Tubby Hayes

Gary

crap, this thread and my lack of impulse control just lead me to finally order copies of "Down in the Village" and "Late Spot at Ronnie Scott's"... have been looking for those for a long time!

You won't be disappointed! :tup

Yup... had a first listen to "Late Spot" last night - pretty effin' great!

And got a confirmation for "Down in the Village".

The annoying thing, however is, I got a "new sealed" copy of "Late Spot", but it had imprints from a different jewel case on the booklet and looked like a used CD taht was sealed again. Also it had a magnetic sticker on the DISC! Imagine that! I was able to tear/peel it off, but some of the lacquer came off with it as well. I don't think it did any harm, but the top side of the disc is protected less good than the bottom side, so I'll be sure to make a burn of it soon, just in case... but I won't complain as I got it for around 12€ or so and these discs seem to fetch quite crazy prices by now.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Is the Tubby & Ronnie Scott material from the Jazzland LP ('Message From Britain') available on CD?

Yes, it came out as one of series of albums of British Jazz on the Jasmine label some years ago. It's called 'The Jazz Couriers: The First And Last Words (JASCD 626)'. It's currently available at Amazon.

Okay, thanks....have never before seen that Jasmine one. Looks like it includes those two tracks ('Monk Was Here' & 'Last Minute Blues') that were only issued on the cardboard 45.

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=150297122502

"Obviously not much is known about these 2 'mysterious' recordings -"

Head Man, are you genuinely mystified by this? :D

Okay, thanks....have never before seen that Jasmine one. Looks like it includes those two tracks ('Monk Was Here' & 'Last Minute Blues') that were only issued on the cardboard 45.

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=150297122502

"Obviously not much is known about these 2 'mysterious' recordings -"

Head Man, are you genuinely mystified by this? :D

There's very little that mystifies me nowadays.....apart from how to set the DVD recorder, that is.

• 2 weeks later...

New box set coming up with the great Tubbs:

Jazz Genius: The Flamingo Era [box set]

51R86GRlarL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Should be out soon. Only one of the 4 lps I've got is the one (on Jasmine) with Ronnie Scott, so guess I'll pick 'er up.

Now that this has been out for a time are there any comments regarding the sound quality of this set? Curious as the "fantastic voyage" label is not one I've heard of - kinda like a BGP or ACE?

• 2 months later...

Apologies if this has been flagget up elsewhere, but have you noticed:

51DZzH9obRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

1. Lament (Live at The Little Theatre, Rochester, Kent, April 2nd 1967) 15:35

2. What Is This Thing Called Love? (Live at The Little Theatre, Rochester, Kent, April 2nd 1968) 14:25

3. Nancy With The Laughing Face (Live at The Little Theatre, Rochester, Kent, April 2nd 1969) 11:32

4. Mexican Green (Live at The Little Theatre, Rochester, Kent, April 2nd 1970) 28:14

Rare and stunning previously unreleased 1967 live recording from the legendary British tenor saxophonist Tubby Hayes. His quartet featuring pianist Mike Pyne, bassist Ron Matthewson and drummer Tony Levin perform an extended version of the classic Hayes' original Mexican Green plus three jazz standards.

This release is the first in an archive series of Tubby Hayes recordings that will be presented by Savage Solweig Records. With unique access to the tapes left in Hayes's personal archive after his death, many hours of recordings have been unearthed and carefully restored to create a series which displays this much-missed genius at the peak of his powers. Unheard until now, these tapes will be not only enjoy delicate re-mastering but will come with 12 page booklets, rare unseen Tubby photos and extensive sleevenotes by the UK's leading Hayes biographer, Simon Spillett.

Personnel: Tubby Hayes (tenor saxophone), Mike Pyne (piano), Ron Matthewson (bass), Tony Levin (drums)

The blurb doesn't quite fit the track references...looks like a copying error with the years, unless this quartet made a regular visit to Rochester on April 2nd). But Simon Spillett is involved.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lament-Tubby-Hayes-Quartet/dp/B003YVNC5W/ref=pd_sim_m_h__5

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Thanks, looks very interesting!

The date issue looks like an excel-thing, where you can just drag down such informations (but then eventually it will count +1 on each line...). It says 1967 on the cover, too!

But what's more interesting: on the cover it says "Tubby Hayes Archive - Volume 1", so there's most likely more to come!

• 3 months later...

Gee, I did cave in and got the Flamingo 3CD set - the price was right... spinning it now, those Tony Kinsey sides are indeed rather on the easy side, but nice. I've got some Jazz Couriers two or three times now, but still miss other stuff by them... the Avid 2CD set will fill another gap (and triplicate or quadruplicate some).

Is there a GOOD discography somewhere? Also on Crombie and Kinsey?

What's up with those two tracks each from Crombie/Ronnie Scott "Jazz at the Flamingo" (Ember EMB 3337) and "Tony Crombie and His Men" (Columbia 33SX1119) that are on the Flamingo set? Are those the only cuts of these two albums that Tubbs is on, or that he solos on? Or else why wouldn't they have included the rest, there's plenty of space left on the discs!

