Richard Davis - 1930-2023

Chuck Nessa

I never saw him live, but remember him best for his playing on the more interesting, more advanced BN-albums of the 60´s. While a lot of stuff of others became more and more the boogaloo thing, most of them sounding the same way, I was only thrilled by sessions of the kind, where Richard Davis participated. I didn´t even know that he was still alive. 

I first heard him — without realizing I was hearing him — on ASTRAL WEEKS, which changed my world. When I heard OUT TO LUNCH years later and made that connection, it changed my world all over again. RIP, and thank you for the music.

Edited by Joe

2 hours ago, Joe said:

I first heard him — without realizing I was hearing him — on ASTRAL WEEKS, which changed my world. When I heard OUT TO LUNCH years later and made that connection, it changed my world all over again. RIP, and thank you for the music.

Absolutely this.

Astral Weeks changed my world too, still does every time I listen to it. The story goes that Van hadn't written the parts just told Davis to do what he usually did. Result, an absolute masterpiece. Even in you're not keen on Morrison have a listen for Davis alone

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

Absolutely this.

Astral Weeks changed my world too, still does every time I listen to it. The story goes that Van hadn't written the parts just told Davis to do what he usually did. Result, an absolute masterpiece. Even in you're not keen on Morrison have a listen for Davis alone

From Wikipedia:  Davis proved, perhaps, to be the most pivotal instrumentalist during these sessions. "If you listen to the album, every tune is led by Richard and everybody followed Richard and Van's voice", says Merenstein. "I knew if I brought Richard in, he would put the bottom on to support what Van wanted to do vocally, or acoustically. Then you get Jay playing those beautiful counter-lines to Van."[22] Davis was not impressed by Morrison, not out of disdain or any preconceived notions, but rather because Morrison's professional comportment generally did not meet Davis's expectations. "No prep, no meeting", recalls Davis. "He was remote from us, 'cause he came in and went into a booth ... And that's where he stayed, isolated in a booth. I don't think he ever introduced himself to us, nor we to him ... And he seemed very shy".[18] 

Sad news. He was a great person, too. If you read "Notes and Tones", he's the only one in the book that doesn't have a bad thing to say about anyone.

How many jazz musicians can say that they performed under Stravinsky, and was singled out by Igor for his great virtuosity during the curtain calls!

RIP.