What music did you buy today?

tonym

Lee Morgan: Volume 3

Lee Morgan: Candy

Hank Mobley: Roll Call

Hank Mobley: Hank

Sonny Clark: Sonny's Crib

Sonny Clark: Dial 'S' For Sonny

Classic Records 200 gram vinyl, mono analog re-issues. All highly recommended for music. All, except Volume 3, recommended for sound.

Edited by wolff

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy Weston:

- Portraits of Duke Ellington

- Portraits of Thelonious Monk

- Self Portraits

all three vinyls in perfect condition for the price of a single CD!

wow!

I have two of them on CD (missing the Ellington, if memory serves right). Why are all these great Weston French Universal discs OOP, so much great music there, "Marrakesh...", "Saga" (the only one not OOP, I think), than the beautiful disc with Teddy Edwards...

Do the albums included all the tracks the CDs have? Running 50+ minutes?

ubu

Randy Weston:

- Portraits of Duke Ellington

- Portraits of Thelonious Monk

- Self Portraits

all three vinyls in perfect condition for the price of a single CD!

wow!

I have two of them on CD (missing the Ellington, if memory serves right). Why are all these great Weston French Universal discs OOP, so much great music there, "Marrakesh...", "Saga" (the only one not OOP, I think), than the beautiful disc with Teddy Edwards...

Do the albums included all the tracks the CDs have? Running 50+ minutes?

ubu

Ubu, yes the three vinyls have everything that was on the CDs!

By the way those Polydor/Verve vinyl issues were pressed in Holland!

Jean-Philippe Allard is one of the top producers at Universal/Polygram France. He works with Daniel Richard, another top producer.

Don't know Allard personally but I used to know Daniel Richard, one of the most knowledgeable person in the jazz producing field! Have also heard good things about Allard whose record (if I may say so) speak for itself ;)

Seven Jazz in Paris discs:

- Urtreger joue Bud Powell (FINALLY!!!)

- both B. Peiffer trio discs

- Jazz et cinéma Vol. 4

- Modern jazz à Saint-Germain

- Porgy & Bess

- Stéphane Grapelli, "Django"

Nice little sale (though a wee bit more expansive then getting them on Amazon, but if it's just a wee bit, I like buying in some good - well, ok - stores), and I'll get more...

And Mr. Moments gets set #2317. :g

It's a great set.

Actually, my copy is sitting right next to me on the table. :g

It's a GREAT set. And I'm listening to mine (# 2285) right now! I only wish that I had Chuck autograph it for me back in January :g

Edited by GregK

And Mr. Moments gets set #2317. :g

It's a great set.

Actually, my copy is sitting right next to me on the table. :g

It's a GREAT set. And I'm listening to mine (# 2285) right now! I only wish that I had Chuck autograph it for me back in January :g

Mine is #2196. I purchased mine through True Blue along with some Mosaic orders. :D

I know I should have bought mine from Chuck, but I gave into impulse while ordering from Mosaic. :g

Mine is #2196. I purchased mine through True Blue along with some Mosaic orders. :D

I know I should have bought mine from Chuck, but I gave into impulse while ordering from Mosaic. :g

well, as long as you have it! Those Numbers sessions are fascinating. I can't get enough of this stuff

Bentsy: I'll revive that JiP thread again in a few days... It will take some time for me to catch up with these, but the Urtreger has been recommended by many (and mostly, I remember, by brownie)!

Got my zweit package including:

- Tjader Playse Mambo

- Booger Heavy!!!

- Big Bags

- Pepper Adams Encounter!

- Getz w/ Raney & Gibbs

- Harold in the Land of Jazz (wonder how that one is, Penguin says it's bad)

- Ray Bryant Trio

- Byrd/Burrell All Night Long

- Stitt Kaleidoscope

- Ellington Suites

- Sims & Gershwin Bros.

- K.D. 2 horns 2 riddim

- MJQ Concorde

- Art Farmer Septet

- Art Pepper Hollywood 5CD box

!!!

I bought a bunch of music yesterday.

Charles Mingus - Ah Um (SACD)

Art Blakey - Drums Around the Corner

Duke Ellington - Piano in the Background (yourmusic.com order)

and some rock stuff

The Zombies - Greatest Hits (SACD Hybrid)

Aimee Mann - Bachelor # 2

I'd been thinking about getting those MoFo SACDs by Mann and this title is one of them. I wanted to hear some of it first... eh, it's OK... certainly not worth MoFi money! I think I liked Mann better on the 'Til Tuesday discs.

The Duke date is very nice. "Piano in the Foreground" is also in my yourmusic.com queue. BTW, I had to move "Piano in Background" to the top of my queue because yourmusic.com sent me a notice that it was going away so anyone thinking about this title should hurry up.

"Drums Around the Corner" is a very nice date. I have avoided Blakey's drummer discs because I figured they'd be boring. I'm glad I got this one. Lee Morgan plays some steamin' solos.

I also picked up the Connoisseur of Frank Foster & George Wallington for connoisseur series500. I'm glad I found someone that wanted that... I hated seeing that sitting there. I grabbed a bunch of oop Connoisseurs for trade bait but I still have to think about what to do with them before posting a list.

Later,

Kevin