Johnny Griffin - Live at Ronnie Scott's, 1964

mjzee

Release date November 10:

71n2kKTniSL._SL1500_.jpg

This never-heard- before recording of the legendary tenor sax "Little Giant" Johnny Griffin playing at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club and backed by members of Ronnie's House Band (Stan Tracey, Malcolm Cecil and Jackie Dougan) sees a AAA vinyl release. The album was mastered at Gearbox Records using an all-analogue signal chain and cut directly from the original tapes, which were recorded at the club by Les Tomkins in 1964. The sleeve features photography by the esteemed Val Wilmer and liner notes by Richard Williams.

17 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I'll definitely scoop this although I'm also definitely running out of room.

But you moved out of Brooklyn or wherever it was ... you don't have room still? I'd be ordering a new CD rack for $60 and 270 or 540 more slots. :)

40 minutes ago, optatio said:

"The sleeve features photography by the esteemed Val Wilmer and liner notes by Richard Williams."

Source: https://recordstoreday.com/UPC/5060708611064

I think I have it in this lovely 1972 book:

9780600021193-us.jpg

Found it in an East Texas department store remainder bin while still a teen. One of those things that as time goes on you have to ask yourself "why me?"

One wonderful photo after another, few if any of them have become common yet, so it's worth picking up somewhere if a reasonable deal can be found.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I think I have it in this lovely 1972 book:

9780600021193-us.jpg

Found it in an East Texas department store remainder bin while still a teen. One of those things that as time goes on you have to ask yourself "why me?"

One wonderful photo after another, few if any of them have become common yet, so it's worth picking up somewhere if a reasonable deal can be found.

63 Ronnie Scott (Copy).jpg

This cover photo is also by Valerie Wilmer. Ronnie Scott leans against the wall of his club house.

Edited by optatio

I don´t know too many records or live tapes from Ronnie Scott´s . Once I did read a book, I think it was Ronnie Scotts autobiography or something like that. I mean, all those greats who performed there: Mostly tenor saxophonists if I think about it. 
I friend of mine, who was 5 years older, was in London when I still couldn´t travel and saw Dizzy there, he told me it was with the band with Al Gafa and all that stuff, that I think I have on a Pablo record from the mid seventies. 

Johnny Griffin was so great, and he traveled so much in Europe. So I had the opportunity to see him in different venues. 

Actually, Griff was the first US Jazzman I saw life, not in a concert but in a small club, with the Fritz Pauer Trio.

Stan Tracey......sure he was one of the most important figures of jazz in UK. But somehow he sounds quite too individual if he comps for a more mainstream tenorist like let´s say Ben Webster. I also did read that some US musicians were not so pleased with his comping.....(Byas, Thompson).....

Anyway, I must admit that from all European pianists I heard over here, I liked Fritz Pauer most, and Tete Montoliu. IMHO they were the greatest European jazz pianists ready to play with US Greats.....