Nina Simone - Blackbird: The Colpix Recordings 1959-1963

mjzee

71zvpG9yghL._SL1500_.jpg

Another intriguing upcoming reissue (Amazon doesn't give a release date).  As best I know, the Colpix masters are owned by Warner - maybe this is licensed from them?  But the description makes it seem legit:

First-ever luxury 8CD box set of expanded editions of the critically-acclaimed and Treasured Albums That The Iconic Nina Simone Recorded For Colpix Records From 1959 To 1963 Which Formed The Very Foundation For The Global Reach She Achieved As Peerless And Influential Artist Over The Decades That Followed. With An Astounding 107 Tracks Covering Over Seven Hours Of Music, The Original Albums 'The Amazing Nina Simone' (1959), 'Nina Simone At Town Hall' (1959), 'Nina At Newport' (1960), 'Forbidden Fruit' (1961), 'Nina At The Village Gate' (1962), 'Nina Simone Sings Ellington' (1962), 'Nina Simone At Carnegie Hall' (1963) And 'Folksy Nina' (Recorded In 1963, Released In 1964), Augmented By 29 Bonus Tracks Consisting Of Single Edits, Non-LP Sides And A Wealth Of Other Material Found In The Colpix Tape Vaults In The Early 2000's. Including the legendary performer's first readings of classics such as 'Wild Is The Wind', 'I Want A Little Sugar In My Bowl', 'Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out' and 'Sinner Man' (key cuts that Nina would revisit over later albums after her Colpix tenure ended). Plus an astonishing array of diverse material from torch songs 'You Can Have Him' and 'The Other Woman' to the gospel-flavoured 'Children Go Where I Send You', and a later version of Nina's first US breakthrough 1958 hit 'I Loves You Porgy' along with her indelibly distinctive take on folk songs 'Cotton Eyed Joe', 'Little Liza Jane' and 'Black Is The Colour Of My True Love's Hair'. With stellar remastering from Nick Robbins and exemplary artwork design by Tony Hodsoll, this essential reissue of Nina Simone's eclectic early recordings features a personal essay from Aaron Overfield (her official archivist), commentary by renowned film producer/ storyteller Nia Hill (librettist of the opera 'Nina Simone's Absurde) and extensive notes from historian and SoulMusic Records' reissue producer David Nathan, who founded the first UK Appreciation Society for Nina Simone in 1965.

44 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Definitely in on this if it is indeed legit. I have only Rhino’s long-ago 2-CD anthology from this period. Thanks for the heads-up!

Ditto!  I have that Rhino anthology also, and a number of the original LPs in varying states of condition.  It's hard to imagine this not being legit, given the inclusion of so many rare tracks.  They must have gotten those from someplace.

I have the seven single CDs that EMI/Parlophone issued in 2005, all with bonus tracks, remastered, and new liner notes. Folksy Nina was included on the Carnegie Hall CD as they come from the same session. I want to read track lists before I go for this new box.

The tracks on my seven CDs add up to 107 also, so I don't expect new material.

Edited by mikeweil

I have dozens of reissues by the umbrella company (Cherry Red Records, they have a number of specialty labels), and they are totally legit.  Also beautifully done and kindly priced.  Their website gives a March 29 estimated release date on this, though their dates do slip sometimes.  Import CD's is especially good on pricing this label.  They have this 8 CD set on pre-order for $40.50.  I definitely plan on picking this one up (can then sell/trade off a bunch of individual CD's), and already own the Philips and RCA boxes and the lone CTI release, so I'm set Nina-wise.

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/nina-simone-blackbird-the-colpix-recordings-1959-1963-8cd-box-set/

Edited by felser

Thanks for posting that link. They added the bonus tracks in a different oder and to different albums than the reissues I have. The single edits are not different takes, just edits. Maybe they now have better discographical info, which would explain their changes in bonus track order. Being a big Nina fan, I'm tempted.

German retailers list it at € 64 to 70.

Edited by mikeweil