Help Needed: Hard stomping horn-led R&B to excite a five year old mind

Rabshakeh

My eldest has had a longtime obsession with the song "Hoots Mon" by Lord Rockingham's XII. For anyone who doesn't know the song, here it is:

(Great bit of organ prancing by Cherry Warner on the track.)

This morning, around 6am, I decided to play him something a bit stronger, and found this video featuring Big Jay McNeely with what to me seems like a rather pastichey but fun group:

The eldest really loved it, and was making me play and replay it until the blessed interval of the school day began.

This isn't really my music. Does anyone have any other good ideas for videos or tunes that are like this? What I am looking for is horn-forward R&B (not vocalist-led R&B with a horn section) and with a similar bit of stomping hooligan element.

Songs or videos both welcome. Probably videos better but I'd love to put together a three or four tune playlist for car journeys etc if this continues. If videos, I suspect it needs to be men with instruments dressed in sharp looking uniforms. Or at least what will read to a five year old as sharp looking uniforms. 

Any ideas?

26 minutes ago, sonnymax said:

What about a compilation like this:

81jhna3He0L._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Featuring Jimmy Forrest, Teddy Brannon, Tab Smith, Jimmy Coe, Fred Jackson, Chris Woods, Fats Noel and more.

Streaming available on multiple platforms.

I think it's a good idea, but may be a bit mature. This is real R&B. It doesn't have the hopped up hooligan energy of the two tunes above. I suspect that sort of energy is what he responded to. Probably between actual R&B and simple / stompy mod soul.

Edited by Rabshakeh

:D:D Hoots Mon! An occasional favorite of mine for almost as long as I've been collecting records ...

Agreed about some of the recommendations such as Big Jay McNeely and the Treniers (if you disregard the vocals as per your query ;)) - BUT ... If you consider (understandably) the "Honkers & Bar Walkers" comp a bit too "mature" in the sense of "advanced" or "real" R&B (i.e. almost too "jazzy"?) then I wonder if maybe certain other (well-intentioned but even more advanced) recommendations might be too "mature" as well.

In your particular case where no-frills straight-ahead simplicity that "gets" to the guts of a KID is preferred, I'd just as strongly recommend these:

1) Boots Brown & His Blockbusters / Dan Drew & His Daredevils LP on Groove (RCA Subsidiary). IIRC "Double Cutch" and "Breakfast Ball" on Youtube are excerpts from that LP but many other Boots Brown clips on Youtube are from their 45s from the later 50s. Not quite in the same league.

2) The "Big Boy" tracks done by Howard Rumsey's Lighthouse All Stars (yes, them!!) in c. 1953

3) If it's a lengthy car ride (and if stuff like the above doesn't wear out your kid :D) then I'd suggest you invest in a copy of the Joe Houston "Corn Bread and Cabbage Greens" CD on Ace. It should even get the elders' feet tapping ...
Here's the title track. The tunes on the CD aren't all that up-tempo but the groove is there throughout:

And in case, going beyond Lord Rockinham's XI,  your kid progresses to vocals embedded in these sax sounds then why not try Frankie Ford's "Sea Cruise"? Like one author-historian put it, "the fog horns of the Queen Mary as the sax section - who'da thunk of that ...." :D

Enjoy! ;)

P.S. RE- "Rag Mop":
For your son, may I suggest you try this version as well?
I wouldn't be surprised if he'd find certain "details" catchy beyond expectation: :D

Edited by Big Beat Steve