new Coltrane book

Baltin: Who are those artists for you that really best exemplify collaboration?

Lesh: The basic inspiration for The Grateful Dead was the Miles Quartet with Coltrane or Trane's quintet from the early Sixties. So that was pretty much the inspiration for the way we approach our music. It was the careful exuberant freedom that they had, the way they listen to one another and how everybody is improvising all at the same time, there's nothing that's fixed. I heard a performance of Trane's Quintet in '62, in San Francisco. It totally transformed my life and my view of music, because it just kept evolving. It just kept changing and evolving and yet you always were aware wherever you were coming from. It was the finest thing I'd ever heard [chuckle]. And I grew up in the classic music scene, so I hadn't known how deeply improvised music could go and how powerful it could be and that really opened my eyes, my ears, my heart.

Baltin: You're doing this festival in Chicago with Wilco. Do you see how that early inspiration from listening to the Trane Quintet or the Miles Quartet still influences you today?

Lesh: Absolutely, it's like a fundamental building block of how I approach the music that I make. That was the transformative experience. And I've kind of tried to live up to that.

22 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Lesh's experiences with Coltrane are hardly unique. But he has the cache to sell books. I find this state of things frustrating.

Grace Slick has stated that Sketches of Spain inspired White Rabbit, but I don't expect her to write a foreword to a Gil Evans bio.

Phil Lesh became one of the greatest improvising musicians of the 20th century. The Grateful Dead was the first rock band to incorporate avant-garde into their long form improvised jams.