• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this order should have arrived today :beee:

Charles Mingus - Eastcoasting

Elmo Hope - Trio and Quintet

Sam Rivers - Fuchsia Swing Song

Andrew Hill - Andrew!!!

now it's there... East Coasting is great, at least just with regards to the contributions of Shafi Hadi and Clarence Shaw i might like it even much better than Tijuana Moods; Hope is great, too; will take another 50 listens to find out whether the Rivers and the Hill are masterpieces or great but overrated records :)

and I just "ran into" an AbraxasEsp sale where I got Albert Ayler's Prophecy and New York Eye and Ear Control and Charles Tyler's "Eastern Man Alone"

East Coasting is one of the most beautiful Mingus records, in my opinion. The presence of Bill Evans makes it really special. I hope you got the Avenue Jazz/Rhino version with an alternate or two? You should try and find that version of the "Modern Jazz Symposium" album - it has additional tracks, including some fantastic Shafi Hadi playing!

East Coasting is one of the most beautiful Mingus records, in my opinion. The presence of Bill Evans makes it really special. I hope you got the Avenue Jazz/Rhino version with an alternate or two? You should try and find that version of the "Modern Jazz Symposium" album - it has additional tracks, including some fantastic Shafi Hadi playing!

Had this one on hold and decided to pull the trigger based upon your recomendation. Put "Modern Jazz Symposium" on hold as well!

Thanks!

Had this one on hold and decided to pull the trigger based upon your recomendation. Put "Modern Jazz Symposium" on hold as well!

Thanks!

:tup

enjoy!

Postman's coming at odd times of the day, nowadays. Thought these weren't going to arrive. But here we are.

First, this year’s Christmas album

331092.jpg

Some really funky stuffing in here!

And the new(ish) Reuben Wilson

946802.jpg

I’ve been a bit dilatory about Savant albums this year. Tut! And there’s another new Wilson out on 9 January! Gonna be listening to a lot of Reuben Wilson next year!

Finally

789375.jpg

Just listening to this now. What a tenor player! Glad I caught up at length!

MG

Roman Holiday:

Cookin' On The Roof

Matthew, I think Cookin' on the Roof is one of the unsung masterpieces of the 80s. I guess Roman Holliday was ten years too early with the swing revival.

I completely agree with you on Cookin' on the Roof. I first bought it as a cassette tape and played it to death. Then got the lp, but my turntable died, so that ended that. I just recently found out it's out on cd -- Japanese import, of course. Love the album to death, and I'm really looking forward to getting this cd and playing it loud! :party:

-The birth of the third stream (originally Music for Brass / Modern Jazz Concert) (Columbia)

-Gil Evans - Bud and Bird (Electric Bird)

-Clifford Jordan - Cliff Craft (Blue Note)

-Pony Poindexter - Plays the big ones/Gumbo! (Beat Goes Public)

-John Coltrane - Trane tracks DVD

Edited by EKE BBB