2022 MLB Season Thread

2 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I can say that I have no interest in watching these two teams play. The Astros still have the stain of the sign-stealing camera scandal, while I've never liked the Phillies. 

There are only 3 position players left from the 2017 team that won the WS - Altuve, Bregman, and Gurriel.  Literally every other position player has been traded, cut, or out of baseball.  Plus the front office and coaching staff are completely different.

I realize their 2017 championship will forever be tainted, but this really isn't the same team as then. Here are where those 2017 Astros are today:

Tyler Clippard - Nationals
Carlos Correa - Twins
JD Davis - Giants
Chris Devenski - Phillies
Michael Feliz - Red Sox
Ken Giles - Mariners
Marwin Gonzalez - Yankees
Jandel Gustave - Brewers
Teoscar Hernandez - Blue Jays
Tony Kemp - Athletics
Dallas Keuchel - played for 3 different teams in '22
Jake Marisnick - Pirates
Colin McHugh - Braves
Colin Moran - Reds
Charlie Morton - Braves
Joe Musgrove - Padres
George Springer - Blue Jays
Max Stassi - Angels

Plus AJ Hinch is the skipper at Detroit, and Alex Cora is the coach at Boston. 

So if the players/coaches involved are to be hated for cheating, I hope fans of those teams hate their own players who were previously Astros.  Notably, the other three NLCS/ALCS teams all had 2017 Astros on them (at least during some part of the '22 season).

Unless it's ok to like cheaters when they're on your own team.

Edited by Aggie87

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

So his teammates are just straight out lying, they know that he means "Who's your Daddy" and to keep that from getting out, they've agreed to tell the press that he thinks of his home runs as his babies and he's rocking their cradle.

This is staggering in its ridiculousness. You think Gleyber didn't do anything terrible deserving retaliation, fine.

But don't invent an alternative reality and pretend that you know what Naylor really means when he does that trot.

Oh gee, a teammate covering for a player's obnoxious behavior and telling us, "It's OK, he's referring to his HRs," when the gesture itself is clearly a provocative one meant to conjure the longstanding "Who's your daddy" meme in baseball.  Again, I don't even care that much about his gesture in the first place--it's an immature act clearly meant to taunt the pitcher, whatever Naylor or Mackenzie claims about it--it was your over-the-top reaction to Gleyber mimicking it and suggesting that Gleyber be thrown at for it that drew me into this.  That is YOUR "alternative reality," when it's quite clear what Naylor's implying with his juvenile celebration.  (He also yelled at Cole and the Yankees dugout while he was circling the bases, which makes it pretty clear what he was up to.)

Again, whatever.  Cole shrugged it off in the postgame conference.  Gleyber had fun tossing the gesture back at Naylor when NY won the series, and now you say he deserves to be thrown at, while Naylor's simply celebrating his "children.  It's utter BS and given how smart you are I suspect you know it on some level.   

25 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Oh gee, a teammate covering for a player's obnoxious behavior and telling us, "It's OK, he's referring to his HRs," when the gesture itself is clearly a provocative one meant to conjure the longstanding "Who's your daddy" meme in baseball.  Again, I don't even care that much about his gesture in the first place--it's an immature act clearly meant to taunt the pitcher, whatever Naylor or Mackenzie claims about it--it was your over-the-top reaction to Gleyber mimicking it and suggesting that Gleyber be thrown at for it that drew me into this.  That is YOUR "alternative reality," when it's quite clear what Naylor's implying with his juvenile celebration.  (He also yelled at Cole and the Yankees dugout while he was circling the bases, which makes it pretty clear what he was up to.)

Again, whatever.  Cole shrugged it off in the postgame conference.  Gleyber had fun tossing the gesture back at Naylor when NY won the series, and now you say he deserves to be thrown at, while Naylor's simply celebrating his "children.  It's utter BS and given how smart you are I suspect you know it on some level.   

Naylor's stunt was a bush league move that would have earned a pitch in the ribs during the next at bat in the 1960s. It was especially dumb since his team was still behind at the time. 

Mickey Mantle said that he always kept his head down as he circled the bases after hitting a home run because "he didn't want to show up the pitcher."

42 minutes ago, Aggie87 said:

There are only 3 position players left from the 2017 team that won the WS - Altuve, Bregman, and Gurriel.  Literally every other position player has been traded, cut, or out of baseball.  Plus the front office and coaching staff are completely different.

I realize their 2017 championship will forever be tainted, but this really isn't the same team as then. Here are where those 2017 Astros are today:

Tyler Clippard - Nationals
Carlos Correa - Twins
JD Davis - Giants
Chris Devenski - Phillies
Michael Feliz - Red Sox
Ken Giles - Mariners
Marwin Gonzalez - Yankees
Jandel Gustave - Brewers
Teoscar Hernandez - Blue Jays
Tony Kemp - Athletics
Dallas Keuchel - played for 3 different teams in '22
Jake Marisnick - Pirates
Colin McHugh - Braves
Colin Moran - Reds
Charlie Morton - Braves
Joe Musgrove - Padres
George Springer - Blue Jays
Max Stassi - Angels

Plus AJ Hinch is the skipper at Detroit, and Alex Cora is the coach at Boston. 

