG Insiders!!