What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that Blue Lights disc a new one?

Yes, I got it from Mars yesterday at a Harrison Bankhead concert put on by Lazaro Vega. Thanks. I was aware of the group and have been waiting for something to come out. Edited by colinmce

That's a coincidence, I just stumbled upon that release this weekend looking for some Michael Zerang records (after being very impressed by the Sleepless in Chicago record by Mikolaj Trzaska). The line up for this album is definitely very strong, and I really liked the fact that the album is influenced by middle eastern songs, but I have to admit that after listening to the songs on the bandcamp page the whole thing left me a little bit underwhelmed. As for my personal taste, I would prefer the middle eastern influence to be much stronger. To me, this "just" sounded like very well played modern Jazz, but I didn't really feel that they caught the heart of what I would consider middle eastern music/culture (but then again, what do I know as a white European atheist from the Netherlands).

Edited by niels

Consummation

Thad Jones

CD 1 New York City Live

Warne Marsh

CD 1 Lord Lord Am I Ever Gonna Know

Lucky Thompson

CD 1 Ellington Is Forever 2

Burrell,Kenny

CD 1 Complete Live at the Black Hawk [import]

Shelly Manne

CD 1 Libra / Another Earth

Bartz,Gary

CD 1 Four

Hampton Hawes

CD 1 Poll Winners Ride Again

Shelly Manne

CD 1 Bags & Trane

Jackson,Milt / Coltrane,John

CD 1 Celebration: Live at the Jazz Bakery in LA

Sam Rivers

CD 1

From Importcds

Mathias Eick - Midwest [ECM]

because we all love ECM :smirk:

Pre-order? I haven't been able to find it currently in stock anywhere.

No, on its way from Amazon UK. I think we've got different Europe/US release dates. Often happens with ECM I think

61h%2B3q1fJnL._SS280.jpg

Steve Coleman and Five Elements - Weaving Symbolics

and

51d9EFuO5aL._SX450_.jpg

Steve Coleman and Five Elements - On The Rising Of The 64 Paths

filling out my Steve Coleman collection with a couple french imports that I finally found at decent prices. Just waiting for them to arrive now.

61h%2B3q1fJnL._SS280.jpg

and

51d9EFuO5aL._SX450_.jpg

filling out my Steve Coleman collection with a couple french imports that I finally found at decent prices. Just waiting for them to arrive now.

two treats in store there. 'Weaving Symbolics' has a variety of line-up sizes not seen elsewhere in his discography

61h%2B3q1fJnL._SS280.jpg

and

51d9EFuO5aL._SX450_.jpg

two treats in store there. 'Weaving Symbolics' has a variety of line-up sizes not seen elsewhere in his discography

I'm most excited about that one. It's been on my wishlist for 3 years and finally pulled the trigger. I think there are only 3-4 titles of his as leader I need now.

61h%2B3q1fJnL._SS280.jpg

and

51d9EFuO5aL._SX450_.jpg

I'm most excited about that one. It's been on my wishlist for 3 years and finally pulled the trigger. I think there are only 3-4 titles of his as leader I need now.

and I'm still waiting on Synovial Joints here....patience is running thin :smirk:

61h%2B3q1fJnL._SS280.jpg

and

51d9EFuO5aL._SX450_.jpg

and I'm still waiting on Synovial Joints here....patience is running thin :smirk:

Haha, just ordered this (the download from m-base isn't enough to feed my collector needs). Down to 3 titles now i think...

31q-mjm%2BDnL.jpg

Steve Coleman and Five Elements - The Ascension to Light

Edited by jcam_44

61h%2B3q1fJnL._SS280.jpg

and

51d9EFuO5aL._SX450_.jpg

Haha, just ordered this (the download from m-base isn't enough to feed my collector needs). Down to 3 titles now i think...

31q-mjm%2BDnL.jpg

Steve Coleman and Five Elements - The Ascension to Light

Now that's one I don't have. I'll be interested in your thoughts

Paid my second visit to Josey Records today (my first unaccompanied one) and purchased the following, all LPs.

• The Ramsey Lewis Trio + Jean DuShon - You Better Believe Me (Argo)
  • Sonny Rollins - Easy Living (Mainstream)
  • Chuck Wayne - Tapestry (Focus)
  • The Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra (Gerald Schwartz, cond.) - American Music For Strings (Nonesuch)
  • James Newton - Romance And Revolution (Blue Note)
  • Johnny Otis and his Orchestra and introducing Barbara Morrison - Back To Jazz (Jazz World/ALA)
  • Hungarian State Orchestra cond. Antal Dorati - Bela Bartok Orchestal Music ((Hungaroton)
  • Ivry Gitlis - Violin Concertos by Stravinsky & Hindemith (Turnabout)
  • Charlie Rouse - The Upper Manhattan Jazz Society (enja)
  • Pony Poindexter - Pony Poindexter (Inner City)
  • Ketty Lester - Ketty Lester (Records By Pete)
  • Satie - Erik Satie (Candide/Vox)
  • James Newton - Luella (Grammavision)
  • Boulez/Haubemstock-Ramati/Maderna - The New Music - Volume 2 (Victrola)
  • David Burge - Avant Garde Piano (Candide/Vox)
  • Sensational Nightingales - Glory, Glory (Peacock)
  • The Atilla Zoller Quartet - The Horizon Beyond (Emarcy)

All priced between $4-$12/ea. but the thing I'm looking forward to is going through the mile-long aisle of "$1-$2 Records", because that's how I got my start, and god forbid I should ever forget my roots.

Lotte Anker, Craig Taborn, Gerald Cleaver - Triptych [2005, Leo]

R-837384-1163876279.jpeg.jpg

Nobuyasu Furuya Trio (Nobuyasu Furuya, Gabriel Ferrandini, Hernani Faustino) - Bendowa [2009, Clean Feed]

R-1972867-1255972731.jpeg.jpg

Luis Vicente, Rodrigo Pinheiro, Hernani Faustino, Marco Franco - Clocks and Clouds [2014, FMR]

R-5676122-1399641270-8565.jpeg.jpg

Satoko Fujii Ma-Do - Heat Wave [2008, Not Two]

1439983417.jpg

Edited by niels

Went ahead and got that new-ish Ryan Truesdell Gil Evans Project live album...wanting to get high on that writing again, just in a little different way.

Anybody else picked up on this yet? Really hoping there's at least as much writing as soloing....