Any recommendations of analog string quartet recordings?

Bol

I'm getting slightly obsessed with listening to old string quartet recordings on vinyl.  The strings sound so much richer and multi-dimensional than on digital recordings.

The two sets I've been playing repeatedly are:

Schneider Quartet's almost complete recordings (why not Op. 9?!) of the Haydn quartets issued by Haydn Society Records in the 1950s.  

Vegh Quartet's recordings of the Beethoven quartets issued by Valois in the 1970's

If you know old pre-digital string quartet recordings that you particularly love, please recommend them.  I am currently trying to get good copies of the Vegh Quartet's Bartok quartets, and eyeing Quarteto Italiano's Schumann quartets.  What else?

Edited by Bol

Here's one on CRI from Billy Jim Layton, the head of the music dept. at the uni I went to. It has some jazz elements to it (the cello playing a walking bass line, the long Dolphy-liike violin lines.

He liked to use jazz elements in his pieces, but a friend of mine who was a child prodigy on piano, was 'arrested' by the music dept. police, and brought before 'judge 'Billy Jim' for the offense of playing jazz piano in the practice rooms. He was ordered to stop playing 'popular music', and concentrate on 'serious music'.

My friend responded by transferring to The New England Conservatory of Music, where he studied with Jaki Byard.

The second movement is a snooze fest, so I didn't include it, but it's available on the queue. I don't know if it ever made it to digital, but it sounds great on vinyl.

Edited by sgcim

2 hours ago, Bol said:

If you know old pre-digital string quartet recordings that you particularly love, please recommend them.  I am currently trying to get good copies of the Vegh Quartet's Bartok quartets, and eyeing Quarteto Italiano's Schumann quartets.  What else?

The Quartetto Italiano made a gorgeous sound, and (beginning in the mid-1960s) Philips engineers captured it beautifully.

I'm not familiar with their Schumann recordings -- but I would definitely recommend the Quartetto Italiano recordings of Mozart, Beethoven, and (most especially) Schubert.

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, Ron S said:

The Tatrai Quartet's Haydn quartet recordings on Hungaraton--the first complete recorded Haydn quartet cycle--are generally highly regarded:

https://www.discogs.com/search/?q=haydn+tatrai&type=all&format_exact=LP

The Tatrai Quartet's recordings (on CD's) were my first introduction to Haydn's quartets back when I was in grad school in the 1990's!  At some point, I moved on the the period instrument recordings and got rid of the Tatrai CD's.  But now I like many of the older recordings on modern instruments.  So I will check some of these out.  Thanks.

Oh, sorry about that.

At least there's some records. Maybe you can find them in your part of the world.

I shared your affection for analog quartets, analog classical in general. I really like the sound of the pre-hifi records (especially 10" LPs), boxy yet with such an immediacy. It gets cleaned up in later iterations (when there are any), but I like those first attempts to get stuff on LP. 

Happy hunting, and let us know what you find!