What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, I recently bought the O'Day Quadromania set and it was all broken - all others so far were ok. I have no clue where I could find such cases here - all I can find for acceptable prizes are slim cases and regular jewel cases (both ONLY at the store at universtiy, other stores charge half the prize of a 100 CDR spindle for 10 friggin' jewel cases, which is madness!), and also 2CD jewel cases with the size of normal 1CD cases - never found anything other than that!

The Quadromania cases are unique so the artwork/tray cards are probably not going to work very nicely on a replacement case. Several of my sets had broken CD retainer teeth as well but the cases seem to hold the discs well enough that I'm not concerned about damaging them as long as they are handled respectfully.

Picked up a these at a new CD store I discovered. Lots of used stuff. Great prices.

c43249c11k4.jpg

and ... with all the good discussion of the blues lately, picked up a compilation CD titled "Born for the Blues" that includes tracks by Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Sonny Boy Williamson and Blind Boy Fuller among others.

McCoy Tyner: Jazz Roots. Basically McCoy plays compositions associated with some great pianists and the results are delightful. I found Don't Get Around Much Anymore(Duke) and My Foolish Heart-dedicated to Bill Evans- especially effective and moving. Personally, I could listen to McCoy play solo piano all day long.

14507.jpg

Pat Metheny - Zero Tolerance for Silence

I have been on a Metheny kick lately, enjoying 80/81, Bright Size Life, the Song X reissue, and this which I found for a dollar. I don't know why Metheny doesn't get more respect. He forged his own path with his own music for many years. Like Spinal Tap's punctuality, I'm impressed with his perseverance.

I hit BMG Music Service to find that their Box Sets are reduced by 2/3 with S&H @ 0$ once you've ordered 5 discs-not sets-discs. I figure they've either lost their minds or want to unload their Box Sets. Thus-the Complete Coltrane Quartets @ $12.33, Complete Charlie Parker Master Takes on Verve $9.33, BHoliday Verve Studio Master Takes $9.33, Coltrane Complete Village Vanguard Sessions, Jimmy Smith-Retrospective-$8 etc, etc. If you belong to BMG I'd hurry over there.

Peace,

Blue Trane

Edited by Blue Trane

I hit BMG Music Service to find that their Box Sets are reduced by 2/3 with S&H @ 0$ once you've ordered 5 discs-not sets-discs. I figure they've either lost their minds or want to unload their Box Sets. Thus-the Complete Coltrane Quartets @ $12.33, Complete Charlie Parker Master Takes on Verve $9.33, BHoliday Verve Studio Master Takes $9.33, Coltrane Complete Village Vanguard Sessions, Jimmy Smith-Retrospective-$8 etc, etc. If you belong to BMG I'd hurry over there.

Peace,

Blue Trane

Code please?

Peace,

Blue Trane

Code please?

No code, Agg-amemnon. If you have a code in the promotion code window on the left, remove it. Blue Trane's right--CRAZY low prices (e.g., 8 bucks for the Complete Norman Granz Jam Sessions), with no shipping once you get up to five discs in your cart (which you do with just one set like the Granz). Just go to the Jazz tab on the top of the home page, and then to "Boxed Sets" under "Explore" on the right, and start browsing (and buying :rolleyes: ). Of course, same crazy low prices for box sets in classical, rock, etc.

Edited by Ron S

51A7QJTRHML._AA240_.jpg

Rolf Billberg - Rare Danish Recordings By A Swedish Jazz Legend

This was a very nice find at a Half Price Books store for only $5.98 and still sealed. Billberg, who plays both tenor and alto sax here, is not the leader of any of the groups featured in this CD but he's one of the primary soloists in all the numbers. It clocks in at a very nice 74:41 and I'm enjoying it very much. I'd recommend it . Three of the numbers here even include a 14 year old(!) Niels-Henning Orstad Petersen.

519Y9JDWJ4L._AA240_.jpg

Lew Blackburn - The Complete Imperial Sessions

I had never heard of Blackburn until I read some buzz about this CD and how enjoyable it was. I checked out the sound samples, liked what I heard and picked up a copy which is somewhere in the USPS at this moment.

ee_2.JPG

Cecilia Coleman - The Imposter

I first learned of pianist Cecilia Coleman while listening to Live365 on the internet. She's not well known but you can find several of her releases at CD Baby. I find her to be very talented and she's put a hook in me. Steve Huffsteter on trumpet/flugelhorn and Jerry Pinter on tenor sax make for the other primary soloists on this CD and all are excellent IMHO.

Edited by mikelz777