• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

It’s done:

Juan Soto to the Yankees

Going all-in on a one-year rental while Cole and Judge are still in their prime… I’m on board with it, but it’s costing them pitching depth. 

Omitting King the pitchers have Big League potential (only) .... but a high price for a one year party nevertheless ....

I know its early in hot stove season but I just have this feeling that despite new management they will get outbid on everybody and the most impactful thing maybe sending their starting RF to NY for three possible/maybe/kinda sorta usable bullpen pieces. In the future.

21 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

It’s done:

Juan Soto to the Yankees

Going all-in on a one-year rental while Cole and Judge are still in their prime… I’m on board with it, but it’s costing them pitching depth. 

What's this about center field being too risky a position for Judge, that it's too much of a strain? Seriously?

1966-topps-1-willie-mays-mint-9-87305.jp

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

What's this about center field being too risky a position for Judge, that it's too much of a strain? Seriously?

1966-topps-1-willie-mays-mint-9-87305.jp

I think the concern stems from Judge’s size, his injury history, and the greater physical demands of playing CF. Judge himself seems fine with it. It’s probably only for most of all of 2023 anyway, as Jasson Dominguez is on tap to take over the position once he’s fully recovered from TJS. 

28 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Dodgers’ SB Nation site reporting that Ohtani is signing with Toronto.

If true, the AL East just got even beastlier.

This guy otoh says no decision yet.

I wonder what the premium is to cover his Canadian taxes. They won't be inconsequential for a salary as high as he will be getting.

3 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

I think the concern stems from Judge’s size, his injury history, and the greater physical demands of playing CF. Judge himself seems fine with it. It’s probably only for most of all of 2023 anyway, as Jasson Dominguez is on tap to take over the position once he’s fully recovered from TJS. 

Also there are no bullpen doors in centerfield that I am aware of.

Seriously though he missed another what, 50 games? 32 years old next year, and has played 148 or more games three seasons in his career. Equal to the 3 seasons he played 112 or fewer.  Anything to keep him on the active roster.

19 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Ohtani to the Dodgers for USD 700 .... in 2024 no pitching and in 2025 - after Tommy John - still questionable .... hmmmmh ....

Very glad he’s going to be in the NL and not the AL East! Mookie Betts, Freddie Freeman and Ohtani all in the same batting order… yikes.

$700 Million for 10 years but apparently loads of $$ deferred, to ease the impact on the competitive balance tax.

Refresh my memory but isn't Judge taking his $40 million a year, give or take, every year with no such allowance?  I give Ohtani credit for thinking about the impact of such a crazy dollar figure.  Although the Dodgers are printing money these days.

Ohtani to the Dodgers is not unexpected. Once Dave Roberts spoke publicly about Ohtani meeting with the Dodgers last week, I felt it was over. Supposedly the Giants made a strong run, but given the amount, I'm kind of glad they lost out. I don't see Ohtani pitching long term, but moving to first base in the next couple of years. No hitter can impact a club that much to earn 700 million, look at Bonds, he was unreal as a Giant (won't get into the PED stuff, the stats are incredible though), but he never won a World Series with them. Plus, Roberts will find a way to mess up the post season as always.