BFT 238 Discussion

Dan Gould

Happy New Year to all and thanks to Thom, my newest effort is now released:

https://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

I am particularly pleased with this one which means I will probably get many opposite reactions but I do believe we have:

Listenability and superior tracking (and under 80 minutes too!)

Quite a number of familiar tunes so there is that element of the blindfold test for people to excel at;

The unavoidable tough ones plus a surprise or two balanced by several I think are "gimmes" as to at least an artist or two on the track;

and most importantly, we got Felsers. I emptied my Felser list in fact.

(Well, Felsers I can listen to at least. I only hope I earn enough points to get the coveted Liked it More Than Hated It rating. <late lamented green emoji here> )

These are all, save one, tunes I discovered this year. There is no Gene Harris. One soloist is heard from twice.  More and better hints to come later on.

Have at it ...

Edited by Dan Gould

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just did a quick 1-2 minute scan, think I heard Milt Buckner on one? Maybe something with Gatemouth, a Black & Blue side? 

Also know I heard a big band version of Freddie's "Blues For Duane", which...how many can there be, right? So, delighted to find an unknown-to-me Ernie Wilkins live record with a delightfully varied personnel.

Maybe Mongo on #1?

The rest, I'll get to, promise. January is crowded as fuck with life shit, but that's my problem! 

1 – Sixties style, right out of “The Sidewinder” family by way of Eddie Harris and Jon Hendricks.   I like it OK, though it feels a little bit like a novelty to me.  Suspect this is a later vintage than its style would suggest, as it’s a too studied in its evocation.

2 – The style is fun, but the horn soloists don’t do much for me.  Sound like older guys used to going outside who are trying going inside.  I do like the trumpet solo.  Hamiett Bluiett on bari?  Also sounds underrehearsed to me.  Mapleshade Records?  Is that Don Pullen on piano?  On balance, I like the track, but not big-time.

3 – Swingin!  Good mainstream stuff, I like it fine, though again the soloists don’t do much for me.  I could see this being on a label like Pablo.

4 – This is more my sweet spot than the previous cuts and wins the coveted “wouldn’t mind having that in my collection” award.   Sax player is very strong, I suspect a big-time name who I have well-represented in my collection.

5 – Is this from that Oscar Peterson meets the Trumpet Kings series of albums?  Pleasant.

6 – I like this one ok.  The bass player really has my ear.   Older horn players, and I don’t care all that much for them, or for the piano solo, but the rhythm section is really locked in!

7 – Old-fashioned organ player.  I assume late 50’s.  Guitar player wins solo honors to me.  I would see it as a fun track, though not essential, but the trombone player gets on my nerves, and it sounds like his album.

8 – JATP feel to the cut, classic “tenor battle” – is it a JATP recording?   I like this one a lot! I want to think I have enough of this sort of thing to not need more but could be convinced to make an exception in this case.  All of the solos are very good.  Oscar Peterson on piano?

9 – Good soloists on this cut, the solos raise it above background music level for me.  I assume big names on this.  I like it on balance!

10 – Older sax player, not a fan of their tone (I got myself in trouble with you last time I said that about the sax player on one of your BFT’s – it was Percy France!).

11 – Well, I’ve never heard a version of “A Night in Tunisia” I didn’t enjoy, though this probably falls below the midpoint for me.  I like it less relaxed (think the Blakey/Messengers version on Blue Note), and the stride aspects of the pianist’s style are somewhat off-putting to me.

12 – Fine for what it is but feels earlier than my domain.   Sax and guitar are fine with me, but the roller-rink organ grates on me.

13 – Sax player has exquisite control, but it’s a performance I admire more than enjoy, found myself getting very impatient with it.  Lee Konitz?

Thanks, Dan, for the BFT and the comradery!  A lot of good tracks on here (I give 9 of 13 a thumbs up – nine more than you liked on my BFT 😊).  #4 and #8 are big winners for me, and I greatly look forward to ID’s of them (which I’m sure people here will provide soon enough).

4 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 8: "Now's the Time"/"The Hucklebuck"

Track 9: "My Little Suede Shoes"

Track 10: "Groovin' High"

Track 11: "A Night in Tunisia"

Track 13: "Misty"

I knew Bill would plow thru the song IDs - although there are definitely two others that should be ID'd and a third that I think someone will get.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Just did a quick 1-2 minute scan, think I heard Milt Buckner on one? Maybe something with Gatemouth, a Black & Blue side?  Gatemouth yes, not Buckner. The tune was recorded on Black & Blue but that isn't this actually.

Also know I heard a big band version of Freddie's "Blues For Duane", which...how many can there be, right? So, delighted to find an unknown-to-me Ernie Wilkins live record with a delightfully varied personnel. 👍

Maybe Mongo on #1? Nope.

The rest, I'll get to, promise. January is crowded as fuck with life shit, but that's my problem!

