What music did you buy today?

tonym

238.jpg

Isn't there a better image of this set? Which, for those who can't read the tiny writing, is the new Mosaic box, "The complete Lionel Hampton Victor sessions 1937-1941".

Eight tracks into disc 1 now and does this stuff fuckin' well JUMP!!!!!

Sent on last Thursday, arrived this lunchtime. Wrapping Christmas presents all afternoon, so only just settled down to listen to it.

MG

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

B000KX0HNW.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:cool:

'Bout time someone else bought this.

:D

MG

How is it? (maybe I shouldn't ask :D )

Just noticed they have a gig coming up in London later this month.

Best bit of grease this year! And would stand comparison with almost any bit of grease made in the last fifty! GG Jr is developing a bit away from his father and it turns out he can sing quite well. I saw them in Brecon in 2000 and they were very good indeed (though swamped immediately after by Lonnie Smith/Ronnie Cuber/Peter Bernstein) and on the strength of this album (made in 2005 but took a long time to get it out) they've improved no end. I should go and see them if I were you.

In fact, I should probably go and see them if I were me. Where's the gig? When? How much?

MG

In fact, I should probably go and see them if I were me. Where's the gig? When? How much?

MG

MG - It's the 'Jazz Cafe' in Camden Town 13-14th Dec. Not my favourite venue and I probably won't be able to get into town but it sounds tempting. Their admission (standing) is usually around £20 I think.

Edited by sidewinder

MG

MG - It's the 'Jazz Cafe' in Camden Town 13-14th Dec. Not my favourite venue and I probably won't be able to get into town but it sounds tempting. Their admission (standing) is usually around £20 I think.

Twenty quid for Jazz Cafe! I don't MIND the venue, managed to get just behind Charles Earland's organ there, so I could see everything he was doing. But adding up the fare from South Wales, and a night in a hotel, I think I'll give it a miss.

MG

ceciliacoleman4.jpgHome - Cecilia Coleman Quintet

ceciliacoleman3.jpgHigher Standards- Cecilia Coleman Trio

ceciliacoleman2.jpgKismet & Camelot - Cecilia Coleman on piano with Tim Givens on bass/cello

These were part of CD Baby's $5.00 sale and have been simmering on the back burner of my wish list for some time. I decided to take advantage before they were taken off the sale list and I ended up regretting not getting them.

I'd never heard of Cecilia Coleman until I heard one of her numbers being played on "Live 365" internet radio. I loved it and had to invesitgate further because I wanted to hear more. A Google search lead me to her web site which in turn pointed me to CD Baby. That these were part of the $5.00 sale was an only added bonus which allowed me to check them out in full at a great price.

I've listened to the sound samples for each CD numerable times and find Cecilia Coleman to be a wonderful pianist with very solid support on all 3 CDs. Give the sound samples of Home a listen. There's a definite Horace Silver vibe and sound to her quintet. I found the trumpet and sax solos to be solid and interesting and really look forward to hearing this one in full. Kismet & Camelot sounds to me like it's going to be a nice Sunday morning or quiet evening type of CD. Find your way to the CD Baby site and give these CDs a listen!!

Edited by mikelz777

Curse these sales that keep popping up!! :angry:;) Jazz Loft is dumping its inventory of Gambit, Jazz Factory, Lonehill Jazz and Definitive CDs for 40%-50% off and of course, I couldn't resist picking up a few 2-CD sets. With all these CD buys lately I think I've pre-spent my Christmas money!

51RNRD9AT0L._AA240_.jpg51J3J6AXXCL._AA240_.jpg5148Z372YPL._AA240_.jpg

Edited by mikelz777

Nat King Cole - The Complete After Midnight Sessions (Essential Jazz Classics)

Coleman Hawkins - With The Red Garland Trio (Prestige)

Coleman Hawkins - Hawk Eyes! (OJC)

Nicki Parrott and Rossano Sportiello - People Will Say We're In Love (Arbors)

Frank Rosolino / Carl Fontana - Trombone Heaven (Uptown)

Thad Jones - New York-Detroit Junction (Blue Note)

Clark Terry -Serenade To A Bus Seat (Riverside)

Toots Thielemans - Columbia Jazz 1955-1978 (Columbia)

Various Artists - The Jazz Piano (Mosaic)

Nicki Parrott and Rossano Sportiello - People Will Say We're In Love (Arbors)

Please, report back on the new Sportiello when you listen to it. I really loved his debut album on Arbors!

I will do. I already have his two solo records on Arbors and Jazz Connaisseur and love them both. So I am looking forward to this new effort.

Edited by Tommy T

Grateful Dead:

--- Two From The Vault.

--- Terrapin Limited.

--- Fallout From the Phil Zone.

This last purchase completes my collect of all the official cds out there, except for the 10 cd Complete Fillmore West 1969, which I'm hoping someday will come down in price, or Rhino will re-release it next year. Now it's time to get serious on the concerts.