BFT235 Link & Discussion

webbcity

2 hours ago, T.D. said:

Thanks, enjoying so far.

SPOILER ALERT

A musician whose work I dig came up in the previous BFT and I weirdly overlooked his inclusion.

I think he's back. Could #13 be this track?

Listened to the first 7 all the way through, all good.

Vague impressions:

#4 sounds as though Gryce may be involved, his style of arrangement.

#7 strongly reminds me of Metheny despite absence of guitar(?!). Maybe an ECM recording. The vocalisations sound really familiar, I may have the album (or have owned it at some point).

I was confused for a minute, but I think you're listening to last month's BFT. This one, BFT235, is actually the 2nd one down in the player. You did nail track 13 though! 😄

Yeah "Quadrangle" was instantly identifiable.  Great tune and I always love Jackie's playing.

#4 reminds me of Lovano in a trio setting, except it doesn't sound like him.  George Garzone?

#5 reminds me of early Mingus, but too low key.  

#7 is some jazz cello.  Not Ron Carter.  I can't think of many cellists.  Abdul Wadud?

Track #1: Dig the arrangement and use of percussion. That almost sounds a Lyricon or some sort of wind controller for a synth voice meant to sound like a sax. Or I'm distracted by the reverb. Is that a bass clarinet doubling the bass line? Yep; nice touch! I've no idea about the band though.

Track #2: "Perdido." That sure sounds like Clark Terry. The other musicians I can't place, though I'm wondering if that's not actually a bass trombone. Or a valve trombone? If so, yes, I'm hearing a lot of Bob Brookmeyer in the solo. Very fluid. The second tenor solo surprised me. Not nearly as "cool" or Getz-like as the first one. 

Track #3: Jackie McLean, "Quadrangle" from Jackie's Bag. I've not spun this is a long time. I should spin it more often; Donald Byrd sounds as good as he's ever sounded here, confidence/execution-wise. Great stuff.

Track #4. I should know this tenor player. It's not Frank Lowe, is it? This is a tenor who knows and respects the instrument's tradition. Tonally, close, but I hear more column here than I do in Lowe's playing, if that makes sense. And the phrasing doesn't sound Lowe-like to me. I like where this goes around 2:30. Something tells me this might be the bassist's gig. This feels so familiar... will almost certainly kick myself upon the reveal. I'm now wondering if this is a player of an older generation stretching into freer territory. That wouldn't surprise me. EDIT: After another listen... there's some Lester in this tenor player's approach. I'm thinking more or more that this is someone like Bill Perkins. But its not Perkins. Could this be Jimmy Giuffre? I don't know those Choice records from the mid 70s all that well, but the configuration (b / d / reeds) fits. The more I listen, the more the lines the tenor are playing sound Giuffre-like. OK, I'm talking myself into believing this is Giuffre. If so, I need to address my relative ignorance of those Choice recordings ASAP!

Track #5: I'm getting John Carter-Bobby Bradford vibes here. Like!

Track #6: Muse, Steeplechase, 1970s: that's the atmosphere here. Woody Shaw on flugelhorn? Charles Tolliver, maybe? Junior Cook on tenor? If so, some interesting choices from him. Probably not him. Could this be one of the Louis Hayes records from that era? The dummer is doing a few things that make me think no. Very active, but mellow. Again, very familair, and likely to make me slap my forehead once the personnel are revealed.

Track #7: Very nice. Not the String Trio of New York. I've no idea, but intrigued. This cellist knows whet they're doing; tremendous tone!

Track #8: Phil Ranelin? The instrumentation (guitar, electric piano) makes me think it's in that orbit. Can't say the trombone player is one I know, but he sure sounds like Curtis Fuller here and there. I suppose this could be a Fuller LP from this era I've never heard... Curtis Fuller does CTI? The tenor player does a Joe Henderson thing here and there, but not Joe. The trumpet player has my attention; he's patient. Nice choice given the accompaniment, which is kind of busy, but I dig it.

Track #9: Lovely. I've no idea, but the pianist isn't an orthodox bopper / modernist. I've getting some Ahmad Jamal vibes, but that's not Jamal's touch or cadence. But the voicings... these aren't necessarily harmonic choices I associate with the various schools of modern jazz piano. They're a bit... more standard? Not a criticism; just an observation. The tune is also teasingly familiar, but that's likely because it's as well constructed as it is. Thumbs up.

Track #10: Just gorgeous. Not Marion Brown, but echoes of Marion Brown. This player's tone is fuller, their phrasing less Ornette-ish. There's a precision here. But's what's happening at 2:15? Would not be surprised if this were a European player, but I kind of doubt it. I also don't think it's anyone contemporary. It's not Roscoe Mitchell, but there's a connection there. I am going to guess its Joseph Jarman, but that's purely a guess based on a lot of context clues.