I hope so cause on some of them, you're our only hope, Obi Wan.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, felser said:

1 – Sixties style, right out of “The Sidewinder” family by way of Eddie Harris and Jon Hendricks.   I like it OK, though it feels a little bit like a novelty to me.  Suspect this is a later vintage than its style would suggest, as it’s a too studied in its evocation.  I thought more in terms of the larger-group Turrentine BNs but certainly comes out of the Sidewinder and Sons tradition.  The vintage is not later and should't really come across as "too studied". It is however from slightly beyond those Turrentine recordings.

2 – The style is fun, but the horn soloists don’t do much for me.  Sound like older guys used to going outside who are trying going inside.  I do like the trumpet solo.  Hamiett Bluiett on bari?  Also sounds underrehearsed to me.  Mapleshade Records?  Is that Don Pullen on piano?  On balance, I like the track, but not big-time. None of your guesses are correct though "used to going outside trying to go inside" is accurate to a degree.  I figured this would be one you might own.

3 – Swingin!  Good mainstream stuff, I like it fine, though again the soloists don’t do much for me.  I could see this being on a label like Pablo. Not on Pablo. Sangrey sleuthed it though didn't give details.

4 – This is more my sweet spot than the previous cuts and wins the coveted “wouldn’t mind having that in my collection” award.   Sax player is very strong, I suspect a big-time name who I have well-represented in my collection. Not a big-time name and in fact his earlier recordings were more up my alley and less up yours. Alley that is.

For the record, this was the end of the I Think Felser May Like section.

5 – Is this from that Oscar Peterson meets the Trumpet Kings series of albums?  Pleasant.  Not OP and not someone who would appear on a Pablo recording.

6 – I like this one ok.  The bass player really has my ear.   Older horn players, and I don’t care all that much for them, or for the piano solo, but the rhythm section is really locked in! "don't care all that much for them" gets a WOW from me.

7 – Old-fashioned organ player.  I assume late 50’s.  Guitar player wins solo honors to me.  I would see it as a fun track, though not essential, but the trombone player gets on my nerves, and it sounds like his album. This was surely the track that I was confident would not remotely hit the mark for you. Not late 50s. Sangrey circling around the answer.

8 – JATP feel to the cut, classic “tenor battle” – is it a JATP recording?   I like this one a lot! I want to think I have enough of this sort of thing to not need more but could be convinced to make an exception in this case.  All of the solos are very good.  Oscar Peterson on piano?  Not OP, not JATP.  One tenor, one alto one trumpet. Given your preferences I don't think this recording would get an overall thumbs up from you though there are two more tracks like this one. 

9 – Good soloists on this cut, the solos raise it above background music level for me.  I assume big names on this.  I like it on balance!  Yes well known soloists here.

10 – Older sax player, not a fan of their tone (I got myself in trouble with you last time I said that about the sax player on one of your BFT’s – it was Percy France!).  Yes older altoist. 

11 – Well, I’ve never heard a version of “A Night in Tunisia” I didn’t enjoy, though this probably falls below the midpoint for me.  I like it less relaxed (think the Blakey/Messengers version on Blue Note), and the stride aspects of the pianist’s style are somewhat off-putting to me. Well you may have pointed some to the answer with that last comment.

12 – Fine for what it is but feels earlier than my domain.   Sax and guitar are fine with me, but the roller-rink organ grates on me. Agreed on the organ but when it comes to this soloist beggars can't be choosers.

13 – Sax player has exquisite control, but it’s a performance I admire more than enjoy, found myself getting very impatient with it.  Lee Konitz?  I had a plethora of tracks to choose from on this CD and maybe I will regret choosing this one, but I wanted to avoid the obvious blues-type options, and the story of this particular track as relayed in the liners is interesting to me. So I will get into it at the reveal.

Thanks, Dan, for the BFT and the comradery!  A lot of good tracks on here (I give 9 of 13 a thumbs up – nine more than you liked on my BFT 😊).  #4 and #8 are big winners for me, and I greatly look forward to ID’s of them (which I’m sure people here will provide soon enough).

I'll take 9 out of 13 anytime, Mr. Felser. 

Edited by Dan Gould

I gave this an early spin b/c I'll be away this week.  The Venn diagram of overlap between Dan and I fits nicely, the other parts, less so.  So, it's a Dan test.  :D 

Track 01 - I'm taken back to watching the Pink Panther cartoons as a kid.  Not necessarily the pink panther himself, but one of the Inspector cartoons.  Mongo?  Got a good feel (though that pianist doesn't do it for me).  Scat is hit or miss for me, and this is a bit of both.  I don't think it's Hendricks, but there's no denying the influence.  Doesn't quite seem up to his level of technique, but still mostly works.  Not the heaviest ride, but about perfect for cooking.  

Track 02 - Now THAT is some bad sound.  Hard enough to say much in four bars, but to replace solos with that format is something that should be reserved for very particular settings.  Fortunately, no one here has a helluva lot to say to my ear.  Trumpet saves it a bit with a good solo.  The second fours section still doesn't excite me, but it's more musical than the first.  Maybe Dale Fielder on bari?  Seems older than that.  No idea on the other sax players, though the alto is the one who catches my ear the most.

