Charles Mingus as Private Eye Jazz Composer

Teasing the Korean

I envision an alternate universe in which Mingus is lured to Hollywood in the late 1950s and is hired to score a crime/private eye drama.

Imagine this as theme to M-Squad.

This track could be great for chase scenes:

This would be great for establishing shots of the concrete jungle.

The passage beginning at around 1:10 would be great for a club scene with an exotic dancer.

And this could work as a recurring theme for the private eye's love interest, especially if they have a complex relationship.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

26 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

Which contemporary actor could play such score?

Don't know.  But it would be really interesting if a contemporary composer with jazz chops arranged these Mingus compositions for a gumshoe film or TV show.  You could even get away with Mingus's actual recordings if you edited them.  

How much of this is due to Mingus’s roots as a third stream composer?

FWIW in the liner notes to Mingus Dynasty he makes derogatory comments about film music but also implies that “Far Wells, Mill Valley” is inspired by it.

Edited by Guy Berger

32 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

How much of this is due to Mingus’s roots as a third stream composer?

FWIW in the liner notes to Mingus Dynasty he makes derogatory comments about film music but also implies that “Far Wells, Mill Valley” is inspired by it.

Great question, and I don't know!

18 minutes ago, JSngry said:

If jazz became TV, what would be left for jazz to be?

Jazz already is TV.

TV Action Jazz! is not only the greatest album title of all-time, but it is also in the running for the greatest LP of all time, trailing only slightly behind Jazz Heat, Bongo Beat.

16 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I myself am glad we have the Mingus we have here not in TV production. 

Mingus may have lived much longer if he had a steady day gig and health insurance.  Then again, that didn't work for Oliver Nelson, did it?

Edited by Teasing the Korean

2 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Mingus may have lived much longer if he had a steady day gig and health insurance.  Then again, that didn't work for Oliver Nelson.

He might have lived longer, making a lot of drivel. Then again he probably would throw temper tantrums and become blacklisted and drink himself to death.

Just now, JSngry said:

Business is almost by definition a trailing indicator. "Art", not so much.

1 minute ago, jazzbo said:

He might have lived longer, making a lot of drivel. Then again he probably would throw temper tantrums and become blacklisted and drink himself to death.

These kinds of distinctions are not as cut and dried as some may believe.  If you believe that film music can't be "art," I would suggest that you spend some time with Jerry Goldsmith's Chinatown score.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Help? As in euthanasia?

Well, there's that...

TV needs help too. I got fifty banillion stations and all the "new " shows are either the old shows perved out or else they OD on irony.

Hell, society needs help. We're all hoping for the 20th century to somehow pick back up again in some form or fashion. Ain't gonna happen and time's a-waistin'.

12 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Then again, that didn't work for Oliver Nelson.

Oliver Nelson was a Marine.

Charles Mingus wasn't.

I think his "always work" impulses drove him into the Marines, not the other way around. But I doubt that his Marine experience did anything to cause him to reconsider...

Mingus was the rebellious son of a hardass ex-Army sergeant, so do the math on that one...