What music did you buy today?

tonym

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I spent a few hours at my favorite record store (not that I get to visit very often), the Jazz Record Mart in Chicago. I bought CDs, LPs, and 78s, including some hard to find stuff:

CD - Prince Lasha - Insight (CBS/Dusty Groove)

John Tchicai and Cadentia Nova Danica - Afrodisiaca (MPS/Promising)

Kidd Jordan - On Fire (Engine)

Douglas Ewart and Inventions Clarinet Choir - Angles of Entrance (Arawak). This is the one I was most excited to find. This version of Inventions includes Roscoe Mitchell, Henry Threadgill, and Anthony Braxton. Most of this album was recorded in the 1990's at the Atlanta Jazz Fest (my trio played right after them), and I only recently became aware that Ewart had issued the concert on CD. By the time I found out about this CD, it was seemingly unavailable, so I was really tickled to find a copy.

LP - Ken Colyer - Club Session With Colyer (London) - A nice copy of this 1956 album.

Doc Paulin - Doc Paulin's Marching Band (Folkways) - Sealed copy of a great record by one of the rougher New Orleans brass bands. I've had the Smithsonian/Folkways CDR for a couple of years, but I was very happy to find the LP.

Willis Jackson/Von Freeman - Lockin' Horns (Muse)

78 - I won't list them all, but the highlights were a 9" Louisiana Five on Emerson (I love that band) and an original Vocalion issue of "Four or Five Times" by Jimmie Noone's Apex Club Orchestra. I frankly bought the latter more as an object than a record - it looks pretty worn. But it's cool to have.

And they were playing Warne Marsh's All Music on Nessa on the sound system while I was there.

Jeff - wish I'd known you'd be in Chicago. I'd have made the trip to meet you in person. I might have bought lunch. :smirk:

What a nice thing to say!

I thought about telling the folks here that I was going to visit, but didn't, for a variety of reasons - it was a short trip (just two full days), I didn't want to abandon my wife too much, and I had been too stressed out about my dad to post much of anything here. It certainly didn't occur to me that you would have been willing to make the drive over to meet me.

It was a great visit, short as it was. I don't get to visit very often, but Chicago is a city I really love.

Late post, from UK Mail, not Royal Mail, just brought this.

61H2AI81jxL._SS500_.jpg

Sam Theard was a comedian of the twenties and thirties. You'll have heard of him as the writer of 'You rascal you' and 'Let the good times roll' and 'You can't get that no more', for Louis Jordan, and Ruth Brown's 'Teardrops from my eyes'. As a comedian he was known as 'Spo-dee-o-dee', from which Sticks McGhee got the solution to a substitute word for his song, 'Drinking wine, motherfucker'.

Born 1904, died 1982. He apeared in some well known films, as well as making records and writing songs. He was in the TV series 'Sanford & son' and 'Little house on the prairie' and in the films, 'Norman is that you' with Redd Foxx, and with Richard Pryor in 'Which way is up'.

Haven't heard it yet. It literally arrived a few minutes ago.

MG

Same here. "Rugged Jungle"...the way the band sounded in those last years...I had to check it out.

Here's a sample, found quite by surprise, which got me to looking.

Kind of intense in a lot of ways...

My copy arrived yesterday and I was disappointed that it was a CDR. But I forgot after I listened.

Same here. "Rugged Jungle"...the way the band sounded in those last years...I had to check it out.

Here's a sample, found quite by surprise, which got me to looking.

Kind of intense in a lot of ways...

Interesting. Ellington makes a longer version of the speech about McLuhan on the studio version of the suite. I mentioned this once to McLuhan's daughter who said Duke and her father were friends though Ellington always seemed to be flirting with her mother.

51XFoHUbJ9L._SS400_.jpg

Jamal's latest, with Reginald, Veal, Herlin Riley, and Monolo Badrena. Bought it for Riley in the first place, who does not disappoint. I must admit I like Jamal's 1950's and 1960's playing best - there is a little too much focus on the piano, although there is plenty of interaction. Maybe it's the recording balance ...

51RmvM9GP3L._SS400_.jpg

This was recommended to me by an old friend - one sassy, sexy album, looking back to the 1960's but very contemporary, the band grooves like mad.