RIP Tom Smothers

JSngry

On 12/27/2023 at 3:52 PM, JSngry said:

“…The Who, meanwhile, had a regular bit of stagecraft wherein they would put an explosive charge in Keith Moon's bass drum and light it off at the end of their performances. Due to some miscommunication and a desire to really bring down the house, unbeknownst to everyone, the drum kit ended up with a triple charge on the night the band appeared on the Smothers brothers' show … cymbal shrapnel hit Moon in the arm (see him grab his shoulder), and the explosion singed Pete Townshend's hair while also giving him permanent hearing loss…”

12 minutes ago, rostasi said:

“…The Who, meanwhile, had a regular bit of stagecraft wherein they would put an explosive charge in Keith Moon's bass drum and light it off at the end of their performances. Due to some miscommunication and a desire to really bring down the house, unbeknownst to everyone, the drum kit ended up with a triple charge on the night the band appeared on the Smothers brothers' show … cymbal shrapnel hit Moon in the arm (see him grab his shoulder), and the explosion singed Pete Townshend's hair while also giving him permanent hearing loss…”

I was watching that show in real time, and the endgame destructions was the final blow coming as it did on top of all of Daltrey's uber-stuttering. I had yet to turn 12, was stuttering a lot anyway, and was rapidly developing a fuquitous attitude towards society in general.

This performance was like, yeah I'm gonna stutter until I break and then I'll go ahead and blow it ALL up. Fuck it. 

Worked for me! 

Here, you can see Smothers doubling Lennon on acoustic guitar;
he’s sitting in a chair just to Lennon's right
(advance to 3:35 for a particularly clear view or just look at the still view here):

8 minutes ago, JSngry said:

fuquitous

Is this a “fuck everywhere” attitude?