BFT 237 Discussion Thread

felser

On 12/1/2023 at 1:50 PM, felser said:

Consensus seemed to be that I was too far out of bounds on too many cuts last year, so I pulled it in some this year, which leads to less life-altering possibilities, though hopefully still makes for a good listen. 

You know, I get it, but given some of the stuff that goes completely in the opposite direction in the tests of others, I don't think you need to tone any of it down.  We're allowed varied tastes, and participation is a choice.  But that's my 2¢.  ;)

On 12/1/2023 at 7:43 PM, JSngry said:

And that is where you tell them to go fuck themselves.

And mean it. 

Sngry2024

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, tkeith said:

You know, I get it, but given some of the stuff that goes completely in the opposite direction in the tests of others, I don't think you need to tone any of it down.  We're allowed varied tastes, and participation is a choice.  But that's my 2¢.  ;)

Alright then, my promise to myself for my 2024 BFT! :

image.jpeg.9c44889fab5527955cf8fbc940367552.jpeg

1 minute ago, Dan Gould said:

How obscure? A single recording overall, a single recording as a leader?

Discogs shows one recording as a leader (1996), and no other appearances as a sideman. 

Bio:

He first picked up flute and sax after several inspirational encounters in New York around 1970. He played regularly with xxxx's free-form jazz ensemble around the midwest until 197?. Eventually he landed in California for good in 1981, where he became a die-hard member of the L.A. jazz scene.

Thread bread-crumb:  this has to do with cut #10.

6 hours ago, felser said:

#10 is by an obscure L.A.tenor play who put out a great album.  #3 is by a guy who is QUITE well-known on this board, and there is not a vibes player on the album.  surprised no one has figured it out.

#3, no vibes player. I need my hearing tested

7 hours ago, felser said:

#10 is by an obscure L.A.tenor play who put out a great album.  #3 is by a guy who is QUITE well-known on this board, and there is not a vibes player on the album.  surprised no one has figured it out.

Any Tapscott connection (some degrees of separation allowed) for the obscure LA tenor player in #10? With a single 1996 release as leader, nothing is immediately apparent.

If it's too much of a spoiler, feel free to disregard the question. 😉

Just now, T.D. said:

Any Tapscott connection (some degrees of separation allowed) for the obscure LA tenor player in #10? With a single 1996 release as leader, nothing is immediately apparent.

If it's too much of a spoiler, feel free to disregard the question. 😉

I can't find connection online, but would place money it needs to be there.

On 12/16/2023 at 1:51 PM, felser said:

Discogs shows one recording as a leader (1996), and no other appearances as a sideman. 

Bio:

He first picked up flute and sax after several inspirational encounters in New York around 1970. He played regularly with xxxx's free-form jazz ensemble around the midwest until 197?. Eventually he landed in California for good in 1981, where he became a die-hard member of the L.A. jazz scene.

Thread bread-crumb:  this has to do with cut #10.

Wouldn't be Billie Harris?

Okay, as always... cutting it close and coming in just under the wire! I guess the only good thing about doing this late in the month is that I don't have to wait too long for the reveal! And likely many of these have already been ID'd. Haven't peeked yet but will do so after I post this. These are my notes as I listened...

Track 1 - Great groove, love it...a lost groove from another time, sounding even better in lo-fi. No guesses, but this is a total blast.

Track 2 - Right out of the gate I can tell this is gonna be a favorite. Gotta be a 70s or 80s vintage. I like the way the tenor player begins the solo with a reference to the head. Hmmm...nope, I'm wrong about the date, this is quickly sounding like something more recent than I thought. Honestly the tenor player sounds a hell of a lot like Nicole Glover but I don't think it could be her. Overall I like the track but it's actually a little too clean around the edges for me. Great playing from all, no doubt. Just would like for them to get their hands a little dirtier. :)

Track 3 - Hearing a Dolphy influence right off the bat. I really like the sound of the group. Vibes solo is excellent...some really great development there. Aaaaannd, yes, if this altoist doesn't name Dolphy as a primary influence then there's something wrong with my ears. OK, I am REALLY digging the tenor solo. Yeah...I am down with this. Trombone and bari are bringing it as well. I'm gonna guess this is one of Jason Adascewicz's groups (and yes, I'm sure I spelled that wrong)? Not real familiar with him though.

Track 4 - Definitely like what the pianist is setting up. Once the tune starts, it sounds very familiar actually... I feel like I've heard this. Sounds like a newer group but I hear an older Blue Note influence. The alto tone is delicate...beautiful solo. The guitarist is less interesting to me. I do like how each solo is a new experience with a different feel. I'm back on track with the piano solo. Love the rhythmic nature of the bass solo, great sound too. For a minute in there I thought it was gonna go in an Alex Blake direction but no.

Track 5 - Well, I really like this! Took a minute for the vocal to grow on me, but this is a really fun track. Very 60s obviously. Groovy!