Track #11: The drummer really holds this together without just imitating Elvin Jones. This despite the fact the concept here is very Trane-like. I get a Stephen Riley vibe from the tenor (tone), but it's not Riley. The pianist is a ringer, but I can't say I know who it is.

Track #12: Almost disco. I'm not complaining, though! It feels Catalyst-y (the Philly group featuring Odean Pope and Eddie Green), but it's not. This sax player has got personality; a funky Dolphy, almost. "Defiant jazz," if you've watched Severance.

Thanks for these grooves; I enjoyed this mix quite a bit!

Edited by Joe

1 – Guessing 60’s vintage and vinyl source?  I do like it, very atmospheric.   Wouldn’t be surprised if this was something on Verve records.   Maintains a fluid rather than static pulse despite the extra percussion, so great credit for that.  The tune is a good one.  Bass Clarinet over the percussion is a nice touch.  Pianist takes the solo honors to me.

2 – ‘Perdido’ of course.   Also sounds vinyl-sourced.   I wanted to think it could be a JATP thing, but I believe I heard a small snippet of Pee Wee Marquette’s voice at the end?  Anyways, no ID’s for the artists.  Competently played by all, for sure.

3 - Works for me!   Ted Curson/Bill Barron?  Whatever it is, sign me up.

4 – It’s good, though I like #3 better.  This drags in the middle, despite the bass player’s best efforts.  This is a later vintage than #3? 

5 – You’re really setting a mood with the horn(s)/bass/drums configuration.   This again sounds like it could be vinyl-sourced.   I like this OK, but suspect that based on names involved, I would expect more.  It does not outstay its welcome, which is good.  Not a big fan of the bass/drums on this.

6 – OK, we just re-entered my wheelhouse!  Surely I have this on a Blue Note CD or something?  Whoever is on it has studied Wayne and Herbie closely.  Suspect this one will be ID’d quickly.

7 – You’d think a bass player put this BFT together or something.   Pleasant enough, but not a biggie for me, as I’m not really a fan of this sort of thing.  Mathematically, it should probably be Ron Carter, as he has done so many of these sorts of albums in his later years.  I’ve made no effort to keep up with them.

8 – Back in another region of my wheelhouse.  Surely 70’s vintage?  I don’t believe I have this, and believe I probably need it, depending on some factors (sometimes I like one cut I hear, get a CD, and am disappointed in the rest of it, especially if it is European musicians).  I especially like the guitar on this.

9 – I assume someone stole the writing credits from Bronislaw Kaper on this (sounds like a very slight twist to “On Green Dolphin Street” to me).   Very pleasant and masterly, yet fades into the background for me.  Lots of excellent pianists have extinguished much of the fire from their playing in their old age – Hal Galper, Kenny Barron, etc.

10 – Certainly masterly, though I’m not a fan of the solo sax format.

11 – Yet another track to fit into my wheelhouse.  I love this one!  Could be anywhere 60’s-80’s, and I’m sure it’s a heavyweight quartet all around.   I surely must have this, and if I don’t it becomes my #1 search priority.  This is awesome!  Suspect it also will be ID’d quickly, maybe even by me as I think about it some more.  This is my favorite cut on the BFT by a mile, much as I really like some of the others.

12 – This is going to polarize a lot of listeners here – me, I dig it!   Got to be from the 70’s, doesn’t it?  Whoever it is listened closely to the Herbie WB albums and ‘Headhunters’ and ‘Thrust’, I suspect.  The soloists don’t do it for me, but the groove is the thang!

Some fascinating stuff.  I greatly look forward to reveals on #’s 1,3,6,8, 11, 12, with some interest in other cuts also.  Thanks Tim!

Oh, to be an early riser!!!!

TRACK ONE - It's oi 6! It's got a positive vibe! It has an electronic lead instrument that almost sounds like a clarinet! Might actually be a clarinet! I'm afraid I've gotten too old and cranky to fully embrace the positivism. Also, it sounds enough like "Poinciana" that I keep hearing Sonny Rollins and I'd want something to make me not do that.

TRACK TWO - Salsido! Bob Brookmeyer? Stealth Tenor player? Clark Terry. Zoot. Either Machito or Tito (either one). I should know but don't. But this is a totally NYC vibe of probably late-50s/early 60s vintage and as such rings totally true and good. This is a very real deal here! Oh, is that Pee Wee at the very end?

TRACK THREE - Jackie, "Quadrangle". The topic of a fair bit of notice over the years, of the "he was writing free heads" before he know how to blow on them" variety. And the solution found here will always sound good, but now that we know hwat cane after - and how soon - hey, aren't we glad that there aren't necessarily any final answers? Even if all new answers might not be good ones? Because some of them are quite good answers!

TRACK FOUR - Interesting organization, I was going to say "with limited harmonic access", but then all of a sudden there some is. I can't say who it is, but it's not unlike the Joe Daley trio if Daley had been less aggressive a player. Definitely some serious organization at work here, whoever it is. I'm intrigued, to say the least!

