What music did you buy today?

tonym

I like the first 2 Deodatos. Got them on an Australian twofer. Very influential stuff - course, you may not like the results of that influence...

MG

:D ok, Prelude is now getting its second chance (more accurately, the first three minutes get a second chance, the rest gets a first chance)... just hate it when i leave a shop having bought something just because it was cheap, thinking for just 1 or 2 pounds more you could have gotten something you really wanted... (say, Andrew Hill's Judgement) but then, three pounds total for the three albums (two of them influential) can't really be a bad deal...

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New:

Charles Gayle-Touchin' On Trane-FMP

Used Bin Bonanza:

Sun Ra-Out There a Minute-Restless/Blast First

John Coltrane-Transistion-Impulse!

Assif Tsahar Trio-Shekhina

Frank Wright-The Complete ESP Disk Recordings-ESP Disk

Books:

The Blue Note Jazz Photography of Francis Wolff-Universe-on sale at Half Price for $9.98 (list $29.98)

I finally got VISA and I decided to buy *some* cds :)

i feel my first credit card is coming nearer as well, always avioded one for reasons of (lack of) self-control...

while in britain i bought much more diverse stuff than i usually buy, guess because there was a half-decent brick and mortar store (Fopp) and buying there always leads to other results, and there was this nice sale of whatmusic albums at 4 pounds...

23 pounds well spent on

Jacques & Micheline Pelzer - Song for Rene

Open Sky Unit - Open Sky Unit

Vitor Assis Brasil - Tajeto (the winner of the bunch so far)

The very best of Ethiopiques (2CD)

Beth Orton - Central Reservation (first cd of pop music i bought in quite some time; i used to really like "Stars all seem to weep", smoother than i had remembered but some nice songs)

7 pounds i should maybe have avoided

Deodato - Prelude

Deodato 2

Deodato/Airto in Concert (haven't listen to most of the three so far)

Paulo Moura Hepteto - Fibra

Very profitable shopping, Niko. Fopp has always been excellent for bargains. It's the only UK store where I've ever bought a CD for as little as £3. (It was Lennie Tristano and Warne Marsh, Intuition on Spanish Blue Note.) And, of course, at the moment as a Euroland shopper, you have a huge advantage when buying items priced in the sliding pound or dollar. :)

Ordered several discs from EMI's "Americans Swinging in Paris" series, which I only just noticed is OOP by now, from various marketplace sellers on French and German amazon:

Kenny Clarke

Lucky Thompson

both Bill Colemans (hopefully the sellers have logged them correctly and I don't end up with two of the same...)

Zoot

Byas

Sammy Price

Phil Woods

Slide Hampton

Lionel Hampton

Decided to skip the Memphis Slim, Golden Gate Quartet, Earl Hines, Wild Bill Davis and Mezzrow. The Cat Anderson is gone, and the other four (Art Ensemble, Dicky Wells, Benny Carter & James Moody) I already have.

Weird little series, not nearly as good as it could have been... (short discs, weird compilations, including sessions included on too many similar compilations already)

Very profitable shopping, Niko. Fopp has always been excellent for bargains. It's the only UK store where I've ever bought a CD for as little as £3. (It was Lennie Tristano and Warne Marsh, Intuition on Spanish Blue Note.) And, of course, at the moment as a Euroland shopper, you have a huge advantage when buying items priced in the sliding pound or dollar. :)

Fopp's closed now - no doubt flogging cheap stuff to Niko :)

MG

MG

Which Fopp - Cardiff? Manchester's was re-opened by HMV (but retaining Fopp's name) and from what Niko says it sounds as if Cambridge's is OK too. :tup

MG

Which Fopp - Cardiff? Manchester's was re-opened by HMV (but retaining Fopp's name) and from what Niko says it sounds as if Cambridge's is OK too. :tup

Ah, interesting. I heard that the whole chain closed. Some sites might have been bought up by other firms, of course. Cardiff definitely hasn't been reopened - not that it was worth a wank anyway.

MG

MG

Ah, interesting. I heard that the whole chain closed. Some sites might have been bought up by other firms, of course. Cardiff definitely hasn't been reopened - not that it was worth a wank anyway.

MG

IIRC HMV reopened about eight of the eighty or so stores in the former Fopp chain. These were the still profitable ones and tended to be in places like London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, etc. Perhaps Cambridge fell in the profitable category because of all those students!

MG

MG

IIRC HMV reopened about eight of the eighty or so stores in the former Fopp chain. These were the still profitable ones and tended to be in places like London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, etc. Perhaps Cambridge fell in the profitable category because of all those students!