Track 03 - Welp, there's the Concord sound.  :D Sure feels like Mraz on bass.  Not sure on the horns, but this is definitely the neighborhood that puts me in contact with you.  #TeamFelser  :D Oh joy!  The unemployment stick.  Not sure who the snake charmer is, but what he's playing does NOT fit the feel.  No thanks.  Trumpet settles into the pocket nicely, and is familiar.  The horns behind the solo are the highlight of this.  A lot of flash to that trumpet, but I don't think it's Freddie.  Could be Randy Brecker, but seems a bit more versed in the music than Randy.  

Track 04 - How to play two standards without paying royalties.  No tune in this genre is complete without a quote of Stranger In Paradise.  Has a bit of that Gator edge, but not Gator.  Obviously, I much like this tenor.  Not getting a huge impression from the rhythm section, but neither are they in the way.  Okay, this is fun.  This dude is a little nuts and I like it.  Nitpicky, but I didn't need the Coltrane entry into the trade-off section.  Otherwise works.  I assume this is someone I know but not super well.

Track 05 - I like the feel, though it's not the players I want it to be.  These are "newer" guys (because I'm a fossil).  I was hoping for John Hicks, but it's not.  It all works, and it's enjoyable.  I should know this tune name, but I don't.  Sounds like one of those Wynton-adjacent guys from the 80s (the guys who had a touch of soul and got no credit like Blanchard, Marlon Jordan or the like.  It kind of unravels in the fours section.  They don't lose it, I just don't hear the music in it.  And can we NOT throw in cutesy quotes on the piano, please?  This is from the era where I sort of went to sleep on "new" music, because it wasn't that.

Track 06 - And this, is NOT that.  Nothing outrageous, just swings its ass off.  Sure has that Percy Heath feel in the bass.  Unsure on the bari -- only certainty is who it isn't.  This is the keeper track thus far.

Track 07 - Bland shuffle and a grating organ.  Nope. Trombone sells it, but he's got to work extra hard.  Absolutely recoil from this drummer/organist.  

Track 08 - Now's The Time.  Sounds like Buddy Tate (sound), but execution isn't quite there.  Older Buddy?  Can't think of another shouter who cooks like that.  Okay, yeah, no question, that's Buddy.  Subtlety of a firetruck!  Gotta love it -- such a beast!  Seems crazy, but I have no clue on the other horns.  It works, but I can't get a read on either of them.  What am I listening to?  Who cares?  Give me more Buddy!

Track 09 - One of my favorite Parker tunes, which I know is weird.  It's just so damned infectious.  Junior Cook on tenor.  Has that muse sound.  Not Woody.  Bill Hardman?  Okay.  I was leaning towards Al Foster and curiosity got the best of me and it's right here on my laptop.  It's side B, track 2 from this.

Track 10 - Almost said Hot House, but no, it's Groovin' High.  Never can keep the bop titles straight. Don't recognize the alto, but he's for real.  Maybe not out of that top tier, but this guy is a bad MF.  At this point, I'd just put my horn away -- I'll sit in another night.  :D Not sure the rest of the band is the same era.  Sound is horrid, but something about that piano just doesn't sit right with me. Very busy, but something isn't quite in sync to me.  I know him, and it's a common reaction, which is where the recognition is coming from.  Not Hilton Ruiz, but a close neighborhood.  Oh, Jesus.  This cat is NUTS! (alto)  Who IS this!?  Completely unique player, but completely respectful to what he's playing.  Suggests a guy from the hay-day.  So, who is slightly off Main St., but can play like that.  Bill Barron's neighborhood, if you know what I mean.

Track 11 - Okay, so we're heading down a particular path, I see.  Actually prefer this tune around this tempo.  Johnny Griffin did everythink you can do at breakneck tempo on this and it should be put to bed at that tempo.  This works just fine.  Musical, swings, and is tasteful.  Strange sound.  Piano seems disconnected from the bass (soundwise), but bass is crystal clear.  To be fair, listening on the TV surround via bluetooth, but still, bass seems to be far more clear than the piano.  The only thing I know for certain is, I don't know who the pianist is.  A lot to enjoy here.

Track 12 - Can't be what it sounds like to me.  "Nothing you can do can tear me away from my guy."  Jug-adjacent tenor, with what sounds like a lesser rhythm section.  Is this one of your Percy France inclusions?  

Track 13 - Tune is obvious.  Players less so.  As it wraps, I'm still in that spot.  I can only guarantee who it is not.

A lot of stuff I don't know and a couple of real killing tracks.  Can't bitch about that.

Edited by tkeith

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, tkeith said:

I gave this an early spin b/c I'll be away this week.  The Venn diagram of overlap between Dan and I fits nicely, the other parts, less so.  So, it's a Dan test.  :D 

Track 01 - I'm taken back to watching the Pink Panther cartoons as a kid.  Not necessarily the pink panther himself, but one of the Inspector cartoons.  Mongo?  Got a good feel (though that pianist doesn't do it for me).  Scat is hit or miss for me, and this is a bit of both.  I don't think it's Hendricks, but there's no denying the influence.  Doesn't quite seem up to his level of technique, but still mostly works.  Not the heaviest ride, but about perfect for cooking.   No, not Hendricks.

