Joe Henderson - So Near, So Far

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was shorthand for what I meant -- i.e. gestures of extremity that seemed more or less pasted on to a more conventional discourse.. And I'm not talking about this polnt but some point or points rather early on in JH's career. In any case -- here we are now in 2022, not the early 1960s. Who cares?

Listened to this one again, probably haven't played it since it was new. That alone speaks for itself. All participants play as they always did in those years.  I saw Joe perform many times, as he toured Europe every year, and without the producers' inputs all his albums would have sounded pretty similar. I got to meet him personally shortly after the Strayhorn album when he was checking out a club with his German touring agent where I happened to play with a local singer. He admitted he couldn't play the Strayhorn pieces live as he did not have the time to rehearse these tunes with the pickup rhythm sections he had to use. 

As great as it was, he always played pretty much the same no matter who accompanied him or what tune he improvised on. Same here. As for Scofiled, he wanted to be recognized as his own man, it may be as simple as that. I played with a local guitarist who adored him but never copied his sound, just some licks and the voicings and harmonic ideas. 

As I probably will only pull it out again after another 30 years, I might as well give it away .... but Joe is the best player, IMO, on this disc. That might be the reason to keep it. Foster's bashing his crash cymbal a bit too often for my taste.

Edited by mikeweil