Track 6 - Yep, within seconds I can tell this is right in my wheelhouse too. Great groove, interesting tune. Ah, is this 70s Blakey? I think I got an inside hint from you on this though? :D This is excellent! Right in the pocket... everything just feels good here. Really enjoyed the alto as well as the tenor solo. My guess is it must be Schnitter on tenor then? I particularly like the way his solo builds. I definitely need to get into more 70s Blakey. Have played a bit of Child's Dance recently and I love that one. Yep, you sold me on this, love it!

Track 7 - Oh yeah, love that quirky little head! Reminds me of a Booker Ervin record... Space Book I think? That's not a guess, it just reminds me of something on that record. But this grooves... and who is that pianist? Wow! Hang on. Pullen? Talk about one foot in tradition and one in the future, this is it right here. And this must have been the 70s, once again? Holy tenor player! So wait, if this is Pullen and Adams, it's gotta be Mingus? I need to know this record. Fantastic.

Track 8 - No surprise that I am loving most everything here. Oh hey now! This is a Tolliver tune, yes? I'm blanking on the name though. So I love this vibes player but couldn't tell you who it is. That sure as heck sounds like Tolliver himself though on trumpet. LOVING the pianist's support throughtout, that's jumping out at me. Man! What a track! You are killing me with this. I should know this tenor player too. Wow. The piano solo is next level... really loving the way the vibes player supports in an almost ghost-like way at the beginning, and then the drummer kicking it big time towards the end. Everyone is on fire here and I wish I had more guesses... this one is really stumping me. Can't wait for the reveal though!

Track 9 - Another nice groover. Can't sit still for this one. Hell yeah to the organist, great solo and the band is cookin right along. Digging that vibes solo too... inclined to guess Roy Ayers? But that's a shot in the dark. Rock solid groove, this is another keeper for me.

Track 10 - And yet another that's right up my alley. LOVING the vibe of this. Part of the head sounds very close to McCoy's Passion Dance. Very open and exploratory. Even if a little hesitant in spots. I'm hearing the search. Obviously this is a live recording... of a gig I wish I was at. I am repeating myself here, but I feel like I know/should be able to guess this band too. Wow this is great. I'm gonna go back and listen to this one some more, love it.

Track 11 - So the tune is of course from Hair, and the vocalist is nailing it. Great energy, great groove. Winner winner!

Track 12 - Interesting... I like the piano intro but did not expect things to end up where they did. Hang on though, I know this groove. I know this tune. Dammit... I bet you I have this one and I can't place it. Sounds like a Black Jazz record maybe? Gotta love that Rhodes sound. Is there even a bass player on this or is it just the Rhodes player holding it down? It works! Well I guess I'm stumped on this too. Can't tell if it's one I actually know or it just "sounds like" something I know. Either way, I dig it!

As always, lots of winners here for me. You are speakin' my language! Thanks for another great BFT... cannot wait to find out who some of these are!

Update: Ah! Missed Roy Ayers by one track! :D I should have known Virgo Vibes for #8... damn! Gotta go back and listen to that one again, clearly!

13 minutes ago, webbcity said:

Okay, as always... cutting it close and coming in just under the wire! I guess the only good thing about doing this late in the month is that I don't have to wait too long for the reveal! And likely many of these have already been ID'd. Haven't peeked yet but will do so after I post this. These are my notes as I listened...

Track 1 - Great groove, love it...a lost groove from another time, sounding even better in lo-fi. No guesses, but this is a total blast. 

It was on the radio around the time I first tuned in as a 10 year old, and grabbed me with it's magic right away.  And the  magic in this cut has never abated for me!

Track 2 - Right out of the gate I can tell this is gonna be a favorite. Gotta be a 70s or 80s vintage. I like the way the tenor player begins the solo with a reference to the head. Hmmm...nope, I'm wrong about the date, this is quickly sounding like something more recent than I thought. Honestly the tenor player sounds a hell of a lot like Nicole Glover but I don't think it could be her. Overall I like the track but it's actually a little too clean around the edges for me. Great playing from all, no doubt. Just would like for them to get their hands a little dirtier. :) 

More recent, though an older composition.  The vintage (yes, 21st century) and the players involved will explain the cleanliness!

Track 3 - Hearing a Dolphy influence right off the bat. I really like the sound of the group. Vibes solo is excellent...some really great development there. Aaaaannd, yes, if this altoist doesn't name Dolphy as a primary influence then there's something wrong with my ears. OK, I am REALLY digging the tenor solo. Yeah...I am down with this. Trombone and bari are bringing it as well. I'm gonna guess this is one of Jason Adascewicz's groups (and yes, I'm sure I spelled that wrong)? Not real familiar with him though. 

Much closer to home for our board than Adascewicz (not familiar with him), and the tenor player will be pleased with your comment (he'll read it).  Also, just to further mess with your head, there's no vibes player on the cut.

