Trying To Help a Retailer But Getting a Disappointing Reply

I recently placed a large music order and discovered two copies of one CD, cursing myself for my carelessness. But when I reviewed the online invoice, I discovered that I had only ordered and been charged for one copy.

I requested that the vendor email me a prepaid postage label so I can return it. I was thanked for my honesty, then directed to pay for the return shipping and they would reimburse me. Not exactly the response I was expecting...

Seems a tad messed up. I think I would have approached it as "if you issue a credit for the return shipping I'll send it back to you" and otherwise, they messed up you are under no obligation to send something back you didn't order. Paying shipping first seems ridiculous.

That exactly what I requested. I don't want to stand in line to return it and the weirdest stipulation was that I had to return it within fourteen days to get credit. So they will be paying for first class mail, I am not risking the adventure of media mail.

By the way, the USPS recently did away with optional insurance on media mail for items valued under $500. Pretty dumb, as I can't imagine there are a high percentage of successful claims.

The business replied to my follow up email that they had no ability to create a prepaid label in their system. That seems odd for business that relies heavily on mail order.

The issue I have is if the USPS loses or damages the package, I am out the return postage. The business, not me, should shoulder the risk. O've already had at least one shipment via media mail from them that took over four weeks to reach me, so I didn't use it, though they suggested it, given that there was a two week deadline for returning the CD.

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

I've already had at least one shipment via media mail from them that took over four weeks to reach me, so I didn't use it, though they suggested it, given that there was a two week deadline for returning the CD.

The CD that THEY f’d up and sent you by mistake?? :wacko:

What the hell kind of operation are they running? — putting tight time-framed return demands on a customer to return a product they sent out by mistake, that they wouldn’t even have known about if you hadn’t told them?? :crazy:

2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

The CD that THEY f’d up and sent you by mistake?? :wacko:

What the hell kind of operation are they running? — putting tight time-framed return demands on a customer to return a product they sent out by mistake, that they wouldn’t even have known about if you hadn’t told them?? :crazy:

Exactly! In short, either they pay all your return shipping expenses - or else ... (and you just keep the item, then ...).

And them allegedly being unable to create  prepaid return label (that you can atach to your return parcel so shipping is free for you) is just lame! Who knows how long reimbursement would take, and given the previous in-transit time experience I wouldn't trust that 14-day time frame either.

It is a Chicago store that many of you have dealt with via mail order. I don''t want to name them, as they are also the ones who credited my expedited shipping on my previous order when there were numerous delays by the shipper.

I do they sending me a prepaid label would have been a far smarter, more efficient solution.

Dusty Groove? Returns are not their forte. Only had to try once, and try was as far as it got.

Once was all it happened, and it was years ago, but my lesson from the experience was caveat emptor. I still keep that in mind with each and every order (of which there have been many).