Ahmad Jamal - Emerald City Nights: Live At The Penthouse

mjzee

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, jazzbo said:

In my opinion the music is significantly different than the Mosaic set. . . but equally interesting. Sound is decent. I have both the previous two, and am looking forward to this one.

Yes, Jamal's playing became more muscular around the time of the 'Extensions' album

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

In my opinion the music is significantly different than the Mosaic set. . . but equally interesting. Sound is decent. I have both the previous two, and am looking forward to this one.

I was listening to one cut on the radio and there was a lot of hissing... Obviously with live recordings - it's a hit or miss, sonically.... how's the sound compared to the Mosaic set?

2 hours ago, tranemonk said:

I was listening to one cut on the radio and there was a lot of hissing... Obviously with live recordings - it's a hit or miss, sonically.... how's the sound compared to the Mosaic set?

It's a totally different type of recording than the Mosaic, it's really hard to compare them. I'll say that a bit of hiss does not bother me, and I have no real complaints about the sound of these two volumes.

1 hour ago, hbbfam said:

Where did you order volume 3 (1966-68)?

I myself ordered Vol. 3 from amazon.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, tranemonk said:

Are the liner notes... REALLY Good??? I'm leaning toward getting the digital, especially since each disc is only about 90 minutes or so. The digital is much cheaper given that we're talking about all three sets....

Nothing revelatory. Pretty sure some of them are repeated from the earlier sets. The music is excellent.

5 hours ago, B. Clugston said:

Nothing revelatory. Pretty sure some of them are repeated from the earlier sets. The music is excellent.

Thanks. I don't even play CDs anymore but I like having the physical media for the most important records. I've had more than one instance of losing music that only existed in digital form. Even the best hard drives get corrupted and crash.

I got the downloads for all three sets from Qobuz.    Their downloader app is a piece of shit, constantly breaking and today I was forced to download each track individually but it's about half the price of the cds.  

Whenever I can I usually get downloads from Presto rather than Qobuz - their software is better and the online transaction is smoother.  Qobuz sucks but tends to have more jazz.

I always keep a few backups on portable hard drives which are only turned on now and then to add new albums.  A 512 gigabyte sd card in a portable player also functions as a backup to many of the music files I have on my hard drives.

A friend had the two earlier sets of cd's and I looked at the liner notes.  Nice to read but not all that essential.

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy