Is it Just Me? I can't stand George Benson's singing - sounds like....

AllenLowe

How is this any different?

It's not, really. "Jazz fans" displaying antipathy towards a vernacular of pop music for which they have a generic hostility, nothing at all new there, sadly.

Or maybe not sadly. It is what it is, and what it always has been. The time for sadness is long past.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cannonball was the next Bird! 

6 minutes ago, sgcim said:

I guess that confirms the Creed Taylor story.

Really, what is so insidious about that? The man was running a business, lost a leading asset, and didn't want for that market to vaporize. Pretty straightforward if you ask me.

The irony is that once he got Benson, he never maximized his return on investment. He didn't know what to do with him once he got him. There were some good (and better) records, but Benson wanted more. So Tommy LiPuma made him a deal and everybody got what they wanted. 

If this was the most sordid chapter in the history of the American record business, this would truly be a wonderful world. 

6 hours ago, sonnymax said:

From what I gather from other members, no Allen, you are not alone. At the same time, you're probably the only one here who would create a thread to express your hatred of another artist. Certainly not the first time you've done this, and probably not the last. With your vast knowledge and experience, I'd much rather see a thread about musicians you really admire, artists you think I should check out. Larry K does this from time to time, and I appreciate his efforts. Then again, curmudgeons are gonna curmudge. Too bad. 

1) I've written 5 books, at least, and mastered/restored about 2,000 songs that say otherwise. History of jazz, rock and roll, American music, and the blues. All with explanations, historical background, rationale, etc. You're not paying attention. All reasonably priced. 

2) The curmudgeon label is really offensive. Also a-historical, showing a real lack of historical understanding of the place of criticism in music, literature, theater, etc. And it is horribly age-ist - dictionary definition: "a bad-tempered person, especially an old one." I am not bad tempered though I am definitely old. But when I dislike things I have reasons and I explain them. I refuse, as I do get older, to passively accept degrading stereotypes.

And truthfully, this is the kind of personal b.s. that has chased me away on this forum on more than one occasion.

Edited by AllenLowe

I heard an interview with George Benson on the radio many years ago.  Might have been American Forces Radio or VOA.  I seem to remember him saying something like originally he was mainly a vocalist and only got into the guitar because he thought singing might not be enough for a career for him in music.  I don't listen to his stuff much but I like his guitar playing.

Edited by Stompin at the Savoy

Because being a "bad singer" is very much a very real thing. I like plenty of bad singers, but I know what it is I'm liking.

Like that one guy says, do the math. Good pitch + good time + good phrasing does not necessarily = good taste, much less a required liking, not even "good music",  but in no reality-based musical universe does it = actual bad singing. 

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

Cannonball was the next Bird! 

Really, what is so insidious about that? The man was running a business, lost a leading asset, and didn't want for that market to vaporize. Pretty straightforward if you ask me.

The irony is that once he got Benson, he never maximized his return on investment. He didn't know what to do with him once he got him. There were some good (and better) records, but Benson wanted more. So Tommy LiPuma made him a deal and everybody got what they wanted. 

If this was the most sordid chapter in the history of the American record business, this would truly be a wonderful world. 

The thing was, he was no Wes. His rhythmic approach has always been on the funk,soul, Blues, Country, and R&B side of things, while Wes was all about swinging. GB's fave guitarist was Hank Garland, while Wes came out of Charlie Christian.

There's nothing sordid or insidious about it- as you said, everyone got what they wanted.