Colin Stetson

Rabshakeh

6 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

An artist who is very rarely mentioned on this forum. 

I have in recent months increasingly seen him, or at least his solo saxophone and electronic pieces, referenced as a major inspiration for many up and coming players.

What's the forum view?

maxresdefault.jpg

It's not my thing much either.

People seem very impressed by the solo records. More to do with the fact that they are solo and the way that they are recorded (including the clicks of fingers on keys) rather than what is actually being played. 

He does seem to be being used as a model. I was listening to Surrender by Bendik Giske, and that is clear Stetson worship.

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

It's not my thing much either.

People seem very impressed by the solo records. More to do with the fact that they are solo and the way that they are recorded (including the clicks of fingers on keys) rather than what is actually being played. 

He does seem to be being used as a model. I was listening to Surrender by Bendik Giske, and that is clear Stetson worship.

I don't know who either of those people are. Shame on me, maybe.

Understood. But he's not bad! I think it's worth checking out several minutes of his solo music and deciding for yourself. 

There's also a duo with Mats G (maybe more than one?) that's decent, if flutter-tonguing, harmonics, and key clicks are your thing. There is an ambient-ness to Stetson's music that works well in certain contexts... and I don't mean "new age ambient," but the kind of agitated sound environments that are neither foreground nor background.

I'm listening to some solo music from his Youtube page.

Sounds like it (generally and likely not as score-based/composed) fits into what Kyle Gann used to (and probably still does) call "Postminimalism", though that admittedly covers vast amounts of ground. Very strong pulse / rhythm, definite ambientness. Agreed that it's by no means bad.

Pass for now on the duo you just mentioned. I used to listen to a lot of avant-garde classical that relied heavily on extended techniques. Got my fill of key-clicks from Salvatore Sciarrino 🧐; still have not-so-pleasant memories of Ferneyhough. Not to badmouth the compositions, but I don't have big appetite for that sound world these days. Perhaps my listening will swing back in that direction some time.

Edited by T.D.