Martin Davidson (1942-2023)

clifford_thornton

Really, really bummed to share the news that the founder of Emanem Records, Martin Davidson, passed yesterday at age 81. 

He was a friend to and tireless chronicler/supporter of British creative improvised music and beyond. The Spontaneous Music Ensemble, Paul Rutherford, Derek Bailey, Anthony Braxton, Steve Lacy, Kent Carter, Bobby Bradford, John Carter, Duck Baker, Charlotte Hug, Sylvia Hallett, Fred Lonberg-Holm, John Butcher, Bernie McGann, and so many others had their music archived and released on Emanem. I suppose his passing was not totally unexpected as I know he'd been dealing with some health issues recently, but I always enjoyed communicating with him and am forever indebted to his great program of CDs and LPs.

RIP and thank you Martin.

An essential part of the UK, and beyond, scene.  So much music released to the world's ears.

I remember him regularly on the door at the Red Rose Cub and other gigs with an always tempting selection of CDs.

Also not forgetting the work he did distributing and retailing Evan Parker's Psi label 

Edited by mjazzg

• 2 weeks later...

Extremely sad to hear this. We are in debt to Mr Davidson for his unwavering commitment to documenting British free improvisation. I wonder what will happen with the Emanem (and psi) catalog now. Below is a note from the Emanem website. I wonder who the CD stock would be transferred to. There are not that many outlets who would be willing / able to distribute the stuff.   

This web site is no longer accepting new orders.

We are sorry to inform you that Martin passed away in early December 2023.

We are doing our best to contact anyone with outstanding orders and either post or refund them.

We hope to transfer the CD stock so it is available again, but this will take time to organise.

If you knew Martin, or the records and CDs he helped put out, please celebrate his life and love of music. He will be missed greatly.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this post - I can't believe it, first Tony Oxley & now Martin Davidson - I communicated with Martin over the years re UK jazz & his emanem (not the rap artist!!) releases. He even lived here in Australia for a few years in the 80s.

You'll be missed so much!!

RIP Martin

11 hours ago, romualdo said:

Just saw this post - I can't believe it, first Tony Oxley & now Martin Davidson - I communicated with Martin over the years re UK jazz & his emanem (not the rap artist!!) releases. He even lived here in Australia for a few years in the 80s.

You'll be missed so much!!

RIP Martin

Well, life expectancy in Australia has got to be very different if death of 80- and 85-year-old males is unbelievable and shocking. 

Meanwhile, Vortex in London is organizing a tribute concert: https://www.vortexjazz.co.uk/event/a-tribute-to-martin-davidson/