Pim

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Is anyone in the same class as the Rev. Green?

Marvin Gaye. 

4 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I think that Syl Johnson in this era had quite a lot of similarity to the music being put out by Hi Records: Al Green, Anne Peebles, Otis Clay’s Trying to Live My Life Without You. 

It's all Willie Mitchell... 

14 minutes ago, Pim said:

Yeah thats one I know. Great track!

One of the best Al Green performances ever tucked away in shortened form as a 45 b-side in 1975 .... majestic and devastating at the same time ....

13 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Is anyone in the same class as the Rev. Green?

It`s hard comparing voices and although there is no discussion about the status of Al Green even on the Hi Records roster there were strong competitors like obviously O.V. Wright, but als more unknowns like the excellent Willie Walker to name a few ....

1 hour ago, Dub Modal said:

Is the OP's question specifically for soul music of decades past? If so, why is that? 

Not necessarily. The Billy Valentine I enjoyed is a 2023 release. I also like Michael Kiwanuka for example.

I find it hard to describe what I am looking for. The Syl Johnson from the first post was an example of what I like. I would call it dark, moody, deep and emotional kind of soul. The political message isn’t necessary but sometimes give it that extra power. I have less feeling with the smooth kind of soul and the one that cross over with disco.

Spotify just recommended me this one:

I like it. Seems to be a rather obscure musician/session

Edited by Pim

Keepin' it recent here...
I don't know if you have clearly defined lines that you draw when it comes to soul,
but I quite like this second album from Eddie Chacon (half of the soul-pop duo Charles & Eddie).
It has a very slight psychedelic soul feel without too many extra flourishes that might've spread the messages too thin.
Yes, the messages of life's fleeting feeling and some mental difficulties with current affairs,
but all delivered in a softer sense without being icky smooth.
The first track's instrumental backing may take you a little close
to "Black Moses" era love-flutes.

It came out about three weeks ago.

042601.jpg

21 minutes ago, John L said:

Yes!   They issued a nice full CD of Govan's 60s recordings for Fame not along ago.  But these later Broadway recordings are the sh#t, the pinnacle of his recording career.  

You`re right .... nevertheless I do have a soft spot for this one .... :

All the Fame Studio magic is in there ,,,,

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

At some point you're going to have to get into Gospel, you know. 

Now that's somewhere I need to go sometime

I haven't the faintest clue about the genre. A recent big impression was made by Jimetta Rose and the Voices of Creation which to my uneducated ear has at least a Gospel influence?

Edited by mjazzg

Screenshot-2023-04-27-173127.jpg

V.A  "Eccentric Soul: Twinight's Lunar Rotation" (Numero Group)         2007  .... still availabe 2CD set collecting 45`s from the Chicago based Twnight label .... a taster .... :

Josephine Taylor "I`ve Made Up My Mind" (Twinight)           1969 ....