What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a rare visit to what was once a Virgin Megastore (when did Virgin sell out?), I picked up "Giant Steps" for a fiver. It's a record I've been meaning to buy for about 13 years. On the one hand I'm glad I waited, as I'd have paid about fifteen quid for this 13 years ago.

Well, you can't go wrong with Giant Steps, can you? Especially for a fiver! Have you tried Manchester's Vinyl Exchange? Hundreds of used jazz CDs there, despite the store's name! (Welcome to the board, by the way.)

In a rare visit to what was once a Virgin Megastore (when did Virgin sell out?), I picked up "Giant Steps" for a fiver. It's a record I've been meaning to buy for about 13 years. On the one hand I'm glad I waited, as I'd have paid about fifteen quid for this 13 years ago.

Well, you can't go wrong with Giant Steps, can you? Especially for a fiver! Have you tried Manchester's Vinyl Exchange? Hundreds of used jazz CDs there, despite the store's name! (Welcome to the board, by the way.)

Hello Bill,

I've never bought jazz CDs at Vinyl Exchange - haven't been in there for years. I very rarely venture into Manchester these days, used to go about once a month when Decoy was still open. So Vinyl Exchange has a good selection then?

Richard

Hello Bill,

I've never bought jazz CDs at Vinyl Exchange - haven't been in there for years. I very rarely venture into Manchester these days, used to go about once a month when Decoy was still open. So Vinyl Exchange has a good selection then?

Richard

Yes, get in there before it closes! You know how it is with the record trade these days! Virgin, Decoy, Polar Bear - where are they now?

Hello Bill,

Richard

Yes, get in there before it closes! You know how it is with the record trade these days! Virgin, Decoy, Polar Bear - where are they now?

Spillers in Cardiff - the oldest record shop in the world - is still open. Move to Cardiff :g

MG

Put in an order for The Complete H.R.S Sessions Mosaic.

187.jpg

You'll never regret it. Happy listening!

Yeah, thanks. I'm really looking forward to this one (I've said that every time I order a Mosiac, I think).

Snagged today at the local new/used CD shop here:

Jimmy Lunceford and His Orchestra: 1930 - 1934 (Chronological Classics)

...... and, and, and ....

61H77y75x1L._AA240_.jpg

:excited:

Loading the Robert Johnson to the hard drive now as I spin the Lunceford (which I snagged based solely on the label, knowing zero about him. Enjoying it right now).

Art Farmer & Hal McKusick Quintet: Complete Studio Recordings (Lonehill)

As usual with Lonehill, something of a mixed bag, but begins with 11 superb tracks where the leaders are backed by a sterling rhythm team of Eddie Costa, Milt Hinton and Gus Johnson.

Also had the second McDuff Legends of Acid Jazz in the mailbox today (one album with Bill Jennings, one with Harold Vick & Grant Green)

edit: it's called "Brother Jack" (title of the album with Jennings, also contains "Goodnight, It's Time to Go")

Edited by king ubu