TRACK FIVE - Ed Blackwell? Those drums are tuned like a mo!

TRACK SIX - 70s-ish, and do we not give enough credit to the underlying Silver influence in much of this type stuff? Is that Joe Farrell on tenor? This sounds real, not re-creative, so all props and love. The pitch wobble tells me its LP, so further authenticity points LOL!!! I'd like to think that I have this record somewhere, but I'd like to think more than a few things that end up not being accurate. Yet hope springs eternal...

TRACK SEVEN - Ron Carter/Jim Hall? But then who's the cello? It's certainly good enough. But Ron Carter on bass is all I'd wager on.

TRACK EIGHT - Another Theda Bara joint. OR....Curtis Fuller on Mainstream, the Crankin' LP. Another Mainstream date (there are too many to count...) that with just a teeny bit more careful production could have been certifiable timeless classics. As it is, still a good record, a damn good record. How about that Raymond Morris, eh? Both fuller Mainstream sides are worthy, but I think I prefer this on on the whole.

TRACK NINE - Is that a Stevie Wonder song? I can't tell for certain, at some point I stopped paying attention knowing full well that some good ones would slip by. It's pretty.

TRACK TEN - ECM? Lot of command of the tenor, both fingers and tone, for sure. Short and to the point.

TRACK ELEVEN - Spunky drummer! Tenor is good, if a bit retro. But there's been far worse offenders in that regard. But...I can't hear this and not think of "Transition", and again, I want somebody to not do that. But all things considered regarding the world today, hey, oh well, this is what we do, I guess. And far worse things could be done, ARE being done. Maybe this is why I'm no longer an early riser.

TRACK TWELVE - What TV shows should have sounded like. But no. We had our chance and we blew it. Still, the energy still rings true. Maybe there a parallell universe TV shows out there that we just need to adjust our capacitor tubes in order to bring in. If that ever happens, I'm getting up early to catch the Farm Report and staying up late to watch the late-nite murder report. And everything in between!Until then, I will continue to enjoy this one very much!

Ok, a full dozen. That was fun! Thanks for the vamps and the non-vamps alike.  Get a good night's rest - no more nor no less!

Hey all, apologies for the delay in responding, life has been nutty these past couple days. More detailed response coming soon. Thanks for listening!

And yes, I figured many people would get #3, but a part of me was hoping to fool some, as I've done with JMac previously. 😎 More on that later...

I am that fool, lol

Remainder of comments prepared prior to viewing this thread:

Percolating rhythms are the coin of this realm.
1. Clarinets in a couple of ranges over the percolating bed, acoustic instruments and Latin-aware drumming.  
2. Manteca?  I don't think so, but tune definitely familiar.  I'll try Jerry Gonzalez.
3. Jazz Messengers?
4. Cool bass and tenor sax unison to start.  Maybe J. D. Allen?
5. Trombone with a tenor gently comping behind it.  Nice effect reminiscent of what Carter-Bradford did with alto and trumpet.  Dave Holland, maybe with Robin Eubanks?
6. It sounds like fluegelhorn.  It's pretty.  The composition is bright and cheerful.  How can I not guess Art Farmer (for the dozenth time, mostly wrong)
7. Sounds like cello to me.  The guitar instead of piano argues against my Pettiford and Sam Jones thoughts.  Ron Carter?
8. Bone with some gentle fusion elements sneaking in, but not taking over.  Tenor is likeably crude and direct. Guitar and amplified upright bass continue to straddle fusion and straight ahead.  I like it.  Steve Turre?
9. Feels a lot like Hampton Hawes to me. 
10. Awesome solo sax.  Almost has to be Sonny Rollins.  
11. Joe Henderson is in the neighborhood, but didn't make that many records with acoustic piano.
12. Shows us a backbeat, then makes it percolate too.  Bass Clarinet comping behind the tenor solo feels like Bennie Maupin x 2. Is it Herbie Hancock?

Thanks all, for your listening and comments so far! Again my apologies for not attending to my own party sooner.

On 10/1/2023 at 12:26 PM, Milestones said:

Yeah "Quadrangle" was instantly identifiable.  Great tune and I always love Jackie's playing.

Indeed! I felt compelled to include this one because it really caught my ear again recently and I wondered where it landed in relation to Ornette's early records. Turns out this was recorded just 2 days after the first session for OC's "Tomorrow is the Question!" Isn't that kind of amazing? I think it is. 

#4 reminds me of Lovano in a trio setting, except it doesn't sound like him.  George Garzone?

Not Lovano or Garzone... I don't want to give too many hints yet, but different neighborhood.

#5 reminds me of early Mingus, but too low key.  

Interesting, I do hear what you mean!

#7 is some jazz cello.  Not Ron Carter.  I can't think of many cellists.  Abdul Wadud?

Not Carter or Wadud.