So if the players/coaches involved are to be hated for cheating, I hope fans of those teams hate their own players who were previously Astros.  Notably, the other three NLCS/ALCS teams all had 2017 Astros on them (at least during some part of the '22 season).

Unless it's ok to like cheaters when they're on your own team.

I was well aware of the turnover, but my dislike of the Astros remains in place. 

About a year pre-Covid I went to a Red Sox game over Labor Day where they played the 'stros. Those Houston fans travelled in impressive numbers and represented their team well. On the other hand I've been to a Phillies game in the standing room area and those fans are passionate, as most Philly fans are regardless of sport. Hope to see a good series. 

29 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

About a year pre-Covid I went to a Red Sox game over Labor Day where they played the 'stros. Those Houston fans travelled in impressive numbers and represented their team well. 

As opposed to the Red Sox fans who have travelled to Rangers games in impressive numbers and acted like total dicks, especially after a few beers too many, which was, like, the 3rd inning or so.

I mean, I'm not supporting the Rangers right now, for more than one reason, but if and when I resume, I will NEVER AGAIN go to see them play the Red Sox. I'll even go watch the Yankees (whose fans are every bit as obnoxious, but in nowhere near the number). And I used to like the Red Sox. But you know, when you have to leave a game because drunken louts move into seats they didn't buy and start behaving in a manner that has never been acceptable any place other than a backroom bareknuckle fight to the death or something like that...just totally odious, cretinous, uncivilized, sub-human behavior without any sense of surroundings...yes, there were kids there, one of them mine.

I can still like the Red Sox, but only as long as there's not live fans involved.

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

About a year pre-Covid I went to a Red Sox game over Labor Day where they played the 'stros. Those Houston fans travelled in impressive numbers and represented their team well. On the other hand I've been to a Phillies game in the standing room area and those fans are passionate, as most Philly fans are regardless of sport. Hope to see a good series. 

Me as well.  I'm thinking Houston in six, though I'd love to see the Phillies pull off an upset.  

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

As opposed to the Red Sox fans who have travelled to Rangers games in impressive numbers and acted like total dicks, especially after a few beers too many, which was, like, the 3rd inning or so.

I mean, I'm not supporting the Rangers right now, for more than one reason, but if and when I resume, I will NEVER AGAIN go to see them play the Red Sox. I'll even go watch the Yankees (whose fans are every bit as obnoxious, but in nowhere near the number). And I used to like the Red Sox. But you know, when you have to leave a game because drunken louts move into seats they didn't buy and start behaving in a manner that has never been acceptable any place other than a backroom bareknuckle fight to the death or something like that...just totally odious, cretinous, uncivilized, sub-human behavior without any sense of surroundings...yes, there were kids there, one of them mine.

I can still like the Red Sox, but only as long as there's not live fans involved.

Just to note I don't live in Beantown and don't pull for the Red Sox. Just went because that's what tourists do, esp in an old ball park like theirs. 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I've no doubt that there are a lot of decent Red Sox fans who understand, respect, and follow the generally agreed-upon principles of public decency in the presence of a family audience.

Those fans do not seem to be the ones who travelled to Rangers games. 

I attended the Cowboys/Eagles final regular season game of 2021, in Philly.  There were some VERY obnoxious Cowboys fans in the Linc.  And I say that as a Cowboys fan, one who was well behaved, decked in Cowboys gear, and treated respectfully by the people around me.

I think just about any sports team that has fans that travel is going to have a portion that are a-holes.  People that have enough money to travel to away games, get drunk and/or just enjoy taunting the opponent.

I don't think that is exclusive to Red Sox fans at all.

As a group, Cowboys fans have been douchey since about 1965 or so. Not quite as long as the org itself, but close. I'm olde enough to know. Didn't take too long to turn me into an Oilers fan! 

And no, not exclusive to Red Sox fans, but during the years I was going, it was a coordinated invasion, documented on various social media, planned. It wasn't a few fans, it was a convention of...shittery. 

It's one thing to act like that in your own group, it's quite another to just move into seats you didn't buy and start acting like that in the middle of families who had been there all game long 

No excuses for that 

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the World Series game 5 last night. The Phillies certainly had some opportunities, but they were also playing tight, unlike the fun, let's-see-how-far-we-can-get team they've shown throughout the playoffs so far.

The play that people sitting around me seemed most upset about was Hoskins' muff of Alvarez's dink hit to first base that Hoskins didn't field cleanly. That allowed Altuve to score run #3, which ended up being the winning score. If Hoskins had made the play, Altuve is out at home, and it's a 2-1 game, and later 2-2 when Segura singles at the bottom of the 8th.

Hoskins defensive mistake, and the 0-fer at the plate by Hoskins, Realmuto, and Castellanos are what cost them the game.

Still, all in all an amazing experience just to be at a WS game!

On 10/24/2022 at 5:50 PM, ghost of miles said:

Me as well.  I'm thinking Houston in six, though I'd love to see the Phillies pull off an upset.  

Called it! Now can Houston become the first team to repeat as WS champions, a feat that hasn’t occurred in 22 years? Fire up that hot stove, friends, and settle in for winter.