What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had a Virgin voucher for my brthday, so finally got around to going in to buy a record. Good grief! Virgin is now called Zavvi - the rumour is that Branson flogged the firm because he knew it was going down the tube and wanted it to go down under someone else's flag so much that he chucked in fifty million quid's worth of training as an enticer. Nick, at Spillers told me several weeks ago that I'd have difficulty spending the voucher. I did. There was literally only one album in the blues, jazz and world music sections to get. This one.

78_OrchestraBaobabMadeinDakar.jpg

It's OK - it's a recent set re-recording a lot of numbers of which I already have Baobab's original versions. I've got to say, the new performances aren't as good as the originals but, hell, the band's been together for well nigh forty years, with few personnel changes, and I'm not going to say that it's wrong for them to get paid by an English record company for remaking their old stuff that appeared on Senegalese labels. Nor am I going to refuse to support the effort and deny the guys their probably small royalties.

Though, probably, I could have gone into the Urban section and picked up a Jill Scott :)

MG

Guest Bill Barton

Curse these sales that keep popping up!! :angry:;) Jazz Loft is dumping its inventory of Gambit, Jazz Factory, Lonehill Jazz and Definitive CDs for 40%-50% off and of course, I couldn't resist picking up a few 2-CD sets. With all these CD buys lately I think I've pre-spent my Christmas money!

51RNRD9AT0L._AA240_.jpg51J3J6AXXCL._AA240_.jpg5148Z372YPL._AA240_.jpg

Indeed, I might as well give Alan Lawrence the password to my PayPal account...

The Ornette complete Hillcrest sessions and the Rahsaan Third Dimension aka Triple Threat plus Introducing are my latest acquisitions. This is a helluva sale, by the way, a ton of good-to-great material at very reasonable prices.

Ordered this morning:

Don Lanphere/Fats Navarro/Leo Parker/Al Haig: Prestige First Sessions Volume 1

You won't regret it, Paul!

The Don Lanphere sides are very interesting, and Leo Parker's "Mona Lisa" is worth the price of the disc itself. Needless to say anything on the Haig and the Navarro sides, obviously.

Ordered this morning:

Don Lanphere/Fats Navarro/Leo Parker/Al Haig: Prestige First Sessions Volume 1

You won't regret it, Paul!

The Don Lanphere sides are very interesting, and Leo Parker's "Mona Lisa" is worth the price of the disc itself. Needless to say anything on the Haig and the Navarro sides, obviously.

Yeah - I let this go for so long - first as a LP 2-fer, then as a CD - I figured I'd better go for it before it disappeared. Looking forward to listening to it.

Finally scored this rare LP on ebay:

6937_1.JPG

Been looking for this for several years now - there was a "buy it now" copy but at too high a price for the condition it was in, and now there were two copies offered - I had one competitor while bidding, and he outbid me on on the first copy, and I had the suspicion he wanted the second as well (?) but backed out at $ 41.00 - the next to last gap in my Don Patterson collection closed!

Now cross your fingers for me that it arrives in time for Xmas!

6937_1.JPG

Been looking for this for several years now - there was a "buy it now" copy but at too high a price for the condition it was in, and now there were two copies offered - I had one competitor while bidding, and he outbid me on on the first copy, and I had the suspicion he wanted the second as well (?) but backed out at $ 41.00 - the next to last gap in my Don Patterson collection closed!

Nice!

6937_1.JPG

Nice!

That's expensive - but well done Mike.

MG

Nicki Parrott and Rossano Sportiello - People Will Say We're In Love (Arbors)

Please, report back on the new Sportiello when you listen to it. I really loved his debut album on Arbors!

I will do. I already have his two solo records on Arbors and Jazz Connaisseur and love them both. So I am looking forward to this new effort.

This is a wonderful album. Sportiello is splendid, covering stride, swing (Teddy Wilson, Count Basie, hints of Art Tatum) and be bop (Red Garland, Barry Harris, his teacher and mentor), he has a beautiful touch and swings effortlessly. Nicki Parrot's bass playing is a revelation: She has a big round tone and superb timing. Nicki also sings on a few tracks. She is an above average, if not exceptional singer, reminding me a bit of Stacey Kent. If you love Sportiello's solo album on Arbors you may also want to have this one.