Oh well, the Fopp's branch in Cardiff was only 70/80 yards from the HMV shop, so reopening it wouldn't have made any kind of sense for HMV, which had recently doubled its floorspace.

MG

Two wonderful collections from Document Records:

My Babe - Document Shortcuts

DOSCD-9003.jpg

Mighty Day - 25 Gospel Greats

DOCD-32-20-11.jpg

And some Andrew Hill:

Grass Roots

28755.jpg

Dance With Death

418IKmjlUDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Compulsion

51jzRIAsCYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

And the organ maestros:

Great Jazz Organ

51-gPU1G7kL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

And this unknown classic on vinyl:

Hal Singer & Jef Gilson - Soul Of Africa

511ig4sBszL._AA280_.jpg

Damien Jurado - Rehearsals For Departure

d412742ugqh.jpg

M. Ward - End Of Amnesia

e869540oqpf.jpg

Much great listening ahead!

Edited by jostber

511ig4sBszL._AA280_.jpg

Pooh gosh, that IS obscure! Is it available on the Continent?

MG

I've seen it in two local stores this week - should I run and grab it? What is it? (I know Hal Singer's OJC, nothing else... never heard of Gilson)

511ig4sBszL._AA280_.jpg

MG

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=dj2...p;ref=index.php

Thanks. Never thought someone would come up with it. But, seeing this, I've now found a cheaper one on Amazon.fr.

MG

found a goldmine of used and new (shrink-wrapped) Chronological Classics at a used store... ouch ouch ouch... about four metres of discs!

took the plunge for most of the late 30s Ellingtons I still missed (one they didn't have, "1940"), the second part of the Basies (again I still miss one, "1941"), and then ten or eleven Satchmos (1929-1946, I had 1930-31 already), covering the RCA and Deccas following the Hot Fives, two Chick Webbs, the Buster Bailey, the Jabbo Smith, the first Stuff Smith, the first Dizzy Gillespie, two Andy Kirk's (had one, I think that makes for the three earliest ones), and a couple of others.

found a goldmine of used and new (shrink-wrapped) Chronological Classics at a used store... ouch ouch ouch... about four metres of discs!

took the plunge for most of the late 30s Ellingtons I still missed (one they didn't have, "1940"), the second part of the Basies (again I still miss one, "1941"), and then ten or eleven Satchmos (1929-1946, I had 1930-31 already), covering the RCA and Deccas following the Hot Fives, two Chick Webbs, the Buster Bailey, the Jabbo Smith, the first Stuff Smith, the first Dizzy Gillespie, two Andy Kirk's (had one, I think that makes for the three earliest ones), and a couple of others.

Is this used store in Zurich? If so, would you mind to disclose the name and location of this store? Thanks.

Is this used store in Zurich? If so, would you mind to disclose the name and location of this store? Thanks.

He he, should I? :ph34r:

As I won't be able to buy all I want anyway, yes of course! It's Silverdisc (Limmatstrasse, Tramhaltestelle Dammweg, eins vor Escher-Wyss-Platz). Most of the discs are not displayed but the guy there let me check them myself in their backoffice. Cost is 14 CHF per disc - not that cheap, but good enough, considering they're new or almost new (one had some writing in the CD list inside the booklet, though... doesn't bother me too much, but if it bothers you you might want to check thoroughly.

The earlier 6 Basie discs are by the way still available from Abeillemusique for 25 euro... just sent in an order there, myself, though I have all of that music already on various CDs and CDRs... now I miss said 1941 volume plus the Neatworks.

Just in case: what I remember is: large chunks of Ellington, Calloway, Krupa, Fats Waller, Teddy Wilson (I think I'll rather go for the Heps there, if I ever get them all... I have the Billie Holiday box, so I have many of those sides already). It's pure overkill, but you're bound to find some great stuff there, I'm sure! And make sure you also check the displayed discs, some Classics are in there, they just stock up whenever some other discs are sold and the have more space in their display shelves.

511ig4sBszL._AA280_.jpg

MG

Fopp in Cambridge has it for 12 pounds... should have gotten it but now i'm back home... (btw, reading record store recommendations on the web for cambridge i got the impression that the fopp there can't be that old (meanging it probably didn't coexist with all the shops recommended on the web which are gone by now ....) it was a lively place, lots of possibly fine stuff there in the 2-5 pound range....

Teddy Wilson (I think I'll rather go for the Heps there, if I ever get them all... I have the Billie Holiday box, so I have many of those sides already).

Someone reported in a thread I can't remember that the Hep site was down. I was planning on going for the Teddy Wilsons.

MG

I read that, too - seems it's up again: http://www.hepjazz.com/