Track 02 - Now THAT is some bad sound.  Hard enough to say much in four bars, but to replace solos with that format is something that should be reserved for very particular settings.  Fortunately, no one here has a helluva lot to say to my ear.  Trumpet saves it a bit with a good solo.  The second fours section still doesn't excite me, but it's more musical than the first.  Maybe Dale Fielder on bari?  Seems older than that.  No idea on the other sax players, though the alto is the one who catches my ear the most. I'll just say I am surprised at the reaction.

Track 03 - Welp, there's the Concord sound.  :D Sure feels like Mraz on bass.  Not sure on the horns, but this is definitely the neighborhood that puts me in contact with you.  #TeamFelser  :D Oh joy!  The unemployment stick.  Not sure who the snake charmer is, but what he's playing does NOT fit the feel.  No thanks.  Trumpet settles into the pocket nicely, and is familiar.  The horns behind the solo are the highlight of this.  A lot of flash to that trumpet, but I don't think it's Freddie.  Could be Randy Brecker, but seems a bit more versed in the music than Randy.   Not Concord, Mraz or Brecker.  Sangrey ID'd the group so it wouldn't be hard for someone to come up with the specifics.

Track 04 - How to play two standards without paying royalties.  No tune in this genre is complete without a quote of Stranger In Paradise.  Has a bit of that Gator edge, but not Gator.  Obviously, I much like this tenor.  Not getting a huge impression from the rhythm section, but neither are they in the way.  Okay, this is fun.  This dude is a little nuts and I like it.  Nitpicky, but I didn't need the Coltrane entry into the trade-off section.  Otherwise works.  I assume this is someone I know but not super well.  Not sure if you know him as he is really not super well-known. And still surprised at no ID of the tune.

Track 05 - I like the feel, though it's not the players I want it to be.  These are "newer" guys (because I'm a fossil).  I was hoping for John Hicks, but it's not.  It all works, and it's enjoyable.  I should know this tune name, but I don't.  Sounds like one of those Wynton-adjacent guys from the 80s (the guys who had a touch of soul and got no credit like Blanchard, Marlon Jordan or the like.  It kind of unravels in the fours section.  They don't lose it, I just don't hear the music in it.  And can we NOT throw in cutesy quotes on the piano, please?  This is from the era where I sort of went to sleep on "new" music, because it wasn't that. These are two major artists of the last 40-50 years.  Wynton-adjacent sort of points toward one.

Track 06 - And this, is NOT that.  Nothing outrageous, just swings its ass off.  Sure has that Percy Heath feel in the bass.  Unsure on the bari -- only certainty is who it isn't.  This is the keeper track thus far. Not Heath. Glad you like it.

Track 07 - Bland shuffle and a grating organ.  Nope. Trombone sells it, but he's got to work extra hard.  Absolutely recoil from this drummer/organist.   

Track 08 - Now's The Time.  Sounds like Buddy Tate (sound), but execution isn't quite there.  Older Buddy?  Can't think of another shouter who cooks like that.  Okay, yeah, no question, that's Buddy.  Subtlety of a firetruck!  Gotta love it -- such a beast!  Seems crazy, but I have no clue on the other horns.  It works, but I can't get a read on either of them.  What am I listening to?  Who cares?  Give me more Buddy!  Yes it is Buddy Tate and you should absolutely go get this recording.

Track 09 - One of my favorite Parker tunes, which I know is weird.  It's just so damned infectious.  Junior Cook on tenor.  Has that muse sound.  Not Woody.  Bill Hardman?  Okay.  I was leaning towards Al Foster and curiosity got the best of me and it's right here on my laptop.  It's side B, track 2 from thisWell done.

Track 10 - Almost said Hot House, but no, it's Groovin' High.  Never can keep the bop titles straight. Don't recognize the alto, but he's for real.  Maybe not out of that top tier, but this guy is a bad MF.  At this point, I'd just put my horn away -- I'll sit in another night.  :D Not sure the rest of the band is the same era.  Sound is horrid, but something about that piano just doesn't sit right with me. Very busy, but something isn't quite in sync to me.  I know him, and it's a common reaction, which is where the recognition is coming from.  Not Hilton Ruiz, but a close neighborhood.  Oh, Jesus.  This cat is NUTS! (alto)  Who IS this!?  Completely unique player, but completely respectful to what he's playing.  Suggests a guy from the hay-day.  So, who is slightly off Main St., but can play like that.  Bill Barron's neighborhood, if you know what I mean.  I really don't think he is far off Main Street but a bad MF is certainly true.

Track 11 - Okay, so we're heading down a particular path, I see.  Actually prefer this tune around this tempo.  Johnny Griffin did everythink you can do at breakneck tempo on this and it should be put to bed at that tempo.  This works just fine.  Musical, swings, and is tasteful.  Strange sound.  Piano seems disconnected from the bass (soundwise), but bass is crystal clear.  To be fair, listening on the TV surround via bluetooth, but still, bass seems to be far more clear than the piano.  The only thing I know for certain is, I don't know who the pianist is.  A lot to enjoy here.

