What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41H0KD4T01L._AA240_.jpg

The Best Of Chet Baker Sings: This was a nice find at a Half Price Books store.

41AWK7TC5KL._AA240_.jpg

Anouar Brahem-Le Pas Du Chant Noir: This one popped up randomly as a suggestion on Amazon based on my past browsing/purchase history. It had unusual instrumentation (aud, piano and accordian) and I listened to the samples and really enjoyed them. I'm looking forward to hearing this CD in full.

41YX0ejjJeL._AA240_.jpg

Tord Gustavsen Trio-Being There: I enjoyed the first two Tord Gustavsen Trio's CDs and have little doubt I'll enjoy the third of the trilogy. I love the drummer's contributions on snare and high hat.

Edited by mikelz777

Well, two orders turned up this morning.

From Dusty Groove a couple of LPs

Paul Bryant – Burnin’ – Pacific Jazz mono (sorry, no pic on the web)

I’m quite pissed off with myself at buying this, because I already had a copy! But it had no sleeve, so it didn’t get out much. I expect, now I’ve got a sleeve, it’ll get much more frequent airings (yes, I’m consoling myself).

funky.jpeg

Howard Roberts - Color him funky - Capitol orig mono

This was a real bargain at da barstids, and as it has Paul Bryant on organ, I snapped it up. It’s the only album I’ve ever bought by Roberts. Quite probably I shan’t feel the need to buy another. But now I have everything Bryant ever recorded!

And a CD

mcgrif_jimm_mainsquee_101b.jpg

I had this before, but I’m pleased to have upgraded to a CD. It’s probably my favourite GM McGriff (and nearly my favourite McGriff of all) – with Conrad Lester on alto, what else would I be saying?

And from Amazon.com

51TCWT0FVXL._SS500_.jpg

Now this is really interesting. I’m about three quarters through disc 1. This is VERY restrained jump music which sounds to me like it might have been a big influence on the early R&B jump band leaders like Jordan, Liggins and Milton (but they weren’t restrained).

Very enjoyable!

MG

And from Amazon.com

51TCWT0FVXL._SS500_.jpg

Now this is really interesting. I’m about three quarters through disc 1. This is VERY restrained jump music which sounds to me like it might have been a big influence on the early R&B jump band leaders like Jordan, Liggins and Milton (but they weren’t restrained).

Very enjoyable!

MG

An interesting observation. I agree. The recordings that Stuff Smith was doing with Jonah Jones at the time are less restrained, and sound even more like proto-Louis Jordan.

And from Amazon.com

51TCWT0FVXL._SS500_.jpg

Very enjoyable!

MG

An interesting observation. I agree. The recordings that Stuff Smith was doing with Jonah Jones at the time are less restrained, and sound even more like proto-Louis Jordan.

Thanks for that tip, John.

MG

Two grandsons overrunning us for the last couple of days! So yesterday, along came

21CWBY3WVEL._AA130_.jpg

Etta Jones – My mother’s eyes. This was reissued by Savoy Jazz a few years ago. Great to have this, as my LP was bought exceptionally 2nd hand!

41PWEXRZDJL._SS500_.jpg

King Britt – When the funk hits the fan

Someone posted that they were playing this a few days ago. Can’t remember who it was, but thank you whoever!

This is music.

This is good music!

This is good music that is consistently interesting.

Well, it’s a decade old, so it doesn’t tell you where we are, but it certainly tells you where we’ve been recently.

And today, this one turned up

5128J09LGxL._SS500_.jpg

Harlem Art Ensemble – Live in New York – Explore EXP0027 – Harold Ousley, Lonnie Smith, Jimmy Ponder and Bruno Carr. This is as good as you’d expect it to be, plus a little bit more.

It came out three weeks ago, apparently for the first time. It was recorded live in August 1990, produced by Teruo Nakamura, probably for the Japanese Cheetah label – Lonie guested on some albums produced and led by him in the late seventies. But according to Doug Payne’s Lonnie Smith discography, this is the first release of this material – it sez that on the sleeve, too, but you know what they say...

(The Harlem Art Ensemble made another album, for the Japanese label Ninety-nine, in May 1992, with Teruo Goto instead of Harold Ousley, and Harry Whitaker on synths. I haven’t got that one.)

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

Postman was a bit late today, but brought me two CDs from Hiroshi.

kynard_char_charlesky_101b.jpg

Charles Kynard

willia_char_charleswi_101b.jpg

Charles Williams

I forgot to order these when they came out a couple of months ago!

MG

Hey MG,

how much were these? I've never ordered from Hiroshi.

These aren't cheap releases - they were 5460 yen for the pair including post. On Paypal's currency conversion, that was £25.46, which is not much more than you'd pay in the shops here for one Japanese CD. I reckon he's a good deal for British customers where pretty well everywhere sells Japanese CDs for the same price. Perhaps in the US there are better deals available than over here - I should think so.

I see Dusty Groove have these at $24.99 each, plus post, which isn't a lot more expensive than Hiroshi - when they can get 'em; they're out of stock at present.

MG

And today, this one turned up

5128J09LGxL._SS500_.jpg

Harlem Art Ensemble – Live in New York – Explore EXP0027 – Harold Ousley, Lonnie Smith, Jimmy Ponder and Bruno Carr. This is as good as you’d expect it to be, plus a little bit more.

It came out three weeks ago, apparently for the first time. It was recorded live in August 1990, produced by Teruo Nakamura, probably for the Japanese Cheetah label – Lonie guested on some albums produced and led by him in the late seventies. But according to Doug Payne’s Lonnie Smith discography, this is the first release of this material – it sez that on the sleeve, too, but you know what they say...

(The Harlem Art Ensemble made another album, for the Japanese label Ninety-nine, in May 1992, with Teruo Goto instead of Harold Ousley, and Harry Whitaker on synths. I haven’t got that one.)

MG

Happened to stumble over this today and couldn't resist.

This label makes nice reissues, ordered a Hummel pianoforte disc by Malcolm Binns along with it.

And bought an Estrado Brothers CD on ebay.

So much for my buying hiatus to save money for our new car .....

Not much in the way of images on the web for today’s haul

griffin.jpg

Eddie “Lockjaw” Davis & Johnny Griffin – Tough tenors back again – Storyville

Thanks Shawn!

It turned up just before I left for a sweltering shopping trip to Pontypridd, so I listened to it on the way. Wow! Even hotter than the bus!

In Ponty, my man Terry had this for me

DOCD-5484.jpg

The complete recorded works of Rev J M Gates vol 9 1934-1941

This completes my set of all Gates’ work, which I started buying in February 2006!

MG

some stuff on sale (bought in the past 2-3 weeks):

- Oliver Nelson: second helping of Blues & Abstract Truth

- Sonny Rollins: Alfie

- Peggy Lee: Black Coffee (marvellous!)

- Mariano/Hübner2/Beirach: Beauty (Intuition)

- Art Blakey: Indestructible (RVG - finally found a non-CC version)

- Jenny Scheinman: 12 Songs (Cryptogrammophone)

- Matthias Kielholz: Sunny Strings (Brambus)

- Teddy Edwards: Nothin' but the Truth (OJC/Prestige - from amazon marketplace)

- Trotignon/El-Malek Quartet (naïve)

- Joe Turner: 1907-1990 Giant of Stride Piano in Switzerland (Jazz Connoisseur)

and a few more that I can't remember right now...

- Tony Kofi: Future Passed (on a Proper sub)

- McCoy Mrubata: Face the Music (Sheer)

Edited by king ubu

Went on a bit of an OJC orgy at Newbury Comics in Harvard Square. Hard to resist their prices: mostly $3.99 and not a one of these over $7.99!

Joe Albany with Warne Marsh - The Right Combination

The Gene Ammons Story - Organ Combos

Junie C. Cobb and His New Hometown Band

Sonny Criss - Up, Up and Away

Earl "Fatha" Hines and His Band - A Monday Date

Bennie Green Blows His Horn

Johnny Griffin with Strings and Brass - White Gardenia

Coleman Hawkins All Stars Featuring Joe Thomas and Vic Dickenson

Lonnie Johnson with Victoria Spivey - Idle Hands

Clifford Jordan Quartet - Bearcat

Elliot Lawrence Band Plays Gerry Mulligan Arrangements

Blue Mitchell - A Sure Thing