Pepper Adams Biography

There is a book about Pepper Adams coming out in September. Ethan Iverson in his Substack page, Transitional Technology, has an excerpt.

https://open.substack.com/pub/iverson/p/tt-288-pepper-adams-by-gary-carner?r=b9oem&utm_medium=ios&utm_campaign=post

He also has a link to a website about Pepper Adams that looks fantastic.

http://www.pepperadams.com

4 hours ago, Brad said:

Could be in that both have intros by Chick Corea. However, this one is shorter than Reflectory; maybe the author omitted something in this new one.  Different titles too. 

Reflectory is hardcover, whereas Saxophone Trailblazer is paperback (smaller print). Different publishers, different titles?

Edited by sonnymax

Gary self-published "Reflectory" as an e-book.  

"Saxophone Trailblazer" is a paperback version of "Reflectory" but it's an edited/condensed version published by an imprint of a university press. The original book was about 400 pages; this one is 254 pages. The earlier "Joy Road," published in 2012, was an expansive, annotated discography-chronology that was a precursor to the eventual full biography. 

Edited by Mark Stryker

1 hour ago, Mark Stryker said:

"Saxophone Trailblazer" is a paperback version of "Reflectory" but is an edited/condensed version published by a small university press. The original book was about 400 pages; this one is 254 pages. The earlier "Joy Road," published in 2012, was an expansive, annotated discography-chronology that was a precursor to the eventual full biography. 

Thanks, Mark. I tried to investigate, noticed the page difference but stalled out.

SUNY Press is not particularly "small" IMO, though their Excelsior Editions subdivision may be. I've read a number of good SUNY publications and even own a few, though they're on rather arcane subjects.

Edited by T.D.

22 hours ago, T.D. said:

Thanks, Mark. I tried to investigate, noticed the page difference but stalled out.

SUNY Press is not particularly "small" IMO, though their Excelsior Editions subdivision may be. I've read a number of good SUNY publications and even own a few, though they're on rather arcane subjects.

Fair point about the size of the press. I'm editing my original post to remove the qualifier. Thanks.

On 7/28/2023 at 9:11 AM, Mark Stryker said:

"Saxophone Trailblazer" is a paperback version of "Reflectory" but it's an edited/condensed version published by an imprint of a university press. The original book was about 400 pages; this one is 254 pages. The earlier "Joy Road," published in 2012, was an expansive, annotated discography-chronology that was a precursor to the eventual full biography. 

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know about the ebook but even if I had I wouldn’t have purchased it in that form. 

• 5 months later...

Currently reading Saxophone Trailblazer (Gary Carner - State Uni of NY 2023) & am enjoying immensely (of course I'm a Pepper Adams afficonado)

Like the recent Threadgill tome this Carner book is not chronological (do like that format)

He had a close relationship with the Ellington Orchestra - Harry Carney accompanied him when he purchased his first Selmer sax

Rex Stewart was a major mentor & father figure & he was also very close to Thad Jones.

The Joy Road project should accompany this book - both cover his many compositions

https://motema.com/releases/joy-road-the-complete-works-of-pepper-adams-volumes-1-5-2/