Track 12 - Can't be what it sounds like to me.  "Nothing you can do can tear me away from my guy."  Jug-adjacent tenor, with what sounds like a lesser rhythm section.  Is this one of your Percy Faith inclusions?   I assume you meant to type Percy France as I wouldn't know where to begin in my extensive Percy Faith section of the stacks. This song was a major hit for Nat Cole 12 years before "My Guy".

Track 13 - Tune is obvious.  Players less so.  As it wraps, I'm still in that spot.  I can only guarantee who it is not.

A lot of stuff I don't know and a couple of real killing tracks.  Can't bitch about that.

Thanks Thom will be curious your reactions to some of the reveals.

(And I am wondering if your commentary on sound comes from the set up you mention using?)

Edited by Dan Gould

Happy new year! 

1. Nice groove, not a fan of the scatting. 

2. Alto, tenor and bari pairing? Interesting. Overall a little forgettable. It’s got a TV theme styled head and comes across a tad corny. 

3. Immediately reminds me of Junior Mance, specifically his work on Bee Hive. Bluesy but well done. Chicago style seems apparent too. Wish I knew who else to guess but no luck. 

4. Late 60s style but not sure of when it was recorded, however it was recorded well. There’s some urgency in the pace but it seems mid tempo overall and that driving from the drummer and bass player is a nice aspect of this song. Great tune.

5. Sounds like a calypso song done jazz style, heavy on the piano. I’d guess Earl Hines. There’s a lot in that playing. Not sure at all on the trumpet player. Theatrics recall Dizzy but I’m thinking it’s someone else. 

6.  Nice track. Cecil Payne on bari? Love just about everything involved here.

7. Oh hell yeah. Love the organ intro and start here. Bluesy jazz guitar too. Wish I could place that guitarist. Another song that has it all. Fantastic track.

8. Very familiar song and I think I have this album but as it goes in BFTs I can’t make it out. 

9. Ugh, same with this one. Totally recognizable. Really well done song with some prominent comping from the pianist. Hate I can’t recall who this is…

10. Art Pepper? Sounds like an alto anyway. 

11. Walter Davis Jr? 

12. Same organist as before? Like the combo. Recording quality is low but still not too intrusive as to prohibit enjoyment of the song. 

13. This is the style of ballad I’m not all that fond of. The playing is good but they can’t escape the saccharine song feel. It’s an older sax playing style too. Maybe later Coleman Hawkins? He has saved some bad tunes before. 

Thanks for this BFT! Enjoyable all around and looking forward to spot on guesses and the reveal. 

3 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Happy new year! 

1. Nice groove, not a fan of the scatting.  I have to say the scatting took me by surprise on first hearing of this track (it's actually A1 on the record) and really through out the album. I figured it would get mixed reactions.

2. Alto, tenor and bari pairing? Interesting. Overall a little forgettable. It’s got a TV theme styled head and comes across a tad corny.  

3. Immediately reminds me of Junior Mance, specifically his work on Bee Hive. Bluesy but well done. Chicago style seems apparent too. Wish I knew who else to guess but no luck.  Not Mance. Sangrey pointed toward the source without specifics.

4. Late 60s style but not sure of when it was recorded, however it was recorded well. There’s some urgency in the pace but it seems mid tempo overall and that driving from the drummer and bass player is a nice aspect of this song. Great tune. Glad you like. Tune is earlier than late 60s.

5. Sounds like a calypso song done jazz style, heavy on the piano. I’d guess Earl Hines. There’s a lot in that playing. Not sure at all on the trumpet player. Theatrics recall Dizzy but I’m thinking it’s someone else.  Jazz original composition. Not Hines.

6.  Nice track. Cecil Payne on bari? Love just about everything involved here. Not Payne.

7. Oh hell yeah. Love the organ intro and start here. Bluesy jazz guitar too. Wish I could place that guitarist. Another song that has it all. Fantastic track. Glad somebody liked this track!

8. Very familiar song and I think I have this album but as it goes in BFTs I can’t make it out. 

9. Ugh, same with this one. Totally recognizable. Really well done song with some prominent comping from the pianist. Hate I can’t recall who this is…

10. Art Pepper? Sounds like an alto anyway.  It is an alto but not Pepper.

11. Walter Davis Jr?  Nope.

12. Same organist as before? Like the combo. Recording quality is low but still not too intrusive as to prohibit enjoyment of the song.  Not the same organist.

13. This is the style of ballad I’m not all that fond of. The playing is good but they can’t escape the saccharine song feel. It’s an older sax playing style too. Maybe later Coleman Hawkins? He has saved some bad tunes before.  I had my fill of this tune for years before hearing this rendition. To me the performance, and the story behind the recording, made this one of the first tracks selected for this BFT.

Thanks for this BFT! Enjoyable all around and looking forward to spot on guesses and the reveal. 

Glad a lot of these really hit the spot and thanks for your participation!

Ok. a window is open, so let me jump in before it closes!