On 10/1/2023 at 12:59 PM, Joe said:

Track #1: Dig the arrangement and use of percussion. That almost sounds a Lyricon or some sort of wind controller for a synth voice meant to sound like a sax. Or I'm distracted by the reverb. Is that a bass clarinet doubling the bass line? Yep; nice touch! I've no idea about the band though.

I think it might be the odd production that you're hearing, or at least that's what I've thought. I don't believe there's a wind controller or synth involved, though I completely get that thinking!

Track #2: "Perdido." That sure sounds like Clark Terry. The other musicians I can't place, though I'm wondering if that's not actually a bass trombone. Or a valve trombone? If so, yes, I'm hearing a lot of Bob Brookmeyer in the solo. Very fluid. The second tenor solo surprised me. Not nearly as "cool" or Getz-like as the first one.

It is indeed Clark Terry! And Brookmeyer! Ding ding! Not their session, but you nailed those guys.

Track #3: Jackie McLean, "Quadrangle" from Jackie's Bag. I've not spun this is a long time. I should spin it more often; Donald Byrd sounds as good as he's ever sounded here, confidence/execution-wise. Great stuff.

Correct again!

Track #4. I should know this tenor player. It's not Frank Lowe, is it? This is a tenor who knows and respects the instrument's tradition. Tonally, close, but I hear more column here than I do in Lowe's playing, if that makes sense. And the phrasing doesn't sound Lowe-like to me. I like where this goes around 2:30. Something tells me this might be the bassist's gig. This feels so familiar... will almost certainly kick myself upon the reveal. I'm now wondering if this is a player of an older generation stretching into freer territory. That wouldn't surprise me. EDIT: After another listen... there's some Lester in this tenor player's approach. I'm thinking more or more that this is someone like Bill Perkins. But its not Perkins. Could this be Jimmy Giuffre? I don't know those Choice records from the mid 70s all that well, but the configuration (b / d / reeds) fits. The more I listen, the more the lines the tenor are playing sound Giuffre-like. OK, I'm talking myself into believing this is Giuffre. If so, I need to address my relative ignorance of those Choice recordings ASAP!

And again! Damn, you are on fire! It is one of the Giuffre Choice records. I was hoping this would fool people for a little longer. These recordings are most DEFINITELY worth checking out.

Track #5: I'm getting John Carter-Bobby Bradford vibes here. Like!

Yep, I definitely hear that. This might be a record you know, judging from what I see of your tastes.

Track #6: Muse, Steeplechase, 1970s: that's the atmosphere here. Woody Shaw on flugelhorn? Charles Tolliver, maybe? Junior Cook on tenor? If so, some interesting choices from him. Probably not him. Could this be one of the Louis Hayes records from that era? The dummer is doing a few things that make me think no. Very active, but mellow. Again, very familair, and likely to make me slap my forehead once the personnel are revealed.

Yes, it is in fact a Muse date but no hits on the personnel. This one was a recent discovery and a nice surprise for me.

Track #7: Very nice. Not the String Trio of New York. I've no idea, but intrigued. This cellist knows whet they're doing; tremendous tone!

Yep, another recent find for me and one I've been playing a lot.

Track #8: Phil Ranelin? The instrumentation (guitar, electric piano) makes me think it's in that orbit. Can't say the trombone player is one I know, but he sure sounds like Curtis Fuller here and there. I suppose this could be a Fuller LP from this era I've never heard... Curtis Fuller does CTI? The tenor player does a Joe Henderson thing here and there, but not Joe. The trumpet player has my attention; he's patient. Nice choice given the accompaniment, which is kind of busy, but I dig it.

Again, winner! It is Curtis. This is not a very well-known record, I don't think. But I sure am enjoying knowing it better.

Track #9: Lovely. I've no idea, but the pianist isn't an orthodox bopper / modernist. I've getting some Ahmad Jamal vibes, but that's not Jamal's touch or cadence. But the voicings... these aren't necessarily harmonic choices I associate with the various schools of modern jazz piano. They're a bit... more standard? Not a criticism; just an observation. The tune is also teasingly familiar, but that's likely because it's as well constructed as it is. Thumbs up.

The tune is a big part of it for me, I think it's absolutely beautiful. Love the playing as well, they just work so well together here. I hope this one is a nice surprise for people too.

Track #10: Just gorgeous. Not Marion Brown, but echoes of Marion Brown. This player's tone is fuller, their phrasing less Ornette-ish. There's a precision here. But's what's happening at 2:15? Would not be surprised if this were a European player, but I kind of doubt it. I also don't think it's anyone contemporary. It's not Roscoe Mitchell, but there's a connection there. I am going to guess its Joseph Jarman, but that's purely a guess based on a lot of context clues.

Jarman it is! You have great ears my friend. I'm a big JJ fan, but actually hadn't listened to this particular record in quite a while and forgot about this brief solo tune. It is under his name, so you'll be able to find it from there.

Track #11: The drummer really holds this together without just imitating Elvin Jones. This despite the fact the concept here is very Trane-like. I get a Stephen Riley vibe from the tenor (tone), but it's not Riley. The pianist is a ringer, but I can't say I know who it is.

