BFT 236 Reveal ("guest commentary" by Dan Morgenstern)

JSngry

Dan was there for tracks 1-2, and his real time commentary (down beat, September 14, 1972) is, imo, priceless:

DMNewportJam.thumb.jpg.246c6efab15b03271e784fe3d98c54d3.jpg

This review made an impression on me at the time for whatever reason (I was deeply into Mingus then, so there was that), and when the record came out, yeah, I was on it. And still am.

Track 3 is of course, Sonny, and it's not really one of his great "solos", but at this point, Sonny was not really about that all of the time. What he WAS into was just playing the tenor, the sound, the tone, and here he is beautiful doing not a lot besides playing the melody. Same thing is true of Maupin's bass clarinet. But the whole thing just has a nice, relaxed group flow to it, the appeal of which continues to grow on me as the years pass. The Newport jam has that same flow imo, but this is lower-key and seemed like a good way to end.

Obligatory LP covers:

NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Vol 1 is what's on here.

NC0zMTQ4LmpwZWc.jpeg

Ni01MDkwLmpwZWc.jpeg

7 hours ago, Joe said:

It's a crime that the Newport in NY material remains out of general circulation.

They must have gotten good distribution and some sales though as they aren't hard to find if you like the vinyl side.

Thanks to Jim for an excellent choice. It must have been excellent for me to have puzzled it out. ;)

There was a 6 LP box set released at the time, as well as the same material on two double LPs and two singles 

Of the four jam sessions (Vol 1-4), this one is the best imo. The other three do have moments, but this one is special.

Vol 5 is a Jimmy Smith Jam Session. It plays pretty good even if it doesn't really ignite.

Vol 6 is the "Soul Sessions" recorded at Yankee Stadium. The cast of artists is impressive, the actual performances are varied. But there is a Billy Eckstine cut with Sonny Stitt playing the blues that makes the whole thing worthwhile. 

As documents of a long-gone period of jazz, as well as being part of a pivotal moment of the 70s resurgence of a popular interest in jazz, they have merit. Just don't expect 6 LPs of nirvana. 

Just now, Dan Gould said:

It never occurred to me to ask but I guess the whole show was these jam sessions?  Nobody had individual sets with a working group?  I guess a result of less time to program than Newport?

That's what the records are, yeah. The Soul Sessions set is working bands of Curtis Mayfield, Les McCann, Roberta Flack, that's who comes to mind.

The festival itself, which was the first Newport/New York (the rebirth of the festival after the previous year's riots left it for dead was massive. That issue of down beat posted above had Dan Morgenstern and Jim Szantor reviewing every show save one. Reading it today, the jaw drops at the variety presented, not just overall, but within each show itself.

One thing that is intriguing to me was that the had a "dance night" with Basie and Sy Oliver. Jazz for dancing! Who knew?!?!? 

Glad you enjoyed it!

Here's the Discogs link to the 6 LP set:

https://www.discogs.com/release/12144149-Various-Newport-In-New-York-72-The-Complete-Six-Record-Set-Vols-1-6

Forgot to mention that the Jimmy Smith Jam Session record has both Kenny Burrell & BB King, playing side by side. It's enjoyable enough, for sure!

I can't believe I missed this! And only 3 tracks! Sounds like I will have to give this a listen very soon though. Have seen that Newport record around for pretty cheap, never realized it was such a gem! Thanks for bringing my attention to this even if I did miss out on the BFT.