Looks Like The End For Sports Issustrated

Looks like Sports Illustrated is at the end of its run, and what a great run it had. I think most sports fans my age (65) or older had a subscription to SI in their younger days. I did in the late 60s to mid 70s, and I didn't realize how special that time was for SI. The writing was outstanding, and pre-internet, cable, streaming, you waited for their articles about important games and series. The also had these interesting in-depth articles that were always the last one of the issue.  I often wonder how many people came to love good writing reading about something they loved, sports.

I try not to get too melancholy about things, since that is a disease of old age, but SI and the Sporting News where my go to sports magazines and both gone or a mere shadow of what was. Frank DeFord, Roy Blunt Jr., Tex Maule, Peter Gammons, Dan Jenkins, and many others, what a rich heritage.

Edit: For spelling

Sports Illustrated

Edited by Matthew

One main problem is the whole notion of magazines is anachronistic.  Somewhere between a book and a news article, the impression of timeliness but already old when you receive the issue, their main selling point seemed to be consideration - that these ideas were pondered before being written, and a weekly magazine gave the writers the time to reflect and express something knowledgeable.  Nowadays, that sort of profession isn't given very much respect - indeed, journalism, now more than ever, seems to require a healthy dose of self-promotion, whether on Twitter, cable news, or wherever: the journalist becomes the brand.

Seconding Matthew’s sentiments here—Sports Illustrated and (to a lesser extent) the Sporting News were household staples of my childhood. These days the Athletic fulfills that role for me, though my interest in following all sports except for baseball has dwindled to near-non-existence. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought SI effectively died years ago, within a year or 2 of ceasing physical publication (my sister used to work for the parent company). The current incarnation is "name only" / smoke and mirrors and couldn't really have fooled anyone with a financial background.

I grew up with SI, and back in the old days ('60s through '80s that I recall), it really had a lot of quality journalism and featured some prestigious authors, though the touted photos mainly seemed to be retouched. I even resubscribed for a few years in the oughts (due to $10 annual subscription), but it became clear that the traditional magazine could not survive in the Internet era and was struggling for direction.

I dug The Sporting News back in the day, occasionally purchased though never subscribed, but that seemed to (effectively) bite the dust before SI.

Many old media names no longer bear resemblance to their ancestors...outside sports, Forbes is a good example.

No longer a sports fan to speak of. Agreed that The Athletic seems quality, but I just don't care enough about the underlying events to subscribe.

When I played hockey and was a serious fan, I subscribed to The Hockey News for a few years in the '90s. Had to google, but that publication still seems to exist. Amazing! Presumably devoted Canadians keep it going. 👍

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2024 at 7:41 PM, GA Russell said:

Well, I'm not going to be reading the new incarnation. I'm on the same page as @ghost of miles, baseball only (limited interest in the 49ers), and got a subscription to The Athletic, due to a $1.00 a month offer. I wonder though, how much longer I will keep an interest in sports, I'm hanging on with baseball but it's not the same game I grew up with, and with each rule change or scandal (now Ohtanit!), it becomes more difficult to be a fan.