I don't actually know Riley but now I'm intrigued. This is a tenor player who has come on my radar recently in a big way. And your ears are telling you correctly once again re: the pianist. Also agree on the drummer, big fan of the drumming here as well.

Track #12: Almost disco. I'm not complaining, though! It feels Catalyst-y (the Philly group featuring Odean Pope and Eddie Green), but it's not. This sax player has got personality; a funky Dolphy, almost. "Defiant jazz," if you've watched Severance.

Defiant jazz it is! :) 

Thanks for these grooves; I enjoyed this mix quite a bit!

On 10/1/2023 at 1:50 PM, T.D. said:

#12 feels like a Detroit Tribe thing, very much in my personal wheelhouse.

Thinking Wendell Harrison or Phil Ranelin. At work, will have to check the collection when I get home.

Ding ding! And you've probably already ID'd the record by now.

On 10/1/2023 at 5:53 PM, felser said:

1 – Guessing 60’s vintage and vinyl source?  I do like it, very atmospheric.   Wouldn’t be surprised if this was something on Verve records.   Maintains a fluid rather than static pulse despite the extra percussion, so great credit for that.  The tune is a good one.  Bass Clarinet over the percussion is a nice touch.  Pianist takes the solo honors to me.

You're actually off by a couple of decades, believe it or not. I think you do know these people though! I really do love this tune, has been stuck in my head a lot lately.

2 – ‘Perdido’ of course.   Also sounds vinyl-sourced.   I wanted to think it could be a JATP thing, but I believe I heard a small snippet of Pee Wee Marquette’s voice at the end?  Anyways, no ID’s for the artists.  Competently played by all, for sure.

Good catch on Pee Wee Marquette! I faded before he announced the musicians, but that probably gives you an idea of the venue, which does in fact feature in the title of the record.

3 - Works for me!   Ted Curson/Bill Barron?  Whatever it is, sign me up.

Has been ID'd as JMac! But thank you for the reminder that I do need to check out more Bill Barron!

4 – It’s good, though I like #3 better.  This drags in the middle, despite the bass player’s best efforts.  This is a later vintage than #3? 

Yes, this is a later vintage than #3 and has been ID'd by Joe above. These Giuffre records have been in the rotation for me quite a bit lately. 

5 – You’re really setting a mood with the horn(s)/bass/drums configuration.   This again sounds like it could be vinyl-sourced.   I like this OK, but suspect that based on names involved, I would expect more.  It does not outstay its welcome, which is good.  Not a big fan of the bass/drums on this.

I think your suspicion is accurate in some senses, though you may be upset at your dismissal of the bass & drums. :) You definitely know these people, and this particular tune with its simple theme and minimal improvisation is quite different from the remainder of this session. But the theme stuck with me in a big way and haunted me for a bit.

6 – OK, we just re-entered my wheelhouse!  Surely I have this on a Blue Note CD or something?  Whoever is on it has studied Wayne and Herbie closely.  Suspect this one will be ID’d quickly.

Well, Joe has ID'd the record label but I'm not sure anyone has ID'd the session yet, though I'm still catching up with the thread. Glad you're a fan of this one! I think it may be a surprising reveal.

7 – You’d think a bass player put this BFT together or something.   Pleasant enough, but not a biggie for me, as I’m not really a fan of this sort of thing.  Mathematically, it should probably be Ron Carter, as he has done so many of these sorts of albums in his later years.  I’ve made no effort to keep up with them.

Carter was guessed previously and it's not him, but it just occurred to me that he does actually appear elsewhere on this record...on bass, not cello. So that's not a huge hint.

8 – Back in another region of my wheelhouse.  Surely 70’s vintage?  I don’t believe I have this, and believe I probably need it, depending on some factors (sometimes I like one cut I hear, get a CD, and am disappointed in the rest of it, especially if it is European musicians).  I especially like the guitar on this.

Honestly I need to give this whole record more listens myself, it was this tune in particular that grabbed me. But I as I recall the whole thing is pretty great. Will report back on this! And yes, 70s vintage!

9 – I assume someone stole the writing credits from Bronislaw Kaper on this (sounds like a very slight twist to “On Green Dolphin Street” to me).   Very pleasant and masterly, yet fades into the background for me.  Lots of excellent pianists have extinguished much of the fire from their playing in their old age – Hal Galper, Kenny Barron, etc.

This is another where the composition (not to diminish the playing) really stands out for me.

10 – Certainly masterly, though I’m not a fan of the solo sax format.

This saxophonist was ID'd, and I suspect you like him. :) 

11 – Yet another track to fit into my wheelhouse.  I love this one!  Could be anywhere 60’s-80’s, and I’m sure it’s a heavyweight quartet all around.   I surely must have this, and if I don’t it becomes my #1 search priority.  This is awesome!  Suspect it also will be ID’d quickly, maybe even by me as I think about it some more.  This is my favorite cut on the BFT by a mile, much as I really like some of the others.