Also, more unreleased music has come out, it seems... not just the "Lament" disc pictured above (haven't got it yet), but also these:

51MPZ5wOexL._SS500_.jpg

Inventivity

Disc: 1

1. INTRO BY RONNIE SCOTT TO: INVENTIVITY 16.28

2. OLEO: 14.39

3. MEAN TO ME: 16.50

4. SPLIT KICK: 13.02

Disc: 2

1. FRIENDS' BLUES: 19.57

2. JUST FRIENDS: 19.56

3. STELLA BY STARLIGHT: 17.24

4. LES TOMKINS interviews TUBBY HAYES & SAL NISTICO: 18.13

CD Description

This first release in CANDID's new COLLECTORS SERIES is a previously unreleased double CD featuring the British tenor giant Tubby Hayes, caught here in scintillating form Live at the Ronnie Scott club, London in 1964. Sitting in with the maestro were visiting Americans Cat Anderson (in town with the Duke Ellington Orchestra) and tenor man Sal Nistico of the Woody Herman band together with the then rising young bass star Albert Stinson. Also on hand were the Swede Rolf Ericson (also with the Duke) and ace Scottish trumpeter Jimmy Deuchar - leader of the Quintet in Disc Two and a regular soulmate of Tubby's over the years. The double set is topped off with interview of Tubby and Sal conducted by producer Les Tomkins.

and a similar looking one by Ronnie Scott:

51GhypGBjEL._SS500_.jpg

Secret Love

1. INTRO BY RONNIE SCOTT

2. SECRET LOVE: 25.46 (END COMMENTARY BY SONNY STITT)

3. BLUES BY FIVE: 13.27

4. WELL, YOU NEEDN'T: 10.19

5. INTRO BY JJ JOHNSON BYE, BYE BLACKBIRD: 10.39

6. INTRO BY FREDDIE HUBBARD W.I.: 14.24

7. RONNIE SCOTT INTERVIEW WITH LES TOMKINS (EXCERPT): 3.33

CD Description

Recorded in 1964, Ronnie Scott is heard in this previously unreleased recording partnering four modern jazz giants in Donald Byrd, Freddie Hubbard, J.J. Johnson and Sonny Stitt live in his London Club. A fascinating insight into the activity which went on in the Scott club over the year. Highlights are what is arguably one of Ronnie's finest solos on record-the opening Secret Love where he leaves Sonny Stitt the unenviable task of following on - which Stitt does with considerable aplomb! Included too is Les Tomkins' interview with Scott on which Ronnie discusses the state of the modern jazz of the era.

Can anyone comment on these two?

I do realise the Scott is off-topic here, but they're both on Candid and from Les Tompkins archives (or so they say) hence I though I'd ask about it here as well.

There's so much Tubby around, I'm really at a loss where to continue... got the Propoer set, the Flammingo set, "The First and Last Words" and "Some of My Best Friends are Blues" by the Jazz Couriers, "Down in the Village" and "Late Spot at Scott's" as well as the five Fontanas I needed (skipped the one with Moody and Kirk, got that in the Rahsaam box). Also got "Addictive Tendencies" most recently...

So, what else do I need?

What's up with those two tracks each from Crombie/Ronnie Scott "Jazz at the Flamingo" (Ember EMB 3337)

Figured that out... the same two cuts ("A Night in Tunisia" and "Laker's Day") are also on the Proper set - but it seems he also appeared on a third cut ("Jazz at the Flamingo") released on Tempo TAP 5, as well as on a fourth unreleased cut ("I Want to Be Happy").

Now why is "Jazz at the Flamingo" not included? Because them bootleggers just copy what the others have dug out already?

... and "Tony Crombie and His Men" (Columbia 33SX1119) that are on the Flamingo set? Are those the only cuts of these two albums that Tubbs is on, or that he solos on? Or else why wouldn't they have included the rest, there's plenty of space left on the discs!

This one's more confusing... the two tracks on the Flamingo/Futurenoise set are "Beryl's Bounce" and "Odd Man Out". The first is part of the Crombie session from 1958-06-18 (which yielded five titles, another five were done 1958-07-23, including one featuring Tubby on vibes with just the rhythm section).

However, "Odd Man Out" is nowhere to be found... but the 3CD set says it's from the June 18 date as well. Weird. Did they dig up a rarity here?

And what about the rest of that Crombie album ("Tony Crombie and His Men") - crappy stuff, or why wouldn't they have included more of it on the 3CD set?

51MPZ5wOexL._SS500_.jpg

Inventivity

Disc: 1

1. INTRO BY RONNIE SCOTT TO: INVENTIVITY 16.28

2. OLEO: 14.39

3. MEAN TO ME: 16.50

4. SPLIT KICK: 13.02

Disc: 2

1. FRIENDS' BLUES: 19.57

2. JUST FRIENDS: 19.56

3. STELLA BY STARLIGHT: 17.24

4. LES TOMKINS interviews TUBBY HAYES & SAL NISTICO: 18.13

CD Description

This first release in CANDID's new COLLECTORS SERIES is a previously unreleased double CD featuring the British tenor giant Tubby Hayes, caught here in scintillating form Live at the Ronnie Scott club, London in 1964. Sitting in with the maestro were visiting Americans Cat Anderson (in town with the Duke Ellington Orchestra) and tenor man Sal Nistico of the Woody Herman band together with the then rising young bass star Albert Stinson. Also on hand were the Swede Rolf Ericson (also with the Duke) and ace Scottish trumpeter Jimmy Deuchar - leader of the Quintet in Disc Two and a regular soulmate of Tubby's over the years. The double set is topped off with interview of Tubby and Sal conducted by producer Les Tomkins.

Can anyone comment on these two?

I do realise the Scott is off-topic here, but they're both on Candid and from Les Tompkins archives (or so they say) hence I though I'd ask about it here as well.

I've got the Tubby. It consists of several long jams, and the sound is good. The tracks with Sal Nistico are excellent, and it's interesting to hear Cat Anderson in this context. The "interview" at the end of disc two is casual, to say the least, but it's nice to hear Tubby and Sal's conversational voices. Recommended.