Track 4 - Definitely like what the pianist is setting up. Once the tune starts, it sounds very familiar actually... I feel like I've heard this. Sounds like a newer group but I hear an older Blue Note influence. The alto tone is delicate...beautiful solo. The guitarist is less interesting to me. I do like how each solo is a new experience with a different feel. I'm back on track with the piano solo. Love the rhythmic nature of the bass solo, great sound too. For a minute in there I thought it was gonna go in an Alex Blake direction but no.

My favorite bass solo of all time is Alex Blake on Charles Sullivan's "Genesis"!  Not Blake here.  The only "name" player is the alto - it's his album, and he's a heavyweight.

Track 5 - Well, I really like this! Took a minute for the vocal to grow on me, but this is a really fun track. Very 60s obviously. Groovy!

Yes, fun, groove late 60's track by a group fully capable of it (obviously) but who would never have been expected to go there.  I love the singer, always have.

Track 6 - Yep, within seconds I can tell this is right in my wheelhouse too. Great groove, interesting tune. Ah, is this 70s Blakey? I think I got an inside hint from you on this though? :D This is excellent! Right in the pocket... everything just feels good here. Really enjoyed the alto as well as the tenor solo. My guess is it must be Schnitter on tenor then? I particularly like the way his solo builds. I definitely need to get into more 70s Blakey. Have played a bit of Child's Dance recently and I love that one. Yep, you sold me on this, love it!

Yes, 70's Blakey/Messengers, and placed on the BFT for your specific benefit!  Yes, Schnitter.  The alto player wrote the song.

Track 7 - Oh yeah, love that quirky little head! Reminds me of a Booker Ervin record... Space Book I think? That's not a guess, it just reminds me of something on that record. But this grooves... and who is that pianist? Wow! Hang on. Pullen? Talk about one foot in tradition and one in the future, this is it right here. And this must have been the 70s, once again? Holy tenor player! So wait, if this is Pullen and Adams, it's gotta be Mingus? I need to know this record. Fantastic.

Yes, Pullen, Adams, Mingus, and you and others do need to know this record.  It has been severely overlooked/underrated through the years because of the fireworks which came from the next two records immediately afterwards.

Track 8 - No surprise that I am loving most everything here. Oh hey now! This is a Tolliver tune, yes? I'm blanking on the name though. So I love this vibes player but couldn't tell you who it is. That sure as heck sounds like Tolliver himself though on trumpet. LOVING the pianist's support throughtout, that's jumping out at me. Man! What a track! You are killing me with this. I should know this tenor player too. Wow. The piano solo is next level... really loving the way the vibes player supports in an almost ghost-like way at the beginning, and then the drummer kicking it big time towards the end. Everyone is on fire here and I wish I had more guesses... this one is really stumping me. Can't wait for the reveal though!

Tolliver tune, Tolliver on trumpet, world-class tenor player and pianist, interesting name on drums.  Be sure to grab this album!

Track 9 - Another nice groover. Can't sit still for this one. Hell yeah to the organist, great solo and the band is cookin right along. Digging that vibes solo too... inclined to guess Roy Ayers? But that's a shot in the dark. Rock solid groove, this is another keeper for me.

Not Ayers, but interesting that you would mention him on this track 🙂.

Track 10 - And yet another that's right up my alley. LOVING the vibe of this. Part of the head sounds very close to McCoy's Passion Dance. Very open and exploratory. Even if a little hesitant in spots. I'm hearing the search. Obviously this is a live recording... of a gig I wish I was at. I am repeating myself here, but I feel like I know/should be able to guess this band too. Wow this is great. I'm gonna go back and listen to this one some more, love it.

This does sound like a track where we should know the band, but they're utterly obscure.  No one has ID'd them, and no one is going to.  I love the track for the reasons you and others have pointed out.  Easy enough stylistically to guess which city it came from

Track 11 - So the tune is of course from Hair, and the vocalist is nailing it. Great energy, great groove. Winner winner!

Thanks, I love it, owned this album as a young teenager.  Vocalist and organ player both exceedingly well-known names, but I find they are musicians which people tend to heard of rather than heard.

Track 12 - Interesting... I like the piano intro but did not expect things to end up where they did. Hang on though, I know this groove. I know this tune. Dammit... I bet you I have this one and I can't place it. Sounds like a Black Jazz record maybe? Gotta love that Rhodes sound. Is there even a bass player on this or is it just the Rhodes player holding it down? It works! Well I guess I'm stumped on this too. Can't tell if it's one I actually know or it just "sounds like" something I know. Either way, I dig it!

You may own it, in this version or one other version.  There is a bass player (a really good one), but he's on electric bass, so that may account for what you are sensing.

As always, lots of winners here for me. You are speakin' my language! Thanks for another great BFT... cannot wait to find out who some of these are!

We always match up well on BFT's, glad you enjoyed it!

Update: Ah! Missed Roy Ayers by one track! :D I should have known Virgo Vibes for #8... damn! Gotta go back and listen to that one again, clearly!

Yes indeed, great album!