TRACK ONE - Ok, so NOT Mongo, which is a relief, because the alto player is not up to either Bobby Capers or Sonny Fortune or Hubert Laws, at least not in this groove. It's a bit lick-y/run-ny. But the lack of montuno puts it in its own zone, one of Mongo (not him) or Willie Bobo (and not him), so....sounds like a Latin cover of a Top 40 hit that never was a Top 40 hit LOL. But that could be Bobby Capers? Latin Jazz Quintet? Don't think it's Pucho...That's kind of a Garnett Brown opening lick, so....nope, nothing really jumps out there....oh my, bebop scat! And competent at that! No ID, but it's a groovy track, that's for sure.

TRACK TWO - Hmmm....they want me to snap my fingers and pat my foot, don't they. Well, they think me to be a cheap date then! And I can be, but only if there's a payoff for being one.  The bass and piano seem to think there is, but on the whole....sorry. I almost picked up a copy of Bobby Watson's Estimated Time of Arrival the other day, and this sounds like something I would have expected to have heard on there if I had, which is why I passed on the record. Sounds like they expect to be liked just because. Well, L'i'l Jimmy ain't that easily gotten, ok? Besides, that bari player should knock one off before coming out in public to try and pull. Patience is a virtue, as is lasting longer than  60 seconds.

TRACK THREE - https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&sca_esv=595152334&sxsrf=AM9HkKl4r09ApR1auL3oJCotU81wDMm31A:1704225025926&q=ernie+wilkins+blues+for+duane&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjD_6X6vL-DAxXpnWoFHTuaBp4QBSgAegQICBAC&biw=1400&bih=733&dpr=1.2#ip=1

I would like to hear this whole record, that's a very nicely mixed group of personalities! And not the drummer, who certainly knows how to drive this bus like it need to be drove!

TRACK FOUR - HOMEBOY! "Minor Move", Shelly does Tina, no scissoring involved! And that's good, because there's no cutting needed here!

TRACK FIVE - "Fungii Mama"., that's Jimmy Heath tune, right?  On a Blue record. Not sure if I'd buy this record, but if I had bought a ticket, I'd have stayed all the way to the very end. Pianist is definitely carrying knowledge and dropping more than just a little science. Trumpet is having a good time and not expecting to be loved in return, which is how it should be!

TRACK SIX - Some Swingin' Gentlemen Of Jazz! For Sure! These folks knw how to make a record. Could have made it much longer and kept it interesting, but whoever it was said, no that's not what we want. So ok, they made it short and still kept it interesting. That's what professionals know how to do, they don't take it personal, they just do the gig and overcome anything and everything. Got a bit of Thad Jones in the trumpet, but no, wait, that's Lee! Wynton Kelley? Almost? Very familiar, and the sound of the record is that of a Vee-Jay, but I can't fit all the pieces together. But, yeah, this is ok, this is how you get in, get through, and get across. And then keep doing it.

TRACK SEVEN - So not Milt Buckner, eh? But Gatemouth, yes? Easily sleuthed, and the organist is not a new name to me, but this certainly adds flesh to the skeleton!  to me, but the leader/trombonist certainly is familiar!  This is how people who like it like this want it done, totally. And it's totally real, which as time passes is less and less the case. This type of thing,,,,you don't miss your water until your well runs dry, as they say.  https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1552553111612988

TRACK EIGHT - Oh jeez, that's Buddy Tate. Two times in three months, it's a RESURGENCE!!!!!! I totally dig Buddy Tate, and I think the older he got, the looser/better he got. No idea who the other players are, but they're not trying too hard, which means that it's flowing nicely.

TRACK NINE - Hush Puppies! Joe-Not-Joe on tenor, so...Junior Cook? Seems like I know this record from somewhere, which really narrows it down...no matter, this is one of those things that you can be forgiven for finding sleepy on a superficial listen. But a serious listen shows it to be anything but!

TRACK TEN - Ok, one of THOSE guys...they never ran into a wall, they just kept making the room bigger. Don't have a specific ID, but there's not that many people it could be. Jesus, shit's totally in the pocket. Everybody's a badass here, EVERYBODY!

TRACK ELEVEN - Ok, yeah, this works! A LOT of ideas nicely knitted together here. Bass wa,ks better than solos, imo. Drummer does what should be done, as fed by the pianist. I was worried this was going to be a bit of a "novelty" take on by-now cliche tune, but no, it's actually a refreshing look inside an old suitcase that the grandkids might have just thrown out to get the closet space.

TRACK TWELVE - "Walkin' My Baby Back Home".  Hip dance jazz. Toughass tenor knowing just what to do. Not Jug, but Rusty Bryant or one of those guys that could simply play any gig and make it right. Plas? Probably not? Sam Taylor, maybe Gator.  The organ using what I have come to learn via this forum is called the "Shemp" setting. Jimmy Smith probably made it popular for "modern" ears, but this is not that. No matter, them's some dance playing right there! Oh fuck, that's Bill Doggett, right?

TRACK THIRTEEN - That an older alot player whose pitch is beginning to wander, but not at the expense of an innately dead-on sense of melody, and a really hip pianist who knows where all the notes are, and make the ALL right. In a world fully of wholly preordained correct genericism, I love this type of thing now more than ever.

