What music did you buy today?

tonym

Same here. "Rugged Jungle"...the way the band sounded in those last years...I had to check it out.

Here's a sample, found quite by surprise, which got me to looking.

Kind of intense in a lot of ways...

My copy arrived yesterday and I was disappointed that it was a CDR. But I forgot after I listened.

Definitely a boot, and definitely some sequencing issues, but...yeah. Exactly. Rugged Jungle.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided I ought to track down some of the best of the CD reissues of the Everest catalogue before they disappear.

I found this super cheap from a UK seller:

5060175190017.jpg

I'm trying to source the cheapest Orchestral Music of Eric Satie, but in the meantime, I found a bargain on Roge's Satie's Piano Music, so I snatched this up as well:

99351.jpg

Progressive Sounds by Gerald Wilson Federal 295-93 10' LP.

Probably paid a touch too much, but still less than the Chronological and/or Jazz Factory CDs I can find that have the same material, and besides, how cool is a Gerald Wilson 10".

Pretty damn cool, for my money!

Quantic & Alice Russell -- Look Around The Corner CD 1 $9.99 $9.99

Buddy  Rich -- Big Swing Face 		LP   	 1    	 $2.99  $2.99       	

Buddy Rich -- Swingin New Big Band 		LP    	1    	$0.99  $0.99   		

[b]JC Heard/Mary Lou  Williams[s][size="7"][color="#FF0000"]/[/color][/size][/s]Edmond  Hall/Maxine Sull -- [/b]Cafe Society 		LP    	1    	 $3.99  $3.99      
Earl Hines & Roy Eldridge -- At The Village Vanguard LP 1 $5.99 $5.99

George Russell & :smirk:The :blink: Living Time Orchestra -- So What LP 1 $1.99 $1.99

In the last few days, a few gospel albums have turned up

The Bells of Joy - The collection

61RAlvy3l2L._SS500_.jpg

Damn fine group I had only heard of before.

Rev Clay Evans - Songs from the Ship

219259CC54L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've got lots of Clay Evans. This is great.

Mighty Clouds of Joy - Best of vols 1 & 2

51TwZ1TZjNL._SS500_.jpg

414VHCJZD0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I decided I needed some of their earlier material, as I only have LPs from the eighties. This is Peacock stuff from the sixties. Very cheap, but bit of a swiz that three of the tracks are on both CDs.

Dr Charles G Hayes & the Cosmopolitan Church of Prayer Choir - Chapter one

51hFMch2IeL._SS500_.jpg

I've got a lot of this choir. This one's from 2008 and I'm listening to it now. Damn fine choir from Chicago which I've always thought of as the hottest northern gospel choir.

MG

51I7D83D14L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have recently started to get into this cat. Purchased Alexander the Great and Don't Follow the Crowd. Any recommendations on where to go next ?

51E6Q5JDNPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg Nightlife In Tokyo

41BYQ4RN1WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg The Second Milestone

Fully agree with those recommendations! :tup:tup

Two Swan Silvertones CDs yesterday

510lagRmusL._SS500_.jpg

This is a Hob recording from 1967, some done live in the Scepter studios. Very, very good indeed, with extended versions of some of their great numbers.

415PHAH9J3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is a Collectables twofer of two VJ LPs from the fifties. I've got 2 of their VJ compilations already and pleased that only 3 cuts are duplicated on this CD. The VJ material is MUCH more delicate than the HOB material (and also the Specialty material) but not quite as good as the King material, which doesn't seem to be available.

MG

510lagRmusL._SS500_.jpg

This is a Hob recording from 1967, some done live in the Scepter studios. Very, very good indeed, with extended versions of some of their great numbers.

This is a Collectables twofer of two VJ LPs from the fifties. I've got 2 of their VJ compilations already and pleased that only 3 cuts are duplicated on this CD. The VJ material is MUCH more delicate than the HOB material (and also the Specialty material) but not quite as good as the King material, which doesn't seem to be available.

MG

MG - You probably have it but, just in case others don't, The Swan Silvertones' King recordings are available here. It's a needle drop bootleg.

Also Ace released four of The Swans' King recordings on this legitimate release.

Also, you may already know it but, in case you don't, Rev. Claude Jeter: What Is This (Hob LP 2114) includes a great live version of "Only Believe". The rest of the LP doesn't come close to that one performance, but "Only Believe" alone is worth the price of the record.

Edited by paul secor

510lagRmusL._SS500_.jpg

MG

MG - You probably have it but, just in case others don't, The Swan Silvertones' King recordings are available here. It's a needle drop bootleg.

Also Ace released four of The Swans' King recordings on this legitimate release.

Also, you may already know it but, in case you don't, Rev. Claude Jeter: What Is This (Hob LP 2114) includes a great live version of "Only Believe". The rest of the LP doesn't come close to that one performance, but "Only Believe" alone is worth the price of the record.

Thanks Paul - I do have a few of those tracks - I only have a cheapo 10 track comp on LP, which is triff. Will get that one soon. Funnily enough, that CD came up top of the list when I did an Amazon UK search a couple of weeks ago, but it was listed as Swan Silvertones & Mills Brothers!!! I took one squint at it and said to myself, "I'm not even going to LOOK at an compilation of Swan Silvertones and Mills Bros," so I passed over it.

MG

Just ordered the Threadgill Soul Note box

51KTsih0v7L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Funny thing: I listen to a lot of "modern/contemporary classical", including some quite weird stuff, but my jazz tastes have somehow been really conservative and I never connected with a lot of "out"-type music. But I've been dipping my toes into avant-garde recently with pretty good results, and was highly impressed by the Threadgill clips I heard.