Really pleased to hear your excitement for this one! I think it might be a surprise. That's all I will say for now...

12 – This is going to polarize a lot of listeners here – me, I dig it!   Got to be from the 70’s, doesn’t it?  Whoever it is listened closely to the Herbie WB albums and ‘Headhunters’ and ‘Thrust’, I suspect.  The soloists don’t do it for me, but the groove is the thang!

ID'd above by T. D. It's a personal favorite!

Some fascinating stuff.  I greatly look forward to reveals on #’s 1,3,6,8, 11, 12, with some interest in other cuts also.  Thanks Tim!

Edited by webbcity

On 10/1/2023 at 6:37 PM, JSngry said:

Oh, to be an early riser!!!!

TRACK ONE - It's oi 6! It's got a positive vibe! It has an electronic lead instrument that almost sounds like a clarinet! Might actually be a clarinet! I'm afraid I've gotten too old and cranky to fully embrace the positivism. Also, it sounds enough like "Poinciana" that I keep hearing Sonny Rollins and I'd want something to make me not do that.

Interesting, Poinciana, maybe that's why I like it so much! :D 

TRACK TWO - Salsido! Bob Brookmeyer? Stealth Tenor player? Clark Terry. Zoot. Either Machito or Tito (either one). I should know but don't. But this is a totally NYC vibe of probably late-50s/early 60s vintage and as such rings totally true and good. This is a very real deal here! Oh, is that Pee Wee at the very end?

BB! CT! Zoot! Tito! NYC! 1963! Pee Wee! Correct on 7 counts!

TRACK THREE - Jackie, "Quadrangle". The topic of a fair bit of notice over the years, of the "he was writing free heads" before he know how to blow on them" variety. And the solution found here will always sound good, but now that we know hwat cane after - and how soon - hey, aren't we glad that there aren't necessarily any final answers? Even if all new answers might not be good ones? Because some of them are quite good answers!

Yes, as noted above what really surprised me when listening to this recently was discovering that it was recorded almost at the same time as OC's "Tomorrow is the Question!"

TRACK FOUR - Interesting organization, I was going to say "with limited harmonic access", but then all of a sudden there some is. I can't say who it is, but it's not unlike the Joe Daley trio if Daley had been less aggressive a player. Definitely some serious organization at work here, whoever it is. I'm intrigued, to say the least!

I won't spill it here in case you want it to remain an intriguing mystery, but this has been ID'd above.

TRACK FIVE - Ed Blackwell? Those drums are tuned like a mo!

Not Ed, but the drummer is definitely notable IMHO!

TRACK SIX - 70s-ish, and do we not give enough credit to the underlying Silver influence in much of this type stuff? Is that Joe Farrell on tenor? This sounds real, not re-creative, so all props and love. The pitch wobble tells me its LP, so further authenticity points LOL!!! I'd like to think that I have this record somewhere, but I'd like to think more than a few things that end up not being accurate. Yet hope springs eternal...

It's definitely possible you have this record! Yes, vinyl, and yes, "real." Not a household name but no doubt someone you know, most probably better than I do.

TRACK SEVEN - Ron Carter/Jim Hall? But then who's the cello? It's certainly good enough. But Ron Carter on bass is all I'd wager on.

Third guess on Carter, and third strike! Haha. Though Carter is on other cuts on this record, which is a recent favorite discovery of mine.

TRACK EIGHT - Another Theda Bara joint. OR....Curtis Fuller on Mainstream, the Crankin' LP. Another Mainstream date (there are too many to count...) that with just a teeny bit more careful production could have been certifiable timeless classics. As it is, still a good record, a damn good record. How about that Raymond Morris, eh? Both fuller Mainstream sides are worthy, but I think I prefer this on on the whole.

Bingo! And your answer speaks more than mine to felser's question above.

TRACK NINE - Is that a Stevie Wonder song? I can't tell for certain, at some point I stopped paying attention knowing full well that some good ones would slip by. It's pretty.

Not Stevie Wonder, but a WONDERFUL tune in my opinion. That's not a hint, just a bad pun. :) 

TRACK TEN - ECM? Lot of command of the tenor, both fingers and tone, for sure. Short and to the point.

Not ECM, but I can hear what you're hearing! This one has been ID'd as well, most assuredly a familiar name.

TRACK ELEVEN - Spunky drummer! Tenor is good, if a bit retro. But there's been far worse offenders in that regard. But...I can't hear this and not think of "Transition", and again, I want somebody to not do that. But all things considered regarding the world today, hey, oh well, this is what we do, I guess. And far worse things could be done, ARE being done. Maybe this is why I'm no longer an early riser.

Sure, retro, but done very well IMO, and a tenor player I'm definitely keeping my ears on, as well as the drummer!

