Recommend me some soul that's full off.... soul

Pim

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Up till now, not everything is necessarily what I was looking for but there's really nothing I don't like. Up till now I like Billy Valentine and Terry Callier best. Great stuff, thanks guy. I'll continue exploring.

On 4/26/2023 at 12:40 AM, Dan Gould said:

I'd recommend James Carr. Ace has excellent comps as well as a strong recording from, IIRC, the 90s when he performed again.

Oh yeah!!, I second that emotion

Carr's interpretation of Oldham & Penn's "Dark End Of The Street" is one of the best - The UK Ace "Goldwax Singles" compilation is essential for any soul collection.

His 90s recording "Take Me To The Limit" is a stunner

Also shout outs to O.V. Wright, Syl Johnson & Otis Clay

• 1 month later...

Share What You Got.  As a died in the wool Stax/Volt fan, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the great Wm. Bell.  Ace (UK) has recently put out two CDs covering all of his single As & Bs for the label, right from the begining before Otis got there through the end or very near to it.  He recently came back tot he revived label and cut a pretty good album.  Understated and a little philosophical, just like me!  I Forgot to Be Your Lover would be my favorite single and Soul of a Bell my fav regular album, and he cowrote Born Under a Bad Sign.

Edited by danasgoodstuff

1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Share What You Got.  As a died in the wool Stax/Volt fan, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the great Wm. Bell.  Ace (UK) has recently put out two CDs covering all of his single As & Bs for the label, right from the begining before Otis got there through the end or very near to it.  He recently came back tot he revived label and cut a pretty good album.  Understated and a little philosophical, just like me!  I Forgot to Be Your Lover would be my favorite single and Soul of a Bell my fav regular album, and he cowrote Born Under a Bad Sign.

Thank you for mentioning William Bell, my favorite Stax male vocalist along with Johnnie Taylor (Otis Redding not withstanding).  His most recent album is indeed outstanding, but he has consistently made excellent-outstanding music throughout his long career.  He also produced some great sides in Atlanta for his Peachtree Record Label.