Wow, didn't plan on putting in this time for this on this day, but once it got going there weren't no good sense in stopping until the end1 Thanks for the assemblage, and to variate a previous comment, even if I wouldn't buy the record, I sure as hell will come early and stay late. Nicely assemblaged!!!!!!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

I almost picked up a copy of Bobby Watson's Estimated Time of Arrival the other day, and this sounds like something I would have expected to have heard on there if I had, which is why I passed on the record.

That's a good album, you should have bought it.  Watson's writing was wonderful back then, and, hey, Walter Davis Jr. was in the house.  In many ways an extension of the Blakey albums of the same period.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Ok. a window is open, so let me jump in before it closes!

TRACK ONE - Ok, so NOT Mongo, which is a relief, because the alto player is not up to either Bobby Capers or Sonny Fortune or Hubert Laws, at least not in this groove. It's a bit lick-y/run-ny. But the lack of montuno puts it in its own zone, one of Mongo (not him) or Willie Bobo (and not him), so....sounds like a Latin cover of a Top 40 hit that never was a Top 40 hit LOL. But that could be Bobby Capers? Latin Jazz Quintet? Don't think it's Pucho...That's kind of a Garnett Brown opening lick, so....nope, nothing really jumps out there....oh my, bebop scat! And competent at that! No ID, but it's a groovy track, that's for sure.  I guess it's the performance/tune because the alto is a significant if neglected name.

TRACK TWO - Hmmm....they want me to snap my fingers and pat my foot, don't they. Well, they think me to be a cheap date then! And I can be, but only if there's a payoff for being one.  The bass and piano seem to think there is, but on the whole....sorry. I almost picked up a copy of Bobby Watson's Estimated Time of Arrival the other day, and this sounds like something I would have expected to have heard on there if I had, which is why I passed on the record. Sounds like they expect to be liked just because. Well, L'i'l Jimmy ain't that easily gotten, ok? Besides, that bari player should knock one off before coming out in public to try and pull. Patience is a virtue, as is lasting longer than  60 seconds. I feel like I have to listen again to be sure I programmed what I wanted to.  You're in for a serious surprise and got some 'splainin' to do when that happens.

TRACK THREE - https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&sca_esv=595152334&sxsrf=AM9HkKl4r09ApR1auL3oJCotU81wDMm31A:1704225025926&q=ernie+wilkins+blues+for+duane&spell=1&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjD_6X6vL-DAxXpnWoFHTuaBp4QBSgAegQICBAC&biw=1400&bih=733&dpr=1.2#ip=1

I would like to hear this whole record, that's a very nicely mixed group of personalities! And not the drummer, who certainly knows how to drive this bus like it need to be drove! DING. DING.

TRACK FOUR - HOMEBOY! "Minor Move", Shelly does Tina, no scissoring involved! And that's good, because there's no cutting needed here! I was honestly unsure if you would get this, though this was one of the "you're our only hope" tracks. To me he didn't come across this way on his Leaning House Jazz release but maybe he was going for more of an older style for that record.

TRACK FIVE - "Fungii Mama"., that's Jimmy Heath tune, right?  On a Blue record. Not sure if I'd buy this record, but if I had bought a ticket, I'd have stayed all the way to the very end. Pianist is definitely carrying knowledge and dropping more than just a little science. Trumpet is having a good time and not expecting to be loved in return, which is how it should be!  This is one of the tracks I considered a gimme and now we know the tune title. I thought this recording got some notice here but we'll see if someone knows or sleuths.

TRACK SIX - Some Swingin' Gentlemen Of Jazz! For Sure! These folks knw how to make a record. Could have made it much longer and kept it interesting, but whoever it was said, no that's not what we want. So ok, they made it short and still kept it interesting. That's what professionals know how to do, they don't take it personal, they just do the gig and overcome anything and everything. Got a bit of Thad Jones in the trumpet, but no, wait, that's Lee! Wynton Kelley? Almost? Very familiar, and the sound of the record is that of a Vee-Jay, but I can't fit all the pieces together. But, yeah, this is ok, this is how you get in, get through, and get across. And then keep doing it.  That is Lee.  Who are the rest?

TRACK SEVEN - So not Milt Buckner, eh? But Gatemouth, yes? Easily sleuthed, and the organist is not a new name to me, but this certainly adds flesh to the skeleton!  to me, but the leader/trombonist certainly is familiar!  This is how people who like it like this want it done, totally. And it's totally real, which as time passes is less and less the case. This type of thing,,,,you don't miss your water until your well runs dry, as they say.  https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1552553111612988

I was going to include that link in the reveal ... certainly a track where mileage varies.  I dig Gatemouth and don't think I knew that he picked his guitar without a pick.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

TRACK EIGHT - Oh jeez, that's Buddy Tate. Two times in three months, it's a RESURGENCE!!!!!! I totally dig Buddy Tate, and I think the older he got, the looser/better he got. No idea who the other players are, but they're not trying too hard, which means that it's flowing nicely. It's a great record IMHO.

