The devil put no booklet no box mosaics there to tempt you!

I seem to remember about 20 years ago some story of the disks only turning up in LA area stores due to suspected factory pilfering. Not sure if that was true - having said that I did see some turn up on eBay e.g. Blue Mitchell.

There was also the board member I believe who lost his boxes due to offspring using them as DIY kids project source material. Worst nightmare !

Edited by sidewinder

The only booklet-less set I ever bought was the Larry Young box — which I scored on eBay (cd’s only, no box) for ~$70 iirc (20 years ago, after it was OOP).

But a dozen years ago someone on the board here offered me their slightly water-damaged LY book (which they’d gotten a replacement for from Mosaic several years earlier).  I’d tried to get one from Mosaic at some point, but by the time I made my inquiry, they were already done and gone.

So my LY set is box-less, but not booklet-less! (Not that I care about boxes.)

On 7/22/2023 at 10:47 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

The only booklet-less set I ever bought was the Larry Young box — which I scored on eBay (cd’s only, no box) for ~$70 iirc (20 years ago, after it was OOP).

But a dozen years ago someone on the board here offered me their slightly water-damaged LY book (which they’d gotten a replacement for from Mosaic several years earlier).  I’d tried to get one from Mosaic at some point, but by the time I made my inquiry, they were already done and gone.

So my LY set is box-less, but not booklet-less! (Not that I care about boxes.)

BTW, if anyone has just a Larry Young booklet — but no set…

I also have all of the LY set as individual CD’s now, and I’d be glad to sell my LY Mosaic CD’s and cases (but no box) in exchange for a donation to the board for whatever the going rate is (and I’ll cover the P&H myself, to any US address).

Thing is, I’d like to keep the water-damaged LY booklet I have — so the offer only goes for the discs and cases.

I have bought boxless/bookless sets by Sam Rivers and Quincy Jones, plus partial sets by Joe Pass, Johnny Smith, and J.J. Johnson.  Sold the Jones years ago, have been trying to sell or trade the Rivers for years since I was able to acquire the individual Rivers CD's (always my BN preference over a Mosaic set, the artwork was part of the magic for me).   The partial sets fill some gaps for me, though I don't like that format for owning the music.