What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this used today:

Good one, with Tony Scott!

Yes, I'm enjoying this one quite a bit! Is that Tony Scott? Maybe playing under a different name? The name on the back says A.J. Sciacca.

Tony Scott, born Anthony Sciacca.

Thanks for clearing that up! I had no idea. Upon first listen, I was saying man this cat has a way with the clarinet...now I know why!

Guru Guru - UFO (limited vinyl reissue in tasty gatefold of this quality Krautrock unit)

Einsturzende Neubauten - Perpatuum Mobile (double LP 2004 studio album from the pipe banging noiseniks I've grown to love from the b-sides and klive takes LP I found accidentaly a few months back)

C-Clamp EP (a one sided/etched 12" featuring this interesting post rock outfit, aparently limited to 400 copies and only cost £3. Seen a copy selling on a site somewhere for £26 so not bad find really.)

Found this used today:

Yes, I'm enjoying this one quite a bit! Is that Tony Scott? Maybe playing under a different name? The name on the back says A.J. Sciacca.

Thanks for clearing that up! I had no idea. Upon first listen, I was saying man this cat has a way with the clarinet...now I know why!

Sorry for the confusion and not following up myself! Scott appeared as Sciacca on some early recordings, also on the "Modern Jazz Society" album on Verve (on CD in the VEE series - great one, but much OOP I'm afraid).

Found this used today:

Sorry for the confusion and not following up myself! Scott appeared as Sciacca on some early recordings, also on the "Modern Jazz Society" album on Verve (on CD in the VEE series - great one, but much OOP I'm afraid).

No prob King Ubu. By some stroke of luck, some guy sold a bunch of VEE's at my local used cd shop and one of those (of which I bought virtually all but two of them) was the Modern Jazz Society disk, which I got for $7! I really like this album a lot and like the Hinton, had no idea that was Scott!!

The Quota: Jimmy Heath. This completes my JH on Riverside as a leader. I'll get to see Jimmy in March at St Louis' Jazz At The Bistro-listed in USA Today as one of the Ten Best listening rooms in the country. I'm hoping to get his autograph as he has been a long time favorite.

Peace,

Blue Trane

PS This is a solid four stars all the way, IMO.

Found this used today:

No prob King Ubu. By some stroke of luck, some guy sold a bunch of VEE's at my local used cd shop and one of those (of which I bought virtually all but two of them) was the Modern Jazz Society disk, which I got for $7! I really like this album a lot and like the Hinton, had no idea that was Scott!!

Glad to hear that! I love it a lot, and for 7$ it's just a plain steal (any VEE is a steal at that prize!)

Found this used today:

Glad to hear that! I love it a lot, and for 7$ it's just a plain steal (any VEE is a steal at that prize!)

You should've seen my face in the store. There was like 5 or 6 VEE's on the shelves and I think I yelled out no way! in the store. Along with the Modern Jazz Society, which is an excellent album, I picked up the Blakey, Bellson, Brown, Farmer (Listen to...) among others! I was tripping!

Saw a good deal on Arnett Cobb's More Party Time on ebay, so I jumped on that. This is after finding Party Time for $9 at a local store maybe 6 weeks ago (not a great deal back in the day, but it appears that both of these were among the deleted OJCs, so that does make it a pretty good deal). Anyway, I am enjoying Party Time and am looking to party on! :D

Found this used today:

You should've seen my face in the store. There was like 5 or 6 VEE's on the shelves and I think I yelled out no way! in the store. Along with the Modern Jazz Society, which is an excellent album, I picked up the Blakey, Bellson, Brown, Farmer (Listen to...) among others! I was tripping!

quite a haul! The Brown is great, so is the Farmer (but just in case, it's also in the Jazztet Mosaic), the Bellson and Baleky are good as well - the Blakey of course mainly being the Joe Gordon album!

I bought the Quincy Jones Mosaic today, at a local store, for an ok prize (about as much as the Mosaic prize or a bit less, but no shipping and taxes!), and also ordered the Woody Herman Select yesterday, which French Amazon has for a great prize right now:

Woody Herman Select @ Amazon.fr (via Org-link)

edit:

direct link to the Herman (I assume this still gives a share to Org?)

http://www.amazon.fr/Mosaic-Select-Vol-31-...5727&sr=8-1

Edited by king ubu

After some poking around and sampling, just pushed the button on these three:

51OUalE23dL._AA240_.jpg

41F7JJGBVJL._AA240_.jpg

21xC3RapMkL._AA130_.jpg

The Quadromania was a super good deal. New copy, four CD set for $8.10 at amazon marketplace. So ... these will be my first taste of each of these players.

The packaging on those Quadromania sets is abominable. Bet you have to throw the box away 'cos all the little prongs are bust.

Red Nichols' playing on this sounds much better than Danny Kaye's :D

MG

Wolfgang Muthspiel & Brian Blade: Friendly Travelers Live (CD+DVD)

1972a.jpg1972b.jpg

Tingvall Trio: Norr

1971.jpg

Martin Tingvall, p; Omar Rodriguez Calvo, b; Jürgen Spiegel, d.

Michael Brecker: Don't try this at home

1973.jpg

Michael Brecker: Now you see it ... now you don't

1974.jpg

Toshiko Mariano Quartet live at Birdland

1967.jpg

A jazz portrait of Charlie Mariano

1968.jpg

Mariano~Haurand~Humair

1969.jpg

Charlie Mariano, as; Ali Haurand, b; Daniel Humair, d.

Charlie Mariano: Mirror

1970.jpg

... Bet you have to throw the box away 'cos all the little prongs are bust. ...

I hope not. :unsure: ... I can handle cracked jewel cases, loose discs and all that, but busted prongs is a pain in the ass. Gotta pull the damn thing apart to get all the artwork out and stuff it it a new case. ...

I hope not. :unsure: ... I can handle cracked jewel cases, loose discs and all that, but busted prongs is a pain in the ass. Gotta pull the damn thing apart to get all the artwork out and stuff it it a new case. ...

If you can buy new cases that hold 4 CDs, get a few for me :)

MG

MG

Here's one (I think):

BLKJWCASE-4D-2T.jpg

MG

Here's one (I think):

BLKJWCASE-4D-2T.jpg

Wow! My man told me you couldn't get them. After seeing your link, I did a Google in the UK and found someone flogging them. Thanks Paps!

MG

MG

Here's one (I think):

BLKJWCASE-4D-2T.jpg

Lots of that kind of stuff available here and here.