TRACK NINE - Hush Puppies! Joe-Not-Joe on tenor, so...Junior Cook? Seems like I know this record from somewhere, which really narrows it down...no matter, this is one of those things that you can be forgiven for finding sleepy on a superficial listen. But a serious listen shows it to be anything but! Thom got this one.

TRACK TEN - Ok, one of THOSE guys...they never ran into a wall, they just kept making the room bigger. Don't have a specific ID, but there's not that many people it could be. Jesus, shit's totally in the pocket. Everybody's a badass here, EVERYBODY! 

TRACK ELEVEN - Ok, yeah, this works! A LOT of ideas nicely knitted together here. Bass wa,ks better than solos, imo. Drummer does what should be done, as fed by the pianist. I was worried this was going to be a bit of a "novelty" take on by-now cliche tune, but no, it's actually a refreshing look inside an old suitcase that the grandkids might have just thrown out to get the closet space. I thought the pianist would surprise, we will see if no one comes up with the answer.

TRACK TWELVE - "Walkin' My Baby Back Home".  Hip dance jazz. Toughass tenor knowing just what to do. Not Jug, but Rusty Bryant or one of those guys that could simply play any gig and make it right. Plas? Probably not? Sam Taylor, maybe Gator.  The organ using what I have come to learn via this forum is called the "Shemp" setting. Jimmy Smith probably made it popular for "modern" ears, but this is not that. No matter, them's some dance playing right there! Oh fuck, that's Bill Doggett, right? Not Doggett or any of the others mentioned ... which may be a clue in itself, Obi Wan ...

TRACK THIRTEEN - That an older alot player whose pitch is beginning to wander, but not at the expense of an innately dead-on sense of melody, and a really hip pianist who knows where all the notes are, and make the ALL right. In a world fully of wholly preordained correct genericism, I love this type of thing now more than ever.  I think of it as deeply soulful and in a not remotely cliched way.

Wow, didn't plan on putting in this time for this on this day, but once it got going there weren't no good sense in stopping until the end1 Thanks for the assemblage, and to variate a previous comment, even if I wouldn't buy the record, I sure as hell will come early and stay late. Nicely assemblaged!!!!!!

Glad you liked it.

On 1/2/2024 at 3:22 AM, JSngry said:

Maybe Mongo on #1?

Definitely not!

Doesn't sound like Capers to me, and it's not the Latin Jazz Quintet. That track is not in my collection. Not a Latin band, I'd say. Conga player is not one of the greats, almost looses the groove during one of his fills at the end. Piano and drum set sound is awful.

Edited by mikeweil

So let me continue:

Track 2: better players than in track 1, although the conga player and drummer are not really together with their accents on the second beat. But really good players overall.

Track 3: Nice blues riff, I have a version with a much simpler arrangement but cannot remember the title. The recording catches the live energy very nicely. Trumpet player sounds very familiar.

Track 4: Sounds like a fusion of two tunes I know. I'm no longer listening to this kind of jazz any more, and this shows in my guesses. But I liked the solos in track 3 much better. 

Track 5. That's a calypso tune Blue Mitchell recorded on one of his Blue Note LPs. It looses a lot of its charm when played that fast. Piano player is a little too busy for my taste. More calypso groove, please. Trumpte is a good player, though. 

More tomorrow.

8 hours ago, mikeweil said:

So let me continue:

Track 2: better players than in track 1, although the conga player and drummer are not really together with their accents on the second beat. But really good players overall.

Track 3: Nice blues riff, I have a version with a much simpler arrangement but cannot remember the title. The recording catches the live energy very nicely. Trumpet player sounds very familiar.

Track 4: Sounds like a fusion of two tunes I know. I'm no longer listening to this kind of jazz any more, and this shows in my guesses. But I liked the solos in track 3 much better.  Jim ID'd the tune and you and Thom hear something that I never thought of for this classic BN hard bop composition (or noticed anyone else say something similar).

Track 5. That's a calypso tune Blue Mitchell recorded on one of his Blue Note LPs. It looses a lot of its charm when played that fast. Piano player is a little too busy for my taste. More calypso groove, please. Trumpte is a good player, though. 

More tomorrow.  👍

5 minutes ago, felser said:

I ordered a used copy of #4 yesterday, will report back on the CD.

If you'd waited I'd have just sent you mine at the end of the month. I am sure you'll enjoy - there were at least two other Felser tracks I considered before settling on the Tina Brooks cover.

3 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

If you'd waited I'd have just sent you mine at the end of the month. I am sure you'll enjoy - there were at least two other Felser tracks I considered before settling on the Tina Brooks cover.

Very kind of you, thanks!  Maybe give it to Jim.  The one I got was $3.99 with another $3.99 shipping, so not a big expenditure

Track 12 - Can't be what it sounds like to me.  "Nothing you can do can tear me away from my guy."  Jug-adjacent tenor, with what sounds like a lesser rhythm section.  Is this one of your Percy Faith inclusions?   I assume you meant to type Percy France as I wouldn't know where to begin in my extensive Percy Faith section of the stacks. This song was a major hit for Nat Cole 12 years before "My Guy".

Saw that and fixed it, but you must've got there before I did.  I think my fingers got ahead of my brain on that one -- it happens.