Italian cheesemaker fatally crushed by thousands of wheels of cheese.

Dying at/while working. A noble tradition. My great great great great great grandfather, David Tannenberg, probably the first great American organ builder, was killed late in life working on an organ. I think (knowing the workaholic nature of his descendants) he was more than okay with that.

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Dying at/while working. A noble tradition. My great great great great great grandfather, David Tannenberg, probably the first great American organ builder, was killed late in life working on an organ. I think (knowing the workaholic nature of his descendants) he was more than okay with that.

I see he goes back to the 1700s. Impressive.

Dying at work is not the way to go, in my opinion, as my father died of a heart attack at work. Moreover, has anyone ever died wishing that they coukd have worked more?

He will be missed, really a tragedy to die that way. 

But I would have died much earlier since I can´t stand the smell of cheese, I mean especially them wheels of hard cheese . The only cheese I enjoy and eat very often is the "feta" from sheps which we call "telemea" , I like it together with black olives, with slices of capia (those long mild peppers) and Transilvanian salam, or as a "greek salad". 

Dying at work. I remember Mingus told that during his Monterey concert while cocluding his Ellington-Medley with "A Train" he felt something like a pain in his chest and was afraid of dying from a heart attack. 

I hope I´ll not die on stage, because I fear this would be embarrasing for the other musicians and the audience. But with 64 I still have a lotta plans and future I´m sure. 

7 hours ago, jazzbo said:

My great uncle was a roofer. Born in Lithuania and always drank at least two vodkas for breakfast as an eye opener. Later in life he went blind, but still insisted on checking his team's work. You can see where this is going.

11 hours ago, rostasi said:

This is actually a sad story. The headlines over here sold it in a jokey way, as if he'd been killed in a cheese rolling race or something cartoonish. Actually just warehousing racks giving way and crushing an employee to death

23 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

My great uncle was a roofer. Born in Lithuania and always drank at least two vodkas for breakfast as an eye opener. Later in life he went blind, but still insisted on checking his team's work. You can see where this is going.

Interesting descendance. So Lituania during that time was part of the URSS ? Yeah, I also knew people who took vodca for breakfast. But gettin´ blind is a drag, really, but remarkable that he still checked his team´s work. 
Blind from alcool ? I heard things like that. But sure it was other causes....

1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Interesting descendance. So Lituania during that time was part of the URSS ? Yeah, I also knew people who took vodca for breakfast. But gettin´ blind is a drag, really, but remarkable that he still checked his team´s work. 

Born in Russia in what's now Lithuania but all this happened in South Africa, where he'd emigrated. Blind from age, I think. 

5 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Lithuania, which centuries ago was once a great power, lost most of its territory to Russia in the late 1700s. It regained independence after WWI but then was taken over by the Nazis and then the USSR until the breakup of the USSR in 1990. 

6 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Sometimes, in some places, some people use any kind of alcohol (methyl alcohol? isopropyl alcohol?) to make an alcoholic drink.  Some types of alcohol can mess up your eyes.

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Lithuania, which centuries ago was once a great power, lost most of its territory to Russia in the late 1700s. It regained independence after WWI but then was taken over by the Nazis and then the USSR until the breakup of the USSR in 1990. 

Taken over by the USSR before the Nazis, I think, as part of Soviet Russia's agreement with Nazi Germany to divide up the area. The territory was then invaded by the Nazis as part of the attack on the USSR, but Lithuania had already lost its independence before that.

Its involvement in the Second World War might be politely described as "mixed", and perhaps best left at that.

57 minutes ago, gvopedz said:

Sometimes, in some places, some people use any kind of alcohol (methyl alcohol? isopropyl alcohol?) to make an alcoholic drink.  Some types of alcohol can mess up your eyes.

When I first went to Russia as a 14 year old on a school trip, the teachers biggest fears were that we would drink the street vodka. This was in the Yeltsin era, and antifreeze being sold as vodka was a big issue.

In this case I think my great uncle just went blind from age (Glaucoma, maybe) and general bloody minded old person's distrust of doctors.

23 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Why ya gotta go and take the fun out of it like that! :mellow:

Sorry! 🧀

@Rabshakeh Their involvement with helping to eliminate the Jewish population is notorious, to put it lightly, but that’s in the past  

I once had the pleasure of helping out a Lithuanian with some immigration problems. She was a “friend” of my boss and she was quite a character and one of the most beautiful women I’ve ever met.  She wanted to become a citizen so we entered her into the immigration lottery, which unexpectedly she won, and eventually she got her green card and became a citizen. 

5 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I hope to hell you know I only meant that sarcastically!!

Of course. Hence le fromage.

2 hours ago, Brad said:

@Rabshakeh Their involvement with helping to eliminate the Jewish population is notorious, to put it lightly, but that’s in the past  

I once had the pleasure of helping out a Lithuanian with some immigration problems. She was a “friend” of my boss and she was quite a character and one of the most beautiful women I’ve ever met.  She wanted to become a citizen so we entered her into the immigration lottery, which unexpectedly she won, and eventually she got her green card and became a citizen. 

I've met many lovely Lithuanians, including from where my family originally came from. Always best to keep things civil, is my view.