Amina Claudine Myers - Song for Mother E

HutchFan

Amigos,

Earlier today, I was reading the October edition of The New York City Jazz Record.  I was happy to see a review of Amina Claudine Myer's album Song for Mother E. 

LmpwZWc.jpeg

Per the write-up, Leo has reissued this amazing record on CD.  I am stoked because I've wanted it for a long time.  (So far, I've only heard it via streaming.)

Since Leo doesn't ship to the U.S., I was just looking for it at Downtown Music Gallery and Dusty Groove.  Unfortunately, it's not listed on either site.  Then I checked Discogs.  No luck there either.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find it?

EDIT:
By the way, if you take a look at the NYJR, be sure to read the three reviews by our fellow board member, @Ken Dryden:)

Edited by HutchFan

Looks like City Hall Records will distribute it and is asking $18.98 for it (including domestic shipping).

http://www.cityhallrecords.com/

Not sure why the Leo website says it won't ship to you (I got the same message) as he definitely does ship worldwide. It's absolutely gonna be cheapest with City Hall though.

"By the time we decided to release it, the master tape deteriorated and eventually could not be used. To produce the CD we had to record it from the LP to digital."

That's unfortunate :(

13 minutes ago, peterintoronto said:

Looks like City Hall Records will distribute it and is asking $18.98 for it (including domestic shipping).

http://www.cityhallrecords.com/

Thank you, Peter!  

13 minutes ago, peterintoronto said:

That's unfortunate :(

Yeah, it is.  But I guess a needle-drop is better than nothing.  

EDIT:
I just took a look at the City Hall site and found the record.  It's only available for pre-order at this point -- with a release date of Nov 17th.  I suspect that's why I'm not seeing it on those other sites.  I guess we'll see!  ;) 

Edited by HutchFan

Not that long ago, Leo Records was advertising some kind of liquidation / going out of business sale. There's a thread on the forum somewhere. So I'm puzzled.

It shows on discogs as a 2023 release, but no offerings. I'd expect offerings pretty soon.

Squidco is sometimes a good source, but I drew a complete blank there and their search engine doesn't even recognize Amina Claudine Myers as a possible leader. 

Edited by T.D.

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I just took a look at the City Hall site and found the record.  It's only available for pre-order at this point -- with a release date of Nov 17th.  I suspect that's why I'm not seeing it on those other sites.  I guess we'll see!  ;) 

FYI: The CD was released in February '23. I got it six months ago through a German mailorder for a reasonable price. The entry at Discogs was made by myself a day after I received the CD (no offer since then at Discogs). Soundwise I'm happy with it.

Odd. We're seeing different release dates on different sites. It appears that Europe had an earlier release (02/23) date than N. America (11/23).

Go figure.

2 hours ago, felser said:

What's the music like?  Gospely with vocals or avant-garde organ/drums freakouts or something inbetween or all of the above?

I'd urge you to give it a listen, felser.  The music ranges from earthy Gospel to Outer Space. But a cosmic, transcendent vibe runs through all of it.

I often get hung up on the term Spiritual Jazz, for a variety of reasons, which I won't delve into now. Suffice it to say, this is most definitely and overtly Spiritual Jazz that touches on everything from Mahalia to Sun Ra.

12 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Odd. We're seeing different release dates on different sites. It appears that Europe had an earlier release (02/23) date than N. America (11/23).

Go figure.

I suspect this just reflects Leo being an effectively one man show and a man who's retiring at that, not getting the US distribution sorted before releasing to us lucky UK folk 

27 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Go figure.

I'd urge you to give it a listen, felser.  The music ranges from earthy Gospel to Outer Space. But a cosmic, transcendent vibe runs through all of it.

I often get hung up on the term Spiritual Jazz, for a variety of reasons, which I won't delve into now. Suffice it to say, this is most definitely and overtly Spiritual Jazz that touches on everything from Mahalia to Sun Ra.

Thx, will look fir it.