Shirley Scott - Queen Talk: Live At The Left Bank

mjzee

51 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I need to find decent length clips to be sold on this one. I found an AllAboutJazz review and there are some warning signs for me in there:

There are lots of long hot-tempered lines and squealing by Coleman

That's exactly the Coleman that doesn't make me excited to spend $25 on two CDs. I know my mileage is very different from others ... 🤐

Try this....

https://shirleyscott.bandcamp.com/album/queen-talk-live-at-the-left-bank?label=2348701163&tab=artists

28 minutes ago, Brad said:

Maybe this is me and I’ve only listened to one of the CDs so far but this seems more like the George Coleman show more than Shirley Scott; I’m not sure it’s the best pairing. 

I tolerated the Ernie Andrews piece but that was the downside.

Ok, I forgot about Bobby Durham. But he's fine except when he does his 2 & 4 thing which he does often enough, but not enough to be a deal breaker. I'd rather it be somebody else, but this a document, not a proposal, right? 

Otherwise, yeah, almost done with Disc 1 and feeling some love (and as soon as I say that, here comes Fucking Bobby Durham's nonsense again. But as soon as I say that, he stops). Scott is her true self (cf One For Me) and that's nothing but a delight. 

And there is no George Coleman "squealing". A few altissimo notes, but all in the service of melody and changes. Nothing Eddie Harris wouldn't do, only Eddie had a bit more control over it, like "classical" type control.

All told this is a wonderful release for historical reasons (never again think of Shirley Scott as "just" a "Soul Jazz" organist, she was a SOULFUL musician, period) and more importantly, just a damn fun record, period.