The lesser known Tapscott stuff

Pim

So in my highly enjoyable journey trough the Tapscott discography I stumble across some more rare records of his. Reviews are scarce and so are samples of the music. Any board members who could be of help? I am talking about the following records:

- Autumn Colors

- Horace Tapscott Octet Live

- Dissent or Discent

- Faith

- Little Afrika

The Octet Live might be my favorite among those five - a high energy affair that works quite well.   After that, I would probably go for the two trio albums: Autumn Colors and Dissent or Descent.   Tapscott is in good form on the former with Everett Brown Jr. on drums.  Dissent and Descent puts him in a less familiar context with Fred Hopkins and Ben Riley, and it works well.  

I am less fond of Faith, despite the solid rhythm section, as it suffers (IMO) from inadequate and sometimes out of tune performances from the strings.

Little Afrika is a good solo date, although I tend to prefer listening to Tapscott with a rhythm section,.   

52 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Dissent or Descent is on the Bandcamp Nimbus West page (download). Physical CD has been in/out of stock at Dusty Groove, currently out.

Not in a hurry. I just spent 225 dollars on that new Tapscott series. My wife hasn't spoken to me all day and gives me frightening looks from the couch. I am currently overthinking how to make things up with her.

Edited by Pim

59 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Dissent or Descent is on the Bandcamp Nimbus West page (download). Physical CD has been in/out of stock at Dusty Groove, currently out.

Weird, I see it but not figuring out how to download.  I use Bandcamp regularly, maybe need to try on my desktop.

48 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Did you succeed 😇 .... ?

My tactic is to agree with something I first disagreed with. She wants to buy new curtains which in my opinion is pointless as the current ones are fine. But if I let her buy some new ones right now she forgets about my Tapscott order very soon.

46 minutes ago, Pim said:

My tactic is to agree with something I first disagreed with. She wants to buy new curtains which in my opinion is pointless as the current ones are fine. But if I let her buy some new ones right now she forgets about my Tapscott order very soon.

Hahaha .... sounds not too unfamiliar on my side ....

On 4/21/2023 at 3:46 AM, John L said:

The Octet Live might be my favorite among those five - a high energy affair that works quite well.   After that, I would probably go for the two trio albums: Autumn Colors and Dissent or Descent.   Tapscott is in good form on the former with Everett Brown Jr. on drums.  Dissent and Descent puts him in a less familiar context with Fred Hopkins and Ben Riley, and it works well.  

I am less fond of Faith, despite the solid rhythm section, as it suffers (IMO) from inadequate and sometimes out of tune performances from the strings.

Little Afrika is a good solo date, although I tend to prefer listening to Tapscott with a rhythm section,.   

Been listening to Horace et al for over 25 years & have virtually all of his released output & a few unreleased live recordings (FLAC files of live concerts i sourced a number of years ago - with Steve Lacy, Vancouver 93, with Carter/Bradford, Austria 87 & Germany 92, with Blythe, California 91, with Arkestra & Teddy Edwards, Chicago Jazz Festival, 93, HT Octet, Italy 87

The only release that has eluded me is the LA Octet recording on the Japanese Americana label - never seen a copy of this for sale - have been looking for a number of years now - wondered if it had actually been physically released (CD). The lineup is very similar to the live Verona, Italy concert I have - they are only 3 months apart - Verona has Arthur Blythe on tenor whilst Rastine Calhoun replaces Arthur on the later LA recording.

1 hour ago, romualdo said:

Been listening to Horace et al for over 25 years & have virtually all of his released output & a few unreleased live recordings (FLAC files of live concerts i sourced a number of years ago - with Steve Lacy, Vancouver 93, with Carter/Bradford, Austria 87 & Germany 92, with Blythe, California 91, with Arkestra & Teddy Edwards, Chicago Jazz Festival, 93, HT Octet, Italy 87

The only release that has eluded me is the LA Octet recording on the Japanese Americana label - never seen a copy of this for sale - have been looking for a number of years now - wondered if it had actually been physically released (CD). The lineup is very similar to the live Verona, Italy concert I have - they are only 3 months apart - Verona has Arthur Blythe on tenor whilst Rastine Calhoun replaces Arthur on the later LA recording.

In Austria @ Nickelsdorfer Konfrontationen 1987 .... a great performance witnessed in person ... is this really more than 35 years ago ....

7 hours ago, romualdo said:

I've been looking for that one for a long time as well. I saw it once in person once in the late 90's but did not want to drop $35. Still kicking myself.

8 hours ago, romualdo said:

I don't have it on CD and can't remember now from where on the web I pulled it down.   But it is a fine recording.   I have never heard the Verona concert.