What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found a couple of interesting titles at that big box store that starts with a "W" today:

Jackson Browne - Running On Empty cd + dvda

Steely Dan - Everything Must Go cd + dvd

Bob Dylan - MTV Unplugged

Each of these were $5! I think they're remaindered or something, which is odd to find in a big retailer.

I ordered some things from Amazon resellers that arrived today:

Newbury:

The Traveling Wilburys box

Import CDs:

When The Levee Breaks: Mississippi Blues rare cuts 1926-1941 (JSP)

The Paramount Masters (4 cd's - JSP)

Bonnie Raitt - Green Light

Public Image Ltd. - Paris au Printemps

Various Artists: Hot Jazz On Blue Note (Blue Note, 4cd box)

Lu Watters: The Complete Good Time Jazz Recordings (Good Time Jazz, 4cd box)

Frank Rosolino/Conte Candoli: Conversations - The Complete Quintet Recordings (Gambit)

Franco D'Andrea/Renato Sellani: L'Avventura Dell'Incontro (Philology)

Resonance Big Band feat. Marian Petrescu: Plays Tribute To Oscar Peterson (Resonance)

You Heard It Here First! (Ace)---26 classics from the 50's and 60's heard here in their original, pre-hit versions.

A great idea, and someone could easily fill 3 or 4 (or more) CD's with original versions of hit songs. I didn't know that "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley & the Comets was the SECOND version of that song. The first was by Sunny Dae & the Knights.

I just dropped way too much on a 9-CD collection from the Swedish Metronome label. It's called, Jazz in Sweden, 1949-1961, The Legendary Years, a Rhino Japanese-only release. For a fan of Nordic jazz, it's a genuine treasure trove. Among others it includes artists like Ake Persson, Harry Arnold, Rolf Ericson, Gunnar Johnson, Georg Riedel, Jan Johansson, Arne Domnerus and two full CD's of the great Lars Gullin. In addition to the "locals", there are generous appearances from visiting Americans the likes of Stan Getz, Benny Bailey, Roy Eldridge, James Moody, Freddie Redd, Jimmy Raney, Tommy Flanagan, Quincy Jones, Ernestine Anderson, Teddy Wilson, Zoot Sims and last, but not least, Clifford Brown.

The packaging is first rate, as nice as I've seen. A hard shell case with a beautiful booklet. Only problem is it's mostly in Japanese, but this is a minor negative considering the overall quality of he music and the presentation. I couldn't be happier. An easy 9 out of 10.

Up over and out.

Fabulous !

I just dropped way too much on a 9-CD collection from the Swedish Metronome label. It's called, Jazz in Sweden, 1949-1961, The Legendary Years, a Rhino Japanese-only release. For a fan of Nordic jazz, it's a genuine treasure trove. Among others it includes artists like Ake Persson, Harry Arnold, Rolf Ericson, Gunnar Johnson, Georg Riedel, Jan Johansson, Arne Domnerus and two full CD's of the great Lars Gullin. In addition to the "locals", there are generous appearances from visiting Americans the likes of Stan Getz, Benny Bailey, Roy Eldridge, James Moody, Freddie Redd, Jimmy Raney, Tommy Flanagan, Quincy Jones, Ernestine Anderson, Teddy Wilson, Zoot Sims and last, but not least, Clifford Brown.

The packaging is first rate, as nice as I've seen. A hard shell case with a beautiful booklet. Only problem is it's mostly in Japanese, but this is a minor negative considering the overall quality of he music and the presentation. I couldn't be happier. An easy 9 out of 10.

Up over and out.

vinyl:

Charles Lloyd Quartet - Dream Weaver (Atlantic ,Blue / Green Label)

Charles Lloyd Quartet - Love-In (Atlantic, Blue / Green Label)

Charles Lloyd Quartet - Of Course, Of Course (Columbia Mono)

Archie Shepp / Horace Parlan - Trouble In Mind (Steeplechase)

Art Ensemble Of Chicago - AACM Great Black Music Message To Our Folks (Actuel)

Archie Shepp - Yasmina, A Black Woman (Actuel)

CD -

Pharoah Sanders - Karma (Impulse!)