Recommend me some soul that's full off.... soul

Pim

Great Cover Versions Part 16 .... :

O.V. Wright "Afflicted" (Back Beat) 1970 ....

Charles Brimmer "Afflicted" (Hep' Me Records) 1970 ....

With admirable boldness Charles Brimmer tackles the song made immortal by O.V. Wright the very same year .... although a hopeless undertaking his effort results in a great cover version ....

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Joshie Joe Armstead "Won't You Join The Band (On The Caravan)" (Preacher Rose) 1974/1991 .... unreleased Deep Soul epos from her Gospel Truth sessions which saw the light of day via a 500 pieces limited press 45 only .... facilitated by UK record dealer Rod Dearlove .... what a stunner ....

Eddie Giles „I Can`t Get Over You“ (Alarm unreleased/Vivid Sound)          1973/1979 …. heartwrenching Deep Soul of the highest order .... easily the best performance bar none by Eddie Giles, which was left in the can nevertheless ....

Great Cover Versions 18 .... :

Lynn CollinsIf You Don't Know Me By Now" (People) 1975 .... obviously it`s hard to tackle the epic original from Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, but Lynn Collins supported by "Team James Brown" is holding up well ....

Eddie Hinton "Hard Luck Guy" (Zane Records) 1999 .... great deepsoul tracks have a perfecting timing for the horns to kick in .... that`s the case here and Eddie Hinton sings his heart out .... recorded in 1977 und unreleased for more than two decades ....

On 1/23/2024 at 6:08 AM, soulpope said:

Eddie Hinton "Hard Luck Guy" (Zane Records) 1999 .... great deepsoul tracks have a perfecting timing for the horns to kick in .... that`s the case here and Eddie Hinton sings his heart out .... recorded in 1977 und unreleased for more than two decades ....

This.

Joe Johnson „The Blind Man“ (Malaco)              1973 …. a taylor made Wardell Quezergue pruduction @ Malaco Studios .... and Joe Johnson bares his soul .... btw there is a considerable resemblance with another Malaco Studios/Wardell Quezegue deep beauty aka "When A Man Cris" by Joe Wilson ....

R-11413161-1515889490-9909.jpg

Superb demos recorded by Southern Soul singer/songwriter Tommy Tate @ Malaco and Muscle Shoals Studios in the 1980`s .... some of these were covered by Bobby Bland, Johnny Taylor, Little Milton, Otis Clay & Dorothy Moore and as good as they are, the demos are the real deal ....

R-5359612-1391446964-7727.jpg

V.A "King's Serious Soul: Too Much Pain" (Kent) 2001 ....a treasure trove of Deep(est) Soul from the vaults of King and sublabels Federal/Deluxe .... painstakingly selected tracks and terrific mastering (have most of these as original 45`s and the sound improvement is staggering) .... highly recommended ....

As a jazz only player I have only side informations about pure Soul, but what I heard last Friday you Soul Fans should hear and purchase. 

My wife and me spent an evening off at Porgy and Bess to listen to my old friend Paul Zauner with his wonderful soul band "Sweet Emma Band" featuring the very strong singer Chanda Rule, former Harlem Gospel singer now having a solo carreer living in Viena . 

Have a look at some tracks and buy them their latest album on Paul Zauner´s label "PAO Records". 

And they have a long haird organ player from Cehoslovacia, who is really a gas. the whole band is tops and the singer too.

It´s mostly Soul, some Blues, and a shot of jazz (the last tune unsually is an Ellington tune). 

4 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

As a jazz only player I have only side informations about pure Soul, but what I heard last Friday you Soul Fans should hear and purchase. 

My wife and me spent an evening off at Porgy and Bess to listen to my old friend Paul Zauner with his wonderful soul band "Sweet Emma Band" featuring the very strong singer Chanda Rule, former Harlem Gospel singer now having a solo carreer living in Viena . 

Have a look at some tracks and buy them their latest album on Paul Zauner´s label "PAO Records". 

And they have a long haird organ player from Cehoslovacia, who is really a gas. the whole band is tops and the singer too.

It´s mostly Soul, some Blues, and a shot of jazz (the last tune unsually is an Ellington tune). 

Pauli Zauner still going strong 😍 ....

2 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Pauli Zauner still going strong 😍 ....

Yeah I have known him as early as in the 80´s . 

After the Sweet Emma Band stuff last week we had some talking and woodsheddin´ about tunes we could play together, what tunes he might like to play with us, and I was astonished that he remembered a gig I had 40 years ago and Universitatea Veterinară which was somewhere in sector 3 of Viena, not far from a railway , I think that´s a neighbourhood where they have "rechte Bahngasse" and "linke Bahngasse" and I had totally forgotten about it. 

It was with a Bulgarian Saxophonist his name was Boșidar Sotirov (can´t write well ortografically) , anyway I was astonished that a guy who is mostly busy with booking and havin a label and so would remember a gig I had completly forgotten. 

It must have been in those years, when jazz was "in" at Universities, and kids who studied would hear jazz in those Audimax-es they had.