TRACK TWELVE - What TV shows should have sounded like. But no. We had our chance and we blew it. Still, the energy still rings true. Maybe there a parallell universe TV shows out there that we just need to adjust our capacitor tubes in order to bring in. If that ever happens, I'm getting up early to catch the Farm Report and staying up late to watch the late-nite murder report. And everything in between!Until then, I will continue to enjoy this one very much!

I want to watch this TV show! And this track has been ID'd, you probably know the record in fact.

Ok, a full dozen. That was fun! Thanks for the vamps and the non-vamps alike.  Get a good night's rest - no more nor no less!

On 10/3/2023 at 6:28 PM, randyhersom said:

I am that fool, lol

Ha! :D 

Remainder of comments prepared prior to viewing this thread:

Percolating rhythms are the coin of this realm.

1. Clarinets in a couple of ranges over the percolating bed, acoustic instruments and Latin-aware drumming.  

One of the few that hasn't been ID'd yet. I think is a real catchy tune myself.

2. Manteca?  I don't think so, but tune definitely familiar.  I'll try Jerry Gonzalez.

This one has been ID'd, and no doubt you know the tune!

3. Jazz Messengers?

ID'd as the mighty JMac!

4. Cool bass and tenor sax unison to start.  Maybe J. D. Allen?

This has been ID'd as well, but J.D. Allen is an interesting guess. I hope this track and session finds more ears now that the cat is out of the bag. :)

5. Trombone with a tenor gently comping behind it.  Nice effect reminiscent of what Carter-Bradford did with alto and trumpet.  Dave Holland, maybe with Robin Eubanks?

This is actually trumpet and alto, but the Carter-Bradford comparison is again a good one. This will likely be a tough one to get because there's so little improv, but I was captivated by the melody.

6. It sounds like fluegelhorn.  It's pretty.  The composition is bright and cheerful.  How can I not guess Art Farmer (for the dozenth time, mostly wrong)

I wish I could tell you it's Art Farmer! It isn't, but I will say that the trumpet & fluegel playing on this record is one of the high points for me. Beautiful sound!

7. Sounds like cello to me.  The guitar instead of piano argues against my Pettiford and Sam Jones thoughts.  Ron Carter?

4th Ron Carter guess! No RC on this track though. I am really enjoying this cellist a lot.

8. Bone with some gentle fusion elements sneaking in, but not taking over.  Tenor is likeably crude and direct. Guitar and amplified upright bass continue to straddle fusion and straight ahead.  I like it.  Steve Turre?

This one has been ID'd too, not Turre. This is definitely a current favorite track!

9. Feels a lot like Hampton Hawes to me. 

Not Hawes, wondering if anyone will get this one. I do think it's a beautiful performance.

10. Awesome solo sax.  Almost has to be Sonny Rollins.  

This has been ID'd as well, not Rollins.

11. Joe Henderson is in the neighborhood, but didn't make that many records with acoustic piano.

I'm sure Joe Henderson is an influence here.

12. Shows us a backbeat, then makes it percolate too.  Bass Clarinet comping behind the tenor solo feels like Bennie Maupin x 2. Is it Herbie Hancock?

The Herbie guess is an apt one, as is Maupin, but this one has been ID'd above as well.

The exact track for #12 is escaping me.

I know it's Tribe! Could have sworn it was Wendell Harrison Farewell to the Welfare, but it doesn't match the couple of versions I have in the collection.

A lot of the Tribe repertory was released in various remixes...maybe this is a remix I don't have. 🧐

27 minutes ago, T.D. said:

The exact track for #12 is escaping me.

I know it's Tribe! Could have sworn it was Wendell Harrison Farewell to the Welfare, but it doesn't match the couple of versions I have in the collection.

A lot of the Tribe repertory was released in various remixes...maybe this is a remix I don't have. 🧐

It's from my personal favorite Tribe record, credited to Harrison/Ranelin or Ranelin/Harrison depending on which issue you're looking at... this particular LP has had at least 3 different covers! 

Had to Shazam on #11, as I was not going to ID it, and couldn't wait 3 weeks for the answer.  Color me intrigued!  Added to my Ebay, Amazon, and Discogs wantlists!  Is the whole album up to the level of this cut?  My fear would be that this cut is a standout outlier.

1 hour ago, webbcity said:

It's from my personal favorite Tribe record, credited to Harrison/Ranelin or Ranelin/Harrison depending on which issue you're looking at... this particular LP has had at least 3 different covers! 

Finally!

Track 8, a Wendell Harrison composition Beneficent from this album: 

OS04NTIwLmpwZWc.jpeg

I got the Japanese CD reissue with this cover because I consider its art the most badass of the 3 versions. The music is pretty damn good too!

Edited by T.D.

Correct, and agreed! That's my favorite cover as well... the first one I knew actually, before I realized there were 2 others!

