2022 MLB Season Thread

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at the first month's schedule and thought it was an awful lot of road games for the Red Sox but playing more at Fenway isn't going to solve this team's issues, and at 7.5 out of first place, its not far from the point where it is getting late early out there.

I thought Country Joe West and Angel Hernandez were the worst of the worst but there's a new ump in the competition:

MLB is f*cked up if they don't announce a suspension of this asshat. Or frankly, that he's been fired.

• 3 weeks later...

The nightcap to yesterday’s Angels-Yankees doubleheader was one of the more thrilling regular-season games I’ve seen in some time. Taillon taking a perfecto into the 8th, finally surrendering two hits that put the Angels up 1-0, then Rizzo pinch-hitting a two-out, two-run single for NY in the bottom of the 8th, and finally the Yanks’ newly-annointed closer Clay Holmes, who’s been nearly indomitable with his 100-mph sinker, loading the bases with two outs in the top of the 9th (which featured ABs from Ohtani and Trout) before IKF’s throw to first just barely retired Rengifo on a ground ball up the middle. Phew. 

On a more general note, David Cone mentioned during the game that collective MLB BA for the year so far is .240—a number that if sustained would be the lowest since 1968. MLB lowered the mound following that season, and next year they’re going to ban the shift. (If robo-ump is ever introduced for balls and strikes, that will help hitters too—at least if the one study I’ve heard cited is accurate, that more balls are called as strikes than vice-versa. It will also, overnight, greatly diminish, if not completely eliminate, the value of a catcher’s ability to frame.)

Edited by ghost of miles

On 5/6/2022 at 1:58 PM, Dan Gould said:

I thought Country Joe West and Angel Hernandez were the worst of the worst but there's a new ump in the competition:

MLB is f*cked up if they don't announce a suspension of this asshat. Or frankly, that he's been fired.

Eric Gregg was easily one of the worst umpires, particularly during the Braves-Marlins playoff game. Practically every outside pitch was called a strike, no matter how far off the plate it was. A no win situation for Braves batters. Fortunately he was not rehired after an umpire strike.

7 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Eric Gregg was easily one of the worst umpires, particularly during the Braves-Marlins playoff game. Practically every outside pitch was called a strike, no matter how far off the plate it was. A no win situation for Braves batters. Fortunately he was not rehired after an umpire strike.

Ken, I remember how Glavin in particular with perfect control would always get the called strike with a pitch six inches off the plate.

• 3 weeks later...

Aaron Judge hit a home run over the catwalk at the Trop last night. I’ve seen several balls hit the catwalk in the past (resulting in ungainly, annoying “Trop rules” live-ball outcomes), but how often has somebody hit it high enough to clear the catwalk and still have the trajectory to land in the stands for a home run?

Judge clears the catwalk

Edited by ghost of miles

50 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I’ve seen several balls hit the catwalk in the past (resulting in ungainly, annoying “Trop rules” live-ball outcomes)...

I remember the first season the Astrodome was open, a lot of talk about the ground rules that would be in play if anybody hit the roof, the beams, or bigass speaker module at the apex of the dome. To the best of my knowledge, it never happened, but they had ground rules on the book if it did. And to the best of my knowledge, the ruling would been, you guessed it, live ball.

On 6/23/2022 at 9:33 AM, ghost of miles said:

Aaron Judge hit a home run over the catwalk at the Trop last night. I’ve seen several balls hit the catwalk in the past (resulting in ungainly, annoying “Trop rules” live-ball outcomes), but how often has somebody hit it high enough to clear the catwalk and still have the trajectory to land in the stands for a home run?

Judge clears the catwalk

Too bad we can’t witness Aaron Judge battling Mickey Mantle in a home run derby for distance. With his height advantage, Judge would likely win, but Mantle loved hitting distance shots. He came the closest to hitting one out of the old Yankee Stadium, hitting the upper facade in right field.

On 6/23/2022 at 9:27 AM, JSngry said:

I remember the first season the Astrodome was open, a lot of talk about the ground rules that would be in play if anybody hit the roof, the beams, or bigass speaker module at the apex of the dome. To the best of my knowledge, it never happened, but they had ground rules on the book if it did. And to the best of my knowledge, the ruling would been, you guessed it, live ball.

It happened at least twice during regular-season games. Mike Schmidt hit one of the speakers in 1974, and Jeff Bagwell hit the roof in 1997. Darryl Strawberry also hit a speaker, but that one was during the 1986 All-Star Game home run derby. 

June 10, 1974: Mike Schmidt hits the Astrodome speaker and Phillies trounce Houston, 12-0

Bagwell hits Astrodome ceiling

The day Darryl Strawberry hit a ball off an Astrodome speaker during Home Run Derby