Recommend me some soul that's full off.... soul

Pim

I've always enjoyed soul music a lot. I know all of those classics and own quite some of them: Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Isaac Hayes, Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke etc. Curtis Mayfield is one I really like too. He has that voice and his music has a certain power. Last year I stumbled across Syl Johson who I did not knew. I really love this album:

This really is the soul music that I am looking for but I have a hard time describing it. It's powerful, deep, full of emotion and lots of time a little political. I hope the soul experts here might know what I mean when they listen to this Syl Johnson. Anyone here around to help me further exploring that world of soul?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Where's @soulpope? He's your man I'd say

Thnx for the accolades, man 😇 ....

As a matter of fact a lot of great soul voices were released on 45`s only ..... so the LP is less of a factor and the dependance is reissue companies is a fact. Obviously Ace ist a reliable powerhouse regarding the matter.

So some more suggestions :

Compilations 

Ny04OTcyLmpwZWc.jpeg

ab67616d0000b273ff43e886cd51aac5d7db18fa

Screenshot-2023-04-25-191052.jpg

ab67616d0000b273978590313a3959ab62b3fed6

ab67616d0000b2731b6c68131eee389497030631

OS0zNDgwLmpwZWc.jpeg

ab67616d0000b273b533d3803016a024be58b32e

NC03NzI3LmpwZWc.jpeg

and (when church marches in)

Mi04MDkyLmpwZWc.jpeg

All these come highly recomended and listenig to them should help to find preferences/how to go on forward .... of course a pleasure being of help if needed ....

29 minutes ago, Pim said:

Thanks guys! Not familiar with any of the names so lots to explore. Added some of this stuff to my Spotify playlists. Looking forward to listen to them :)

I would be interested in your findings/faves .... let us know ....

Btw : One of the best Soul albums from the 70`s not known by too many  .... :

ab67616d0000b2737149c441a104c1acecee0d1f

Available via Spotify I suppose ....

Lots of great recommendations here.  A few other greats that should not be left out:

Joe Tex

Solomon Burke

Bobby Womack

Ann Peebles

Johnny Adams

Ted Taylor

Peggy-Scott Adams (Particularly her more recent stuff)

William Bell

Geater Davis

Little Johnny Taylor (Different than the other phenomenal singer - Johnnie Taylor - who Jim already mentioned

Z.Z. Hill

Mitty Collier

Ronnie Lovejoy

Jimmy Hughes

Otis Clay

Tyrone Davis

Ella Washington

Jerry Butler

Irma Thomas

Edited by John L

19 hours ago, Pim said:

I've always enjoyed soul music a lot. I know all of those classics and own quite some of them: Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Isaac Hayes, Aretha Franklin, Sam Cooke etc. Curtis Mayfield is one I really like too. He has that voice and his music has a certain power. Last year I stumbled across Syl Johson who I did not knew. I really love this album:

This really is the soul music that I am looking for but I have a hard time describing it. It's powerful, deep, full of emotion and lots of time a little political. I hope the soul experts here might know what I mean when they listen to this Syl Johnson. Anyone here around to help me further exploring that world of soul?

I think that Syl Johnson in this era had quite a lot of similarity to the music being put out by Hi Records: Al Green, Anne Peebles, Otis Clay’s Trying to Live My Life Without You. 

13 hours ago, rostasi said:

042505.jpg

This was my first spin this morning and I like it very much. Very much in the style of Scott-Heron who of course also recorded for Flying Dutchman. What's the story with this guy? He looks and sounds like a veteran but can't find any more leader dates by him.

19 minutes ago, Pim said:

This was my first spin this morning and I like it very much. Very much in the style of Scott-Heron who of course also recorded for Flying Dutchman. What's the story with this guy? He looks and sounds like a veteran but can't find any more leader dates by him.

It's great. A very clever choice of tunes and covering 'Sign Of The Times' is brave and he suceeds with aplomb

Part of The Valentine Brothers who had a UK dance hit with this great tune, later taken to wider audience by Simply Red (but the original is far superior}. A big tune of my dancing days 😃

Prior to that he sang with Young Holt Unlimited and other largely West Coast bands, I think.

Two other leader dates available on Tidal, both very good soul but less socially conscious than the new one, so surprised not on Spotify

One listed here https://www.discogs.com/artist/182422-Billy-Valentine

Gilles Peterson had him as a guest on his BBC Radio 6 show recently, not sure if you can access that in The Netherlands but it was a good interview.

I'm sure others will know more

Edited by mjazzg

3 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

I think that Syl Johnson in this era had quite a lot of similarity to the music being put out by Hi Records: Al Green, Anne Peebles, Otis Clay’s Trying to Live My Life Without You. 

I believe also his voice shares simlarities with Al Green although not in the same class .... 

7 hours ago, soulpope said:

Easily the best "Al Green Song" never performed by Al Green .... even Syl Johnson`s f´recording should have been a hit .... but in 1974 the sun for soul music already was going down steadily ....

Yeah thats one I know. Great track!