1 hour ago, felser said:

Had to Shazam on #11, as I was not going to ID it, and couldn't wait 3 weeks for the answer.  Color me intrigued!  Added to my Ebay, Amazon, and Discogs wantlists!  Is the whole album up to the level of this cut?  My fear would be that this cut is a standout outlier.

I think the whole album is pretty great! Came to my attention after being pretty blown away by the sax player at a local show. (Sax player not local to Maine though, just on tour)

9 hours ago, webbcity said:

Thanks all, for your listening and comments so far! Again my apologies for not attending to my own party sooner.

Thanks! My ears surprise me sometimes!

EDIT: Now that Muse has been confirmed and I'm listening again... is this David Schnitter? Methinks it might me. If so, that means it might be Claudio Roditi on trumpet and Albert Dailey on piano. I'm even more intrigued now!

Edited by Joe

I have to admit I don't expect too many hits on one of Tim's BFTs as his ears are so much wider than mine but if I jump in with my comments, good, bad or ugly, maybe he'll return the favor come January.

Track 1: The backing was OK but I wish something else was the main soloist over it. A trumpeter here might have made this more appealing to me.

Track 2: This is much more in my wheelhouse ... I always fail to ID Clark Terry so I've decided to go with him.

Track 3: OMG two in a row!  Jackie McLean from the part of his BN career that I enjoy.

Track 4-5: Not for me.

Track 6: A good 'un; no guesses but I preferred the trumpet to the tenor.

Track 7: Not an instrumental combo I look for ...

Track 8: I feel like these are good players (trombone and trumpet) stuck recording in the style of the day - fusiony/electronic - and a style that thankfully stayed in that era. I am certainly uninterested if anyone is trying to recreate it now.

Track 9: Not a piano trio that holds my interest.

Track 10: pretty but no guesses.

Track 11: Pseudo Trane and honestly Don't Know Don't Care doesn't express my distaste. Is there a story being told here? I don't hear one that is for sure.

Track 12: Hrmmmm. I couldn't help but dig the groove.  I didn't want to like it but sort of can't help myself.

So ... mark me down for 2 and 6 and to a far lesser extent #12.

Thanks!

22 hours ago, Joe said:

Thanks! My ears surprise me sometimes!

EDIT: Now that Muse has been confirmed and I'm listening again... is this David Schnitter? Methinks it might me. If so, that means it might be Claudio Roditi on trumpet and Albert Dailey on piano. I'm even more intrigued now!

Ding ding ding! You are on fire! 🔥  Previous to this, I really only knew Schnitter from a live Freddie Hubbard record, but Roditi I knew even less about, and he sounds DAMN good on this session IMHO.

20 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

I have to admit I don't expect too many hits on one of Tim's BFTs as his ears are so much wider than mine but if I jump in with my comments, good, bad or ugly, maybe he'll return the favor come January.

But of course! Looking forward to January! :) 

Track 1: The backing was OK but I wish something else was the main soloist over it. A trumpeter here might have made this more appealing to me.

I can at least partly agree with you, I could absolutely do with hearing a trumpet player on this as well. But I won't say who as that might give it away. ;) 

Track 2: This is much more in my wheelhouse ... I always fail to ID Clark Terry so I've decided to go with him.

Bingo on CT! This one has essentially been ID'd above by Jim.

Track 3: OMG two in a row!  Jackie McLean from the part of his BN career that I enjoy.

Yessir!

Track 4-5: Not for me.

Can't win 'em all... but at least we've won a couple. 

Track 6: A good 'un; no guesses but I preferred the trumpet to the tenor.

I like both but might be inclined to agree with you. Beautiful trumpet playing on this record. This was just ID'd above by Joe.

Track 7: Not an instrumental combo I look for ...

Track 8: I feel like these are good players (trombone and trumpet) stuck recording in the style of the day - fusiony/electronic - and a style that thankfully stayed in that era. I am certainly uninterested if anyone is trying to recreate it now.

Both the trombonist and trumpeter do have sessions going back to the 50s!

Track 9: Not a piano trio that holds my interest.

Track 10: pretty but no guesses.

Track 11: Pseudo Trane and honestly Don't Know Don't Care doesn't express my distaste. Is there a story being told here? I don't hear one that is for sure.

Track 12: Hrmmmm. I couldn't help but dig the groove.  I didn't want to like it but sort of can't help myself.

I'll take it!

So ... mark me down for 2 and 6 and to a far lesser extent #12.

You know what they say, 2 and 1/2 out of 12 ain't bad...

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, webbcity said:

Ding ding ding! You are on fire! 🔥  Previous to this, I really only knew Schnitter from a live Freddie Hubbard record, but Roditi I knew even less about, and he sounds DAMN good on this session IMHO.

Wow, so that means Ed Blackwell on drums. I have to listen to this again, as that was not an obvious option to me initially.

I've heard some recent Schnitter, and it's quite good. I believe he has a release on Bandcamp. But it would be nice to have all those Muse LPs restored to circulation... to say nothing of the Jazz Messengers LPs he plays on.