Nicki Parrott and Rossano Sportiello - People Will Say We're In Love (Arbors)

Please, report back on the new Sportiello when you listen to it. I really loved his debut album on Arbors!

I will do. I already have his two solo records on Arbors and Jazz Connaisseur and love them both. So I am looking forward to this new effort.

This is a wonderful album. Sportiello is splendid, covering stride, swing (Teddy Wilson, Count Basie, hints of Art Tatum) and be bop (Red Garland, Barry Harris, his teacher and mentor), he has a beautiful touch and swings effortlessly. Nicki Parrot's bass playing is a revelation: She has a big round tone and superb timing. Nicki also sings on a few tracks. She is an above average, if not exceptional singer, reminding me a bit of Stacey Kent. If you love Sportiello's solo album on Arbors you may also want to have this one.

Thanks for this review, Tommy T. I'll put this one on my wish list for Christmas!

t_19187.jpg

I didn't know this one featured Stanley Turrentine until Dan Gould let me know. Wow! What a session! And LIVE and shoutin! And that was just me :)

Wham, bam, thank you Dan! (Bet all the girls tell you that :D)

I'd been meaning to explore some of Chris Albertson's productions for Riverside in the early sixties, so, with some gracious advice from Chris, I got these:

543002.jpg

416KE8EQVJL._SS500_.jpg

4198TG625GL._SS500_.jpg

41QQHYRTTEL._SS500_.jpg

I'm really very pleased with them all. They weren't all unknown quantities for me, as I've got some Jim Robinson with George Lewis. But they're four beautiful albums. And that Elmer Snowden! Phew, his solo on "Deep river" took my breath away! Thanks so much Chris!

A great haul to get just before Christmas!

MG

Wisdom dictates that one should never say never. In following, I never should have said that my last order was going to be the last order of the year. Against all common sense and better judgement, I've succumbed to the lure of the Concord sale yet again to pick up some stuff I figured I shouldn't miss. After careful consideration and a thorough review of their sale offerings, I purchased the following:

Oddly enough, 3 Juniors. Junior Mance - Junior's Blues, Junior Mance - Happy Time, Junior Cook - Junior's Cookin

61cPpbRPBTL._AA240_.jpg41Ajf4AU+zL._AA240_.jpg41DF98SD2CL._AA240_.jpg

Art Farmer - When Farmer Met Gryce, Gigi Gryce - The Rat Race Blues, Ray Bryant - All Blues

51lNYsglU3L._AA240_.jpg41GVS96ZSRL._AA240_.jpg21ZGVJQFC4L._AA130_.jpg

Clifford Jordan - Bearcat, Charles McPherson - Bebop Revisited, Frank Foster - Fearless Frank Foster

21GDu1kM98L._AA130_.jpg21TWVPN4WYL._AA130_.jpg2158Y159GNL._AA130_.jpg

And last but not least, Roy Haynes with Booker Ervin - Cracklin'

210GTAETC3L._AA131_.jpg

Edited by mikelz777

Nice haul from Reckless Records (Milwaukee location) when I was in Chicago over the weekend, all used and nothing over $9.99:

Roland Kirk-The Inflated Tear-Rhino/Atlantic Deluxe Edition

Andrew Hill-Pax-BN Conn

Howard McGhee-Dusty Blue-Bethlehen/WEA Avenue Jazz

Gary Burton/Sonny Rollins/Clark Terry-3 In Jazz-RCA

Booker Ervin-That's It!-Candid

Jaki Byard-Blues for Smoke-Candid

William Parker/In Order to Survive-Compassion Seizes Bed-Stuy-Homestead Records

Anthony Braxton & Gino Robair-Duets 1987-Music and Arts

Edited by Holy Ghost

in the mail today another fine OJC

Wilbur Ware - The Chicago Sound

and side products of yesterdays chritmas shopping from various brief looks into cut out bins and the like, everything rather cheap but nothing i'd have bought otherwise

Walt Weiskopf - Man of Many Colors

Ran Blake' Horace Silver tribute album

Klezmatics